Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS colocates Raspberry Pi for free?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS colocates Raspberry Pi for free?

Comments

• Is it only available in Austria?

• Available freely worldwide, I believe.

• @CoolMoon said: Just saw that...is that true? anyone interested?

You have to pay for shipping + USB stick with OS preloaded/IP configured + USB power/data cable.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2012

@CoolMoon said: anyone interested? :)

lol Edis has been offering that for 6+ months or so

• @Liam said: Only in their Austrian datacentre, yes.

Damn :( Lost hope

• Yea, and it is still offered :)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited October 2012

What's the specs for transfer, then? As I recall, the Pi is hard-pressed to do more than 10 mbit/sec, so do they give 3000 gb/month?

(edit) Nevermind, read the article, dummy. Sigh.... (/edit)

• Still waiting my Raspberry Pi to arrive - ordered in June and still nothing much here yet!

• @Damian said: What's the specs for transfer, then? As I recall, the Pi is hard-pressed to do more than 10 mbit/sec, so do they give 3000 gb/month?

100Mbit shared / 100Gb Traffic :)

• I meant you can order from wherever, it wasn't restricted to .at citizens.

But yeah, only available in the .at DC.

• @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited October 2012

@joodle said: @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

I'm sure they would do that. You shouldn't forget: You also have to include a SD-Card/USB-Stick with preconfigured OS+network...

But anyway: Come on... NL -> AT isn't that far away, you can also ship that on your own :)

• @Amfy said: I'm sure they would do that. You shouldn't forget: You also have to include a SD-Card/USB-Stick with preconfigured OS+network...

But anyway: Come on... NL -> AT isn't that far away, you can also ship that on your own :)

I know, was just a question lol

• @joodle said: @William can we also order a RPi and let it ship to the datacenter?

Yes - You need to HAVE them write EDIS GmbH on them then
    AND ship an SD card with the preconfigured OS.

• What if the SD card is broken down? I have to ship the unit back and replace one then return it to Austria? Maybe they could sell some system SD cards and some USB flash drives for storage space to cover part of their cost...

• How would you do a reinstall? Reboot is pretty simple, power off, on.

Offtopic, since when is @Liam administrator? Last time I saw, it said mod?

• @Raymii said: How would you do a reinstall?

You don't...

• @CoolMoon said: What if the SD card is broken down? I have to ship the unit back and replace one then return it to Austria?

Yes.

@CoolMoon said: Maybe they could sell some system SD cards and some USB flash drives for storage space to cover part of their cost...

We can't sell storage mediums (for taxing reasons, copyright tax)

How would you do a reinstall? Reboot is pretty simple, power off, on.

Reimage.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

is this still offered? Like, forever? Got several without use

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Liam Community Currator?

• @netomx said: is this still offered? Like, forever?

Yes/Yes

Thanked by 1djvdorp

@William said: Yes/Yes

can you give me your address?? :)

• @netomx said: can you give me your address?? :)

You need to order it for the IP data....

@William said: You need to order it for the IP data....

thank you! Just did that

• pcanpcan Member
    edited October 2012

Has anyone here already put a Raspberry Pi on colocation at EDIS ? Does it work well ?

A limitation of Raspberry Pi is the need to reflash the SD card on a PC when upgrading to the next Raspbian major release, and this does not play well with colocation. Raspbian is the Raspberry Pi Debian port, and is pretty complete. Early Raspbian releases had a buggy driver that was causing packet loss at high CPU; this has been fixed on september Raspbian image. I was waiting for this fix before eventually shipping the board. A colocated Raspberry Pi could be a useful small backup server, to avoid storing data on shared disks.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@pcan said: A limitation of Raspberry Pi is the need to reflash the SD card on a PC when upgrading to the next Raspbian major release

Nope, that's a limitation of Raspbian.

(also I am not sure this is really mandatory, you could probably still do apt-get dist-upgrade + some additional stuff manually).

• @William are there lots of people already who colocated rpi with edis?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Anyone tried this http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008 ? Looks pretty good as with 1 Ghz the RPi becomes a bit more usable and could be used to host small sites / forums ?

• I stupidly forgot to fill in a customs declaration (didn't think I really needed to within the EU), so I think Austrian customs kept mine :-(