Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 only Hosting for single Domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 only Hosting for single Domain

Any tuts out there where we can host 1 website with 1 IPv6?
i cant seem to find any .

The VPS is set to NAT IP + 2 IPv6.
Their is enough ram and disk.

I installed nginx to test out and used dns.he.net for DNS. Added a AAAA record to the domain but it doesnt seem to load.

What am i missing here?

Comments

• Just to make sure, have you restarted or reloaded the nginx configuration first?

• @Gunter said:
    Just to make sure, have you restarted or reloaded the nginx configuration first?

Yes i did.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015
    listen [ipv6]:80 ipv6only=on;

Shall help. Replace "ipv6" with the IPv6 address you use for hosting that site. The one you already set in HE's DNS.

So your vHost should look like:

server {
        listen [2607:f8b0:4002:803::1006]:80 ipv6only;
        server_name mysite.com www.mysite.com;
        root /path/to/sitefiles;
    }

• my config is like this :

server { listen [2607:5300:60:77d5::129:62e]:80 default_server ipv6only=on; server_name _;

• but still doesnt loads...
    i pinged the IP it seems okay...

• I can load the IP address in my browser and it loads a Nginx EPEL splash screen.

What is the domain?

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    I can load the IP address in my browser and it loads a Nginx EPEL splash screen.

What is the domain?

tested with a ipv6 enabled proxy
    just a question : does the client need to have ipv6 enabled browser or their router must be configured to view a ipv6 only website ?

• Tested with my native IPv6 ISP connnection.

The proxy you use might have IPv6 but if you don't have IPv6 it might not resolve IPv6 for you. Don't know your setup though.

PM me the domain so I can see if I can access it over native IPv6?

• Router needs to be set up for IPv6. Lots aren't. Also, this is a handy site:
    http://test-ipv6.com/

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Router needs to be set up for IPv6. Lots aren't. Also, this is a handy site:
    http://test-ipv6.com/

Not necessary. Proxies can translate IPv6 when sending back to client. When you access sites with IPv6 such as ipv6.icanhazip.com you will see the proxy IPv6 even if you have absolutely no IPv6 on your side.

OP is using a proxy with IPv6 support. Given that he asked if he needs to have IPv6 setup on router level I suppose he has no IPv6 connectivity. Now depending on what proxy he is using it might not be able to translate IPv6 back to the client and so he cannot access IPv6 addresses.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • The client will need IPv6 , you're better off using Cloudflares IPv6 to IPv4 translation thingy.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

@ATHK said:

Yeah, that is a good solution if you don't bother about the MITM in case he is going to use SSL on the site.

I made a guide for that https://freevps.us/thread-16793.html with a few goodies if he is interested. If not it's just point 2.1 and 2.2 to follow to setup IPv4 reverse proxy via CF for IPv6 only hosting :).

@RockBeltHOST PM me the domain please so I can test?

• thanks got it working

• @RockBeltHOST said:
    thanks got it working

Could you share what you did to get it working, please?

• @0xdragon said:
    Could you share what you did to get it working, please?

I followed @hidden_refugee 's tutorial

• @RockBeltHOST said:
    I followed hidden_refugee 's tutorial

Thanks, that'll help people who hit this page from Google :)