Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Synchronizing two Windows PCs over internet - but not through cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Synchronizing two Windows PCs over internet - but not through cloud

loydloyd Member
edited August 2015 in General

Hi everyone, looking for ideas on this:

I have two Windows PCs that beside their primary function serve as NAS via Windows shared
folders. One PC is at my home office and one at my main office. One folder is shared data that should be same on both PCs. It has some 100k files and few dozen GB. I used to synchronize it using 1TB small harddrive where I would WinMerge changed files when leaving one office and coming to other. Because these are shared folders where few other people change files on both sides, and because I also lack discipline to do it daily, it leads to occasional issues.

There must be better way, ideally file change should be detected immediately and changed file copied within minutes, but I would prefer my data not to go through any clouds.

Comments

• Btsync. Simple to setup and sync whatever. I use it to do the same thing you are looking to do.

• abatabat Member

Syncthing works well as an alternative to BTSync.

• +1 for Syncthing

• cececece Member

btsync

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@elixir said:
    +1 for Syncthing

Evil software, it hurts nodes really, really bad.

• Syncthing is great

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

+1 for Syncthing

• Sycthing use too many resources. i prefer btsync much more

• +1 btsync (I personally like the version 1 more)

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2015

I installed BitTorrentSync, it asked if I wanted to get Sync Pro features for 30 days, the only option on that screen was "Try Pro free for 30 days" button so I pressed escape. And then just blank program window ... (blank as frame with title, minimize, maximize, exit buttons, but nothing inside).

When I restart it, it just goes to the same screen with comparison of Free and Pro and seems I have to accept "Try Pro free for 30 days" otherwise the software will refuse to do anything.

• loydloyd Member
    edited August 2015

So I accepted the "Pro for 30 days".

Created test directories on both sides. Added the file on side A, it detected it and created *.bts file on side B. When I clicked it, it transferred the file from A to B. Weird, but ok.

Added New Text Document.txt on side A. It transfered to B almost instantly. Changed name to todo.txt. In few seconds it changed on side B. Added text to it. In few seconds was on B. Good.

Now I added file on side B. Nothing. Nada. Changed text in file todo.txt ... it changed back to what was on side A.

It seems to be one way only ... ? Files are not fully transfered, only placeholders are created and files are only transfered when clicked.

I actually need this:

1. file added/deleted/changed on A - appears on B
    2. file added/deleted/changed on B - appears on A

Hopefully perhaps I am doing something wrong.

There is some sharing options, I will need to spend more time with this later tonight.

THANKS EVERYONE

• UPRUPR Member

Goodsync does a good job of pc to pc sync. You can define one way or any hybrid sync properties.