Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

500GB storage + 512MB RAM for 20$!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

500GB storage + 512MB RAM for 20$!

WilliamWilliam Member
edited September 2012 in Providers

1 vCPU
512MB RAM
500GB HDD (1TB +10$)
Linux OS (Windows +10$)
4TB Traffic @ 100Mbit
1 IPv4 (IPv6? no idea)
Piscataway, NJ (Choopa DC)

Order:
https://www.constant.com/order/order.php?PLANID=610&cpu=617&ram=827&hard_drive=822&bandwidth=611

Sounds unbelieveable... any expiriences? Seems to be Xen. HDD might be a single, dedicated, disk and no RAID.

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

If it is reliable provider, I'd buy a few of these, no matter where they are located. But it sounds unreasonable, 500gb for 20$. Maybe over-used old single drives.. But if it is in raid array, I really find it concerning.

• dnomdnom Member
    edited September 2012

It's RAID 10 according to the website.

All Cloud Servers Include:

Full root or remote desktop access
    Inherited increased redundancy through RAID 10 architecture
    Dedicated IP allocation
    No long term contracts
    Ability to customize the kernel
    Many operating system choices, including: Windows Server, Fedora, Scientific Linux, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Red Hat ES, Oracle Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, Oracle Solaris, NetBSD, OpenBSD. Full list available on the checkout page

https://www.constant.com/cloud/dedicated_cloud/

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Considering choopa had a 8Tb dedicated server deal for about $60 a month and about $100 setup, I would say it sounds believable to me.

• @Zen said: Main reason I need EU is so I can encode my videos and stream them to me without any risk of lag (USA tends to be slightly problematic)

Choopa has great EU BW, i have one of their 8TB specials and do 12MB/s since today night to get my backups from them to my home PC.
    So i guess this won't be an issue.

• I think it's a single dedicated drive too. Is this an established provider?

• @fan said: I think it's a single dedicated drive too. Is this an established provider?

They are owned by Choopa, so yea.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Now this is what i like :)
    Even if io is bad, it will not matter as the network is slow enough and i think these will be mostly for backup, anyway.
    M

• How about the Hostslim previous offer? :D

• Similar to Kimsufi? :L

• @eastonch said: Similar to Kimsufi? :L

You get a dedi, more RAM and more storage with Kimsufi :)

• For the guys on the West Coast, we picked up a storage node from BuyVM for all misc data this week: 512mb / 500GB storage / 15.00 per month

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Not seeing what's the big deal over a Kimsufi.

• I swear this was going to be EDIS and I was going to explode. :X

Thanked by 1birdie25
  • @rm_ look at the prices; they're crazy for what you're getting (especially HDD space with the 2G however it's usually a crappy old/slow drive good enough for backups). However I now swear never to go near OVH again.

• I live right next to piscataway. I'm really close to choopa, nac.net, atlanticmetro and all the dc's in NYC. seems that I made a good choice :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@jkr1711 said: look at the prices;

Don't explain me what Kimsufi is, I know them and already have one, thanks.
    I was asking why people think "500GB storage + 512MB RAM for 20$!" in this thread is such a big deal to even put an exclamation mark there; that I don't see any advantages this offer has over a Kimsufi 2G.

• ztecztec Member
    edited September 2012

Why would you buy this and not a kimsufi with 2GB ram and 1TB storage?

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • @ztec said: hy would you buy this and not a kimsufi with 2GB ram and 1TB storage?

Let's see - ECC RAM?
    Besides everybody and his mother already has a kimsufi. Diversity is a good thing.

• japonjapon Member
    edited September 2012

@ztec said: Why would you buy this and not a kimsufi with 2GB ram and 1TB storage?

• Network, Location
    • Hardware independency
    • Easy up- and downgradeable
  • Still, with a dedicated server you're not sharing anything, which is why I stepped away from VPS a couple of months a go.

Location is the only really valid point I see, the others are valid as well but are just not very great selling points.