Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to Amazon workspaces
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to Amazon workspaces

etcSudoersetcSudoers Member
edited April 2014 in General

There has to be someone out there in the lowend community that provides something similar to the Amazon workspaces.

The pricing is, in my opinion, high for basically providing a VM with a windows licence...
http://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/

Does anyone know any offers? Private cloud stuff is nice, but general RDP is really all I am interested in

Comments

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

I can't really suggest anyone within the LEB budget. If you can go up to 10-$15 USD/month, I'd suggest just hunting for Windows VM providers and a minimum of 1GB RAM or you'll cry about the speed. :/ Then again, I cry about the speed of SSH when I connect to over 100ms+ latency so I'm kinda picky.

Personally, I just use Google Apps for 'Office Stuff' and a SSH connection to a Gateway box for remote management.

• @Abydon said:
    Then again, I cry about the speed of SSH when I connect to over 100ms+

Are you a goddamn leopard or something?

• AbydonAbydon Member
    edited March 2014

@texteditor said:
    Are you a goddamn leopard or something?

I notice any delay greater than my local desktop and it annoys me. It is a personality flaw, I suppose.

I think it comes from all the video games. We probably should stay on topic so I'm not going to reply further to this line of questioning. ;)

• @Abydon said:
    I think it comes from all the video games. We probably should stay on topic so I'm not going to reply further to this line of questioning. ;)

Did you ever play the cabelas hunting gamez on teh pc?

• @Abydon said:

Personally, I just use Google Apps for 'Office Stuff' and a SSH connection to a Gateway box for remote management.

Google just lowered their storage prices drastically; hopefully they'll do the same with Google Apps, though I don't remember exactly how much they charge right now.

• @ILMostro7 said:

$50/user/year [ http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html ]

It is quite reasonable.

• thanks @Abydon I agree, not bad...depending on what you get, I'll have to check it out again; I had a free trial for a while, but I didn't really use it :p

• Well, you basically get a standard google account with no ads + business features. Its only worth it if you want a professional looking google account. [e.g. your domain, not @gmail]

• @Abydon said:
    Well, you basically get a standard google account with no ads + business features. Its only worth it if you want a professional looking google account. [e.g. your domain, not gmail]

Basically, but you also get support, uptime guarantee, better spam protection(?), backups, ActiveSync support, and archives. Like Red Hat, companies pay for support.

• That is what I meant for business features :P

• nonubynonuby Member
    edited April 2014

The problem with RDP is to get the benefits you need to using a Windows 8+ desktop (or 2012 svr) as freerdp code (and all those that depend on it remmina, xrdp etc..) havent implemented the latest protocol features. In short you need to a Windows user (and all the associated headaches) or within 25ms rtt, otherwise you'll find the experience disappointing, esspecially if you intending on using a remote browser. As Google apps get better (and they do, look at appscript) the need for standalone apps is fading, I know a lot of people gave up on Goolge Apps years ago but definitely worth another try (...cue the league of Strong Opinions, Weakly Held regarding NSA..)

@abydon, mosh can alleviate a lot of the perceived pain of 100ms remote ssh hosts..

Thanked by 1Abydon
  • @nonuby said:

abydon, mosh can alleviate a lot of the perceived pain of 100ms remote ssh hosts..

If this works as advertised, I love you.

• tchentchen Member
    edited April 2014

@nonuby said:
    The problem with RDP is to get the benefits you need to using a Windows 8+ desktop

For what it's worth, Microsoft does have a Mac OSX RDP client that works just as well as the windows client.

edit: an official RDP client also exists for Android.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2016

@mat1911 said:
    spam snip

Spamcunt?

• Nah, he just was searching for this thread for two months after joining to drop his only comment on let.

Nekki said: Spamcunt?