Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can a Xen-PV instance run lxc containers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can a Xen-PV instance run lxc containers?

smalletsmallet Member
edited October 2015 in Help

Can a Xen-PV instance with 3.2 kernel (Ubuntu or Debian), run lxc containers without any problems? All I know about the Xen-PV is that their guests run modified (or not?) kernels.

Can I just do apt-get install lxc and be done with it? Anyone tried it? I think lxc-checkconfig gives most of the needed info.

Comments

• smallet said: Can I just do apt-get install lxc and be done with it?

That works for me on Ubuntu (with Internet access behind NAT). You just need to forward ports with iptables, if required.

Idk what Xen-PV is but I'd say anything with full virtualization can run lxc

• Well, it isn't full virtualization.

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited October 2015

Why don't you just try it, tell us, and if it doesn't work ask a refund?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Raymii said: Why don't you just try it, tell us, and if it doesn't work ask a refund?

Tried it, works perfectly.
    Used LXD to simplify the testing. I am really liking it, much easier to use than the lxc tools.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Xen-PV still has a "real" eth device and runs a "near" native kernel - more than OVZ. Docker/LXC works fine on it, both in NAT and in bridge mode.

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

You can.