Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I setup my server if java isn't working to access console?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do I setup my server if java isn't working to access console?

Got my dacentec server ready now.

I need to install windows but I can't get in the terminal as java gives an error on that janky little app page.

What are my options now? Support ofc are asleep now since I am in europe.

Comments

• What browser are you using?

• Provider server make and model will help and screen shots will help us to help you better

• I tried with firefox and chrome. Chrome no longer allows you to use that java plugin while firefox gives some java error. 'found unsigned entry in resource'

There isnt much to see in terms of screenshots, just the info I gave above.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Search for the "Configure Java" program on your PC, then add the IPMI IP/URL to the trusted sites list and drop the security from "very high" to "high" and that should do it.

• People still use Java nowadays? Oh god. Dacentec should get something like noVNC HTML5 VNC to pair it with their IPMI/KVMoIP.

• @SpeedBus said:
    Search for the "Configure Java" program on your PC, then add the IPMI IP/URL to the trusted sites list and drop the security from "very high" to "high" and that should do it.

Java dropped Medium security, which is basically what made having to deal with IPMI not a huge pain in the butt. When you're running the application, you'll see a URL that's trying to run the app. Enter this EXACT URL into your Java exceptions. If it's https, add https. The exact URL. That should fix the problem.

• It was already on high and I set the url in the list and still no dice.

@SpeedBus said:

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

lowendguy7 said: It was already on high and I set the url in the list and still no dice.

Did you re-start your browser and any instances of Java still running on your PC after setting the URL?

• lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited November 2015

just tried and no change.

Is there not some other way to access it than this 90s java interface? Im all for oldschool but only if it works >_<

@SpeedBus said:
    Did you re-start your browser and any instances of Java still running on your PC after setting the URL?

• lowendguy7 said: Is there not some other way to access it than this 90s java interface?

SuperMicro IPMIview, it's still java but it's a tiny bit more reliable.

• use chrome but you'll need to enable NPAPI
    https://allinlearning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204245434-Re-enabling-NPAPI-Plugins-in-Google-Chrome-After-Early-April-of-2015
    if it still doesn't work, add exception for js site

• npapi wasnt in the list and chrome is apparently up to date.

How to add exception for js site? You mena all js sites or just the dacentec site.

• In most cases, IE works fine with IPMI consoles. ;)

• @sdglhm said:
    In most cases, IE works fine with IPMI consoles. ;)

Same message in explorer too :(

• @lowendguy7 said:
    npapi wasnt in the list and chrome is apparently up to date.

How to add exception for js site? You mena all js sites or just the dacentec site.

just the dacentec vnc console url. which version of windows are you using?

edited November 2015

Ok guys I got in using putty ssh.

I have no idea what I'm doing now though as I just get the barren console root. What should I do to install files and things? :) I guess I'll google it.

Im trying to think if its better to stick with linux and learn it (since it will be better for resources) or to install windows or a gui version of linux? I want to run python scripts on it, I guess I will want some gui access for ease since it will take a big leanring curve to get used to only the console right away.

Thoughts?

Bear in mind I want best performance with the little resources I have here. I got the 2 dollar vps on dacentec re the hardware. Im presuming its better to stick with console only for performance so maybe Ill try this way and see how I go.

• @lowendguy7 said:

careful with your load average :)

• Not sure what you mean?

• @lowendguy7 said:
    Not sure what you mean?
    Dacentec vps come with 3 load categories, standard < 0.45, +$5 < 0.75 and +$10 < 1.0 :) good luck

• @Hidden_Refuge said:
    People still use Java nowadays? Oh god. Dacentec should get something like noVNC HTML5 VNC to pair it with their IPMI/KVMoIP.

Sadly a lot of remote access solutions (E.g Ilo/IDrac Supermicro BMCs.etc still use it)
    So whilst you can use HTML5/noVNC for stuff like Virtual machine consoles you often still need Java to access the console of the physical box via the IMPI.

edited November 2015

@century1stop said:

Dacentec vps come with 3 load categories, standard < 0.45, +$5 < 0.75 and +$10 < 1.0 :) good luck

I still have no idea what that means. What is a load category. Are you saying if I go over load then I get charged?

edited November 2015

Hmm I only get 16megs down/up for internet speed. Is that normal? Seems low to me? or is it to be expected for a 2 dollar server :P

Hmm, I did a check vs my home one, and i get 11mbits at home but only 0.2 upload so it should still be a nice improvement :)

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

@lowendguy7 said:
    I still have no idea what that means. What is a load category. Are you saying if I go over load then I get charged?

maybe, not too sure

Hmm I only get 16megs down/up for internet speed. Is that normal? Seems low to me? or is it to be expected for a 2 dollar server :P

BINGO

• @lowendguy7 said:

I believe he's trying to say that at certain price brackets you're expected to stay under a certain load (CPU usage), if you go over you wouldn't be charged more, most likely suspended and asked to keep your resource usage under check.

For example (if what century1 is true, I cannot confirm or deny as I don't have a dacentec server) then you would need to keep your VPS under a load of 0.45.

It sounds like you're fairly new to linux, I'd highly recommend you follow a tutorial or two to at least secure your OS first before it gets breached.

edited November 2015

I was going to look at your offers but your website link shows as untrusted. You might want to look into that :)

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @Umcookies said:
    It sounds like you're fairly new to linux, I'd highly recommend you follow a tutorial or two to at least secure your OS first before it gets breached.

Hmm what do I need to google for to secure it? Ie the terminology of tutorials I would be looking for?

I used to leave my windows vps's open all the time and running 24/7 never had a problem. Not that it was ideal, but just saying.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited November 2015

@lowendguy7 you mean ssl isn't working correctly? will be updating that....(order pages aren't there yet, restructuring) :)
    you can try this too https://hostedbilling.net

• @lowendguy7 said:
    Hmm what do I need to google for to secure it? Ie the terminology of tutorials I would >be looking for?

>

I used to leave my windows vps's open all the time and running 24/7 never had a problem. Not that it was ideal, but just saying.

I'm saving you some ridicule for later if / most likely when you come back to complain about being suspended for DDoS or something similar when you'd never do such a thing. It happens a lot, takes a few minutes to prevent and is good practice anyway.

The answer to your first question depends on your OS, digital ocean tends to have plenty of acceptable tutorials on the matter.
    For example this tutorial for Ubuntu 14.10

edited November 2015

The OS is centos6.

Thanks for link.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lowendguy7 said: What should I do to install files and things? :)

You have three choices:

1. Become a professional sysadmin
    2. Hire a professional sysadmin
    3. Get rooted
    Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3