Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 seconds to fill your 10GB VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

7 seconds to fill your 10GB VPS

KenshinKenshin Member
edited September 2012 in General

Initial software RAID0 array test of 4x Intel 520s.

dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=1M count=10k conv=fdatasync
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out
10737418240 bytes (11 GB) copied, 6.99275 s, 1.5 GB/s

Might actually be faster if I enable hardware RAID, but it's 6:30PM now and I want to get out of office :)

Edit: Hardware RAID0 at 1.3GB/sec, so it's slower. Linux rox?

Thanked by 1klikli

Comments

• Going Singapore next week and I heard hardwares are cheap there. What's the market price for 520s there?

• Singapore has cheap hardware? Since when?

Lol no.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @cosmicgate said: Going Singapore next week and I heard hardwares are cheap there. What's the market price for 520s there?

Cheap? No way. The only things I buy locally are stuff I want warranty on, everything else I shop on ebay.

http://www.tradepac.com.sg/

They have cheap pricing most of the time so it's a good reference, but their support is "meh" unless you know them well enough. 520 240GB are S$330 a pop, about US$264. Newegg is US$250 so yeah, definitely not cheaper.

• Hardware is just as expensive here as it is elsewhere, if not more >_>

Thanked by 1klikli
  • hell no cheap? you got the wrong place. its very expensive

• the only cheap thing related to singapore is airplane ticket from my country...

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @cosmicgate said: Going Singapore next week and I heard hardwares are cheap there.

In the trade shows (commonly called PC Shows) you can get some good deals.

Like this one was being sold at S$99 ($79.41) only (Brand New).

• @Mon5t3r said: the only cheap thing related to singapore is airplane ticket from my country...

Plane ticket price itself yes, but Singapore's airport tax isnt' cheap.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2012

If you want cheap Hardware you don't want to shop in Singapore.
    You want to go to Kuala Lumpur (HDDs, CPUs, General components), Hongkong (everything/general) or Shenzhen (China) (everything that is produced in China) for that.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • That sucks. Now I don't know what to spend on in Singapore.

• @cosmicgate: Food. But that itself is expensive as well heh.

• KenshinKenshin Member
    edited September 2012

@Jack said: For example when looking for Laptop chargers they seem to be based in HK but when they come after the 31days worth of shipping its a like clone of the real thing.

Most clones are reproductions but some clones are the originals with the manufacturer's logo, so they are pretty decent. Problem is discerning which is which. Avoid if it looks dodgy. For chargers, the heavier/denser the better generally, same rule for power supplies.

@cosmicgate said: That sucks. Now I don't know what to spend on in Singapore.

Food, and only local food. Avoid anything that originates from other countries unless you never intend to go to that country. Singapore is a food haven because there's almost every cuisine somewhere and it's usually decent but usually nowhere near the real thing, so you're getting anywhere between 60-80% of the real taste. We import a lot of ingredients as well as spices so taste is close, just not authentic enough. Most of the time I blame the meat, our meats don't taste as good in general.

Stay away from retail shops that have stuff you have in your own country. Property/land is expensive so it results in higher rent, that effectively translates into higher costs of retail products. We don't manufacture much in Singapore, so most goods are imported, price won't be much cheaper than wherever you're from.

Enjoy the food, enjoy the sights, enjoy the people, but stay away from shopping unless it's a non-tourist area. If you see a shop/restaurant/eatery with many locals queuing/buying, that's where you go to get your bang for buck. There's nothing Singaporeans are better at than getting the most value out of their money, and we're always willing to queue to get it.

• @Kenshin said: Plane ticket price itself yes, but Singapore's airport tax isnt' cheap.

absolutely noooo hahaha Sometimes we can get AirAsia ticket only around 500k IDR to singapore or kuala lumpur.. That even cheaper than us (Indonesian people) traveling to our own country island. ex : Borneo, Sulawesi, and worst Papua (around 3 million IDR).

• @Boltersdriveer said: Food. But that itself is expensive as well heh.

yummy food comes first :) its not expensive if you know where to eat..

:)

• @Mon5t3r said: absolutely noooo hahaha Sometimes we can get AirAsia ticket only around 500k IDR to singapore or kuala lumpur.. That even cheaper than us (Indonesian people) traveling to our own country island. ex : Borneo, Sulawesi, and worst Papua (around 3 million IDR).

But if you come to SG... You need to spend a lot of money! Expensive!

• @Randy said: yummy food comes first :) its not expensive if you know where to eat..

Heh, I'm always interested in cheap and good food, but since the company has been paying for most of my food expenses...

• @Kenshin said: But if you come to SG... You need to spend a lot of money! Expensive!

yeah. only the air - yickets are cheap :) once you are in changi airport that is a different story :)

• Well.. you can always spend your money at Geylang

JK

• @Boltersdriveer said: Heh, I'm always interested in cheap and good food, but since the company has been paying for most of my food expenses...

please dont finish all of the expenses , if not you no money pay for the bills. but no worries Mr. Walker will help you =)

• @NanoG6 said: Well.. you can always spend your money at Geylang

and get free STDs? :( food is more worth it

• @Randy said: please dont finish all of the expenses , if not you no money pay for the bills. but no worries Mr. Walker will help you =)

I'm talking about MR >_>

• @Boltersdriveer said: I'm talking about MR >_>

• Are there any places in particular to go for food in Singapore? Now that shopping is out of my list, I don't know where to go anymore other than universal studios. (my gf and I will be there for 4days)

• @Jack said: Isn't everything in Hongkong replica's?

Depends where you buy...

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @cosmicgate said: Are there any places in particular to go for food in Singapore? Now that shopping is out of my list, I don't know where to go anymore other than universal studios. (my gf and I will be there for 4days)

go to Batam or any other Riau islands province. :P

• @cosmicgate said: Are there any places in particular to go for food in Singapore? Now that shopping is out of my list, I don't know where to go anymore other than universal studios. (my gf and I will be there for 4days)

Depends on what kind of food you like. Usually we choose by country (eg. jap/chinese/indian/malay/others), then from there decide where to eat. But for tourists I generally recommend a few things that are must-try. I'm not sure where you're from (abit lazy to search) but I'm just going to list a few local stuff that you really need to try.

1) (Local-Chinese) Chicken Rice, it's almost everywhere you go, just stand for 5 minutes during lunch hour and compare the traffic in front of the store vs other stores around. If it's good traffic, they have good chicken rice.
    2) (Local-Chinese) Char Kway Teow, there are a few well known stalls. This blog (http://ieatishootipost.sg/) lists some of the best ones. They require a bit of traveling via cab, but it's worth it.
    3) (Local-Indian) Roti Prata, it's almost everywhere. There are a few in the shopping centres even, and those are decent and always have a long queue. Good stalls hard to come by, refer to blog if you're willing to hunt.
    4) (Local-Chinese) Sambal Sting Ray, basically BBQ Sting Ray with chilli. Order a bowl of rice to go along and it'll be perfect, the rice helps reduce the spiciness of the chilli.

If you are moving around on your own and love food, read the food blog I posted and try marking down some of the stuff that you're willing to travel to try. Then just take a cab to your destination, taking note to avoid peak hours. Never travel on cab between 5:30pm-7:30pm on weekdays, you're better off reaching your destination by 5pm and walking around instead of getting stuck in traffic while the cab meter runs it's worth.

• i guess someone here can be your tour guide :) dont miss our local foodies :)

• okay, back to on topic.. :D

@Kenshin said: Edit: Hardware RAID0 at 1.3GB/sec, so it's slower. Linux rox?

i'm more curious to the type/brand of "hardware" you're using now.

• @Mon5t3r said: i'm more curious to the type/brand of "hardware" you're using now.

Earlier testing was done on a i3-540 on a LSI 6G raid card. I've moved it to a spare SM E3-1230 board I found lying around so I'm doing some tests now with the onboard 2x SATA3 vs LSI's SATA3. The LSI card is cacheless so that's probably why mdraid performed better. I'm still hunting around for a good SATA3 raid card, most of them are too expensive to buy and screw around with.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r