Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Investor/Partner Needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Investor/Partner Needed

While I'm sure everyone will laugh at me because of a certain previous thread, I figured I might as well post one of these threads in case I meet someone interesting.

I have a great domain that would be perfect for a VPN service. I'm interested in offering a VPN service that caters to a specific group of localized people, hopefully people who are worried about privacy/spying and stuff but don't have the technical know-how to do these things themselves. For example, I currently have a lot of resources already paid for in Los Angeles, and I want to target local consumers such as college graduates/students that are worried about privacy/NSA and whatnot (you know the ones with macbooks) and offer them an encrypted connection. While I'm mostly interested in clients closer to me because I already have a presence here, I'm also open to other locations if there is good enough justification.

What I'm looking for:

A partner who has experience marketing. VPN is even more niche than hosting, and requires a really keen marketer in order to convince people of a cheap and easy solution to their privacy issues.

A partner who is extremely experienced in securing, monitoring, and configuring a VPN. While I'm comfortable with administrative tasks and basic system security/monitoring, someone with 5-10+ years of experience in networking, vpns, and servers would be helpful to have on the team.

While I have experience configuring servers in more standard web hosting configurations, If there is someone out there who has specific experience with VPNs i'd love to work with him/her.

PM me with your skype if you're interested. If anything, I honestly think the domain I own is very good for a vpn business (i own the .com and .net) so if you're interested in the business but don't want a partner, pm me for the domain if you want to buy it.

Comments

• Jonchun said: I'm sure everyone will laugh at me because of a certain previous thread

Looking for a business partner sounds much more legit than looking for an investor, but:

if you're interested in the business but don't want a partner, pm me for the domain if you want to buy it

You probably won't find a decent business partner if your level of commitment at this point is that you have a domain name that you're trying to sell.

I currently have a lot of resources already paid for in Los Angeles ... and I want to target local consumers such as college graduates/students that are worried about privacy/NSA

Nobody who is concerned about the NSA spying on them is going to buy a VPN in LA.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Out of curiosity, why would anyone buy a VPN instead of a cheap VPS? There are plenty of VPN installers out there for those that are not technical, and almost all VPS comes with a dedicated IP.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited October 2015

@singsing said:
    Nobody who is concerned about the NSA spying on them is going to buy a VPN in LA.

I guess it's not as much an NSA thing as it is marketing tracking and other corporations. The target group consists of those that own a macbook pro, buy every new edition of the iphone, and post the privacy notices on their facebook wall.

You probably won't find a decent business partner if your level of commitment at this point is that you have a domain name that you're trying to sell.

I didn't specify price range because I don't really want to let go of it. You do have a point and I understand where you're coming from. However, I was mentioning it as an option because I would be stupid not to accept a very high bid.

Again, target audience. While I'm posting this here on LET, the target audience is obviously not anyone who would browse a forum like this.

@PetaByet said:
    Out of curiosity, why would anyone buy a VPN instead of a cheap VPS? There are plenty of VPN installers out there for those that are not technical, and almost all VPS comes with a dedicated IP.

Because of the target audience. The same reason people order fully managed dedicated servers from GoDaddy when they can literally get 5 times the specs/service from a more reliable provider. I also plan to include stuff like adblocking, Ip rotation, etc with the VPN service

Thanks for the comments both of you! Appreciate you not instantly trolling.

• Are there scrapers/botters you know that can collect facebook user ids and insert them into facebook ads?

I think it was possible up to now, but I never advertised on FB.

Ah, that's the one: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/custom-audiences

Jonchun said: post the privacy notices on their facebook wall.

• @GM2015 said:
    Are there scrapers/botters you know that can collect facebook user ids and insert them into facebook ads?

I think it was possible up to now, but I never advertised on FB.

Ah, that's the one: https://www.facebook.com/business/a/custom-audiences

Yea this would definitely be a way to get ads to the correct target audience.

And for reference, I'm talking about the people who post this crap:

Due to the fact that Facebook has chosen to involve software that will allow the theft of my personal information, I state: at this date of January 4, 2015, in response to the new guidelines of Facebook, pursuant to articles L.111, 112 and 113 of the code of intellectual property, I declare that my rights are attached to all my personal data drawings, paintings, photos, video, texts etc. published on my profile and my page. For commercial use of the foregoing my written consent is required at all times.

Those who read this text can do a copy/paste on their Facebook wall. This will allow them to place themselves under the protection of copyright. By this statement, I tell Facebook that it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, broadcast, or take any other action against me on the basis of this profile and or its content. The actions mentioned above also apply to employees, students, agents and or other personnel under the direction of Facebook.

The content of my profile contains private information. The violation of my privacy is punishable by law (UCC 1-308 1-308 1-103 and the Rome Statute).

• Jonchun said: And for reference, I'm talking about the people who post this crap:

Oh that? The Facebook executive ROFL script?

• @singsing said:
    Oh that? The Facebook executive ROFL script?

Yeap. In my opinion, the type of people who copy paste that stuff are the type that would be willing to shell out $10/month extra to make their internet "secure".

• Jonchun said: Yeap. In my opinion, the type of people who copy paste that stuff are the type that would be willing to shell out $10/month extra to make their internet "secure".

I don't think so. I think they'd rather send the following letter to the NSA:

Dear Mr/Mrs NSA Agent:
    Hello, my name is <insert name here>, and I live at <insert address here>. I hereby withdraw consent to be spied upon, effective immediately. According to the Bill of Rights, my communications are personal and private and I hereby declare that they are nobody's business but my own, and violation of my privacy is punishable by law.

Thanked by 2jh Mark_R
  • @singsing said:
    I don't think so. I think they'd rather send the following letter to the NSA

they'll do what they're told.

Thanked by 1jar
  • AgaAga Member

Jonchun said: The target group consists of those that own a macbook pro, buy every new edition of the iphone, and post the privacy notices on their facebook wall.

Jonchun said: Yeap. In my opinion, the type of people who copy paste that stuff are the type that would be willing to shell out $10/month extra to make their internet "secure".

Is by any chace you domain vpnSnakeOil.com?

It's almost sound like your business plan is target rich clueless people, and you want a get a ten bucks a head for more 'secure' internet.

• As it's some kind of new industry from the 22nd century. Bigger entities have been doing this for thousands of years man.

Aga said: It's almost sound like your business plan is target rich clueless people, and you want a get a ten bucks a head for more 'secure' internet.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Aga said:
    It's almost sound like your business plan is target rich clueless people, and you want a get a ten bucks a head for more 'secure' internet.

1) It is technically more secure.
    2) Yes. Those types of people are the target audience. They're willing to pay more in exchange for a more managed service. It's not a scam. It's just a different business model.

You don't have to like the idea. Your thoughts are probably shared with the majority of LET users because the LET audience is filled with "techies" that like to figure things out themselves and pay as little as possible. $10 is not even 1 hours wage for a month of hiding your traffic behind a VPN, which is fair for an average consumer.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Jonchun said: $10 is not even 1 hours wage

That's a big problem on the marketing front, btw. You're looking for a "really keen marketer" who could be making, eh, let's say $30/hr easily working elsewhere. That means they have to attract at least one customer for each hour of work, even if you give them 3 months' of fees per signup they generate.

What I'm saying is you've got a product so cheap that it's not worth selling.

If you could charge $100 flat rate for this VPN, and give the marketer 75%, then you might have something.

• AgaAga Member

Jonchun said: Your thoughts are probably shared with the majority of LET users because the LET audience is filled with "techies" that like to figure things out themselves and pay as little as possible.

My problem with the idea has nothing to do with the lack of a DIY approach, even less with your price range.

Jonchun said: $10 is not even 1 hours wage for a month of hiding your traffic behind a VPN, which is fair for an average consumer.

Normally I could agree that it's a cheap/fair price, bu the way you worded your self almost sound like you were just selling the feel of security for people that are clueless enough to not notice.

At least for me it's sounded like, let's get and amplify the FUD about NSA spying for people that are gulable enough to buy a service that will add almost none protection for some bucks. Then you said it's not about NSA spying, it's just marketing tracking and other corporations.

Jonchun said: 1) It is technically more secure.

A lot of things can be 'technically more secure' and pretty damn useless when put into practice.

The VPN could help, but only if it was right implemented. And tbh even than it would not be something to trust.

My problem is not with a shelf product for $10/mo. It's for a shelf product that will probably not deliver as the user expectations. It's just a sense of security that you are selling, not security.

But, it would be totally possible that I misinterpreted you and I'm completely wrong about this.

• AgaAga Member

GM2015 said: Bigger entities have been doing this for thousands of years man.

People have raped for thousands of years, is that a valid reason for everybody start raping?

• @singsing said:
    What I'm saying is you've got a product so cheap that it's not worth selling.

If this theoretical marketer is good enough to sell this product at $100 flat rate, then so be it. He only has to attract one customer for every 3 hours or work or whatever. I don't see where you're going with your example. A lower price makes it easier to attract customers, thus they need to attract more customers per hour worked. On the flip side we can charge more but it would be harder to attract clients. All that matters in the end is that the sales get made.

Normally I could agree that it's a cheap/fair price, bu the way you worded your self almost sound like you were just selling the feel of security for people that are clueless enough to not notice.

Again this was just a quick post. Details and proper business plans would be drafted together if I find this partner. What you interpreted as "snake oil" was just me giving an example of sample marketing approaches.

It's for a shelf product that will probably not deliver as the user expectations. It's just a sense of security that you are selling, not security.

Users interested in this type of service would be using it for increased privacy and it would still be a significant step to prevent data mining, revealing ip, etc. It could be bundled with a private email service, gpgmail, etc. I don't plan on underdelivering if that's what you're implying.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Some people don't need reasons.

Aga said: People have raped for thousands of years, is that a valid reason for everybody start raping?

• AgaAga Member

Jonchun said: I don't plan on underdelivering if that's what you're implying.

Yes, I was implying that.

Jonchun said: Users interested in this type of service would be using it for increased privacy and it would still be a significant step to prevent data mining, revealing ip, etc. It could be bundled with a private email service, gpgmail, etc.

Adding more services on top of that doesn't change much what I was implying. Allow me to try to be more clear.

Your product can be security, and can be a fake sense of security. Even if you hand-out a 101 on the topic if the tech side isn't right it's useless. You could do all this and it would still be useless if you hand everything for anyone who asks with a warrant at anytime.

People will trust in your product, and some may do stupid things based on this trust. And it will backfire on them. Unless you are planning to fight to protect your user data. Even when you are things can go south.

I'm not saying that VPN business can't exist, I just think that even when they are air-tight planned it's just an layer of security. And to be fair I'm implying a lot of things based on almost nothing.

I'm working with what you told, you want a marketer to sell your product, and said that someone with more experience in network, vpns, servers would be 'helpful'. Here is where I think you have your priorities messed up. Unless it's more important to sell no matter what, instead of delivery a rock solid product.

Anyway, I get that I misinterpreted you and I'm sorry for that.

• I'm sure US government will sponsor this!

• @linuxthefish said:
    I'm sure US government will sponsor this

I'm sure they're already sponsoring enough of these projects.