Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I setup my server if java isn't working to access console? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I setup my server if java isn't working to access console?

Comments

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited November 2015

@lowendguy7 said:
    The OS is centos6.

Thanks for link.

No problem, that's for ubuntu though. Here's the CentOS 6 one.

Ninja edit: The tutorial suggests changing the SSH port, it's a well debated topic but honestly there's no need to, in fact many suggest not to.

As long as you disable root login and make use of a decent (I mean a very decent, non common word/s password) or SSH key's for your other users then you should be fine.

• @lowendguy7 start with iptables......

• @century1stop said:
    lowendguy7 start with iptables......

Yeah, throw iptables at a Linux newbie! The pain cannot start early enough...

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Amitz what do you recommend? :)

• Installing CSF, for example. That gives him at least some kind of GUI and a .conf file that he can edit to get some basic firewall protection in place. iptables is a nightmare for most starters.

• @Amitz good recommendation

• @Amitz said:
    Installing CSF, for example. That gives him at least some kind of GUI and a .conf file that he can edit to get some basic firewall protection in place. iptables is a nightmare for most starters.

Well as I said above Im running solely from the command prompt at the moment. I like doing things this way actually makes me feel like a pro :)

• lowendguy7 said: Well as I said above Im running solely from the command prompt at the moment. I like doing things this way actually makes me feel like a pro :)

CSF has a config file that describes what every option does and is very easy to edit/configure

• lowendguy7 said: Well as I said above Im running solely from the command prompt at the moment. I like doing things this way actually makes me feel like a pro :)

Fully understood! Still iptables can take you from 'feeling like a pro' to 'I want to kill myself' within seconds... ;-)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

You can use VNC Viewer which does not use java. RealVNC work on Windows/Linux/etc OS.

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited November 2015

Ok so I installed it but not changed any settings yet. I did 'iptables-save' reading that apparently that chekcs if it's running but i can make no sense of the output so that doesnt help me.

Here is the output: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/98c5e42acea87e7ab397

Is it running then or not?

Also do I have to change any of the config options? or just leave the defaults. Also also does this program run on its own every time I boot up the server?

And now I have that installed do I still need to do the other stuff above such as making another user and changing the password?

• lowendguy7 said: I like doing things this way actually makes me feel like a pro :)

Change your console font color to Green. That's what pro's in films do. /s

As previously mentioned, Installing CSF will help you.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • what do you get for iptables -L -n

• hmm you didn't manage to save 'em :)
    what do you get fr cat /etc/sysconfig/iptables

• better for you to pm me for further assistance :)

• I successfully managed to send over a test file earlier using pscp. I took a break then when I came back later and tried to send another file it won't work any more. I keep getting the message: Network error: network is unreachable.

Any idea what might have happened in the interim to cause it to stop working? Im still connected in the terminal and have functionality.

• iptables running? could be blocking sshd

edited November 2015

but why would it have worked earlier? i didnt change anything from when it worked an hour previous.

• not quite sure, did you do anything? perhaps restarted something?

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

is networking okay now? dacentec could have restarted or something too.

• hey, settled?

edited November 2015

edit.

edited November 2015

EDIT: Never mind figured it out :). I was using ":" in the ip address instead of "."

• @lowendguy7 said:

github file 404 error
    could be dacentec network, not sure tho
    vnc in okay?

edited November 2015

If you mean did I manage to transfer the files yes :)

• Is there a way to reduce lag between my local machine and the server or is the only way to buy one nearer to me? Because there pause is a bit of a nuisance whenever I type.

• you mean with vnc or ssh? vnc does have a lag but it's not too annoying, ssh wouldn't. probably the network

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

while we are on the subject, just like to clarify distance do not affect much since networks in North America and Europe run with optical fiber, more importantly, peer provider networks should work with optimum traffic volume.

only networks that still utilize copper cable connectivity ie Asia, will be affected by distance