Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the most you would spend on dedicated core/ram combo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Whats the most you would spend on dedicated core/ram combo?

VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
edited July 2015 in General

Just out of curiosity (guess you could call it market research) I was wondering what someone would be willing to spend on something like:
1 Core (Dedicated)
6GB RAM (Dedicated)
480 GB SSD Disk

and how much bandwidth you would want for something like this also.

Comments

• I could probably get this for $10/yr from somewhere like GVH, and he's a corporate member on WHT so you know he's legit

• VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
    edited July 2015

hostnoob said: he's a corporate member on WHT so you know he's legit

Well if thats all I need... :P

• hostnoob said: I could probably get this for $10/yr from somewhere like GVH, and he's a corporate member on WHT so you know he's legit

Yup. Even he'll provide SSD for that price.

• Disk not dedicated?

• VPSSoldiersVPSSoldiers Member
    edited July 2015

sdglhm said: Yup. Even he'll provide SSD for that price.

I meant to put SSD in there.

budi1413 said: Disk not dedicated?

Though I'm sure its possible and I'm sure people do it, I don't know why anyone would oversell disk space IMO its stupid to do so. I have the same thought process on RAM.

• PwnerPwner Member

In all seriousness, it would really depend on the physical processor. Also, would the resources be adjustable based to my needs? I understand that in most VPS environments, the bottleneck may usually be the restrictions placed on shared cores, but in most cases, people don't usually need 6GB of dedicated RAM. It would be nice to trade off RAM for more disk space or even another dedicated core for the same price. As for the price, it wouldn't make sense to pay more than $10/month since one could just purchase a Kimsufi and get more dedicated resources for a little bit more in price.

• @Pwner said:
    In all seriousness, it would really depend on the physical processor. Also, would the resources be adjustable based to my needs? I understand that in most VPS environments, the bottleneck may usually be the restrictions placed on shared cores, but in most cases, people don't usually need 6GB of dedicated RAM. It would be nice to trade off RAM for more disk space or even another dedicated core for the same price. As for the price, it wouldn't make sense to pay more than $10/month since one could just purchase a Kimsufi and get more dedicated resources for a little bit more in price.

Just an initial thought, I'm still looking into different methods of implementing the whole thing, though I have a feeling I will never be able to come close to $10/mo unless I get a heck of a good deal on at least a duel hex core server, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

• VPSSoldiers said: at least a duel hex core server

Saw some random e7-48(something) offering for $120. Even their website doesn't server proper ssl but self signed.

• @VPSSoldiers said:
    Though I'm sure its possible and I'm sure people do it, I don't know why anyone would oversell disk space IMO its stupid to do so. I have the same thought process on RAM.

Because customers don't all use 100% of their assigned resources so if you have plenty of free resources available you might as well sell it, and it ends up resulting in cheaper pricing.

I think $15/mo would be fair enough but I think someone who needs that much RAM and disk space would need more than 1 dedicated core. Most people who need a dedicated core probably won't need that much RAM or disk space so it's kinda overkill

• sdglhm said: Even their website doesn't server proper ssl but self signed.

Let me throw money at them! :P

hostnoob said: I think $15/mo would be fair enough but I think someone who needs that much RAM and disk space would need more than 1 dedicated core. Most people who need a dedicated core probably won't need that much RAM or disk space so it's kinda overkill

That plan I listed was based off just a server I saw advertised, I was thinking of a way to use up all the RAM and cores (was only a dual socket quad core) hints why I don't think I would need more cores to use up the RAM in that particular server.

• Agree with the @hostnoob. Per dedicated core, around 2-4GB is more than enough. Because if someone is going to use 6GB heavy application, they would need more than one dedicated core. Not to forget this will allow you to match the pricing with your expenses ;)

• tommytommy Member

why provider keep asking

1. do you want to pay X for Y?
    2. how much you willing to spend for X?

and many more nonsense question.

• @tommy said:
    why provider keep asking

1. do you want to pay X for Y?
    2. how much you willing to spend for X?

and many more nonsense question.

Market research, from more than just current customers. I'm curious how much people are willing to spend rather than how much I want to charge. I don't want to charge an amount for something that people won't pay. Its not really nonsense, its planning ahead and seeing what the market will pay. If you don't do research and plan you are surly going to fail. The way this topic has gone, I'm not sure I could compete with the current prices out there unless I got a good deal from a reputable company though it has also given me insight to something that I may implement in the future.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Not more than $12-15 a month with only one core. I'd even take multiple shared cores, if it means being able to burst when I need to.

• sc754sc754 Member

Contabo do something quite similar and they charge 8 euro for it, if it's pure ssd then I'm guessing more than that.

• tommytommy Member

VPSSoldiers said: I don't want to charge an amount for something that people won't pay

Lol. Then make $0.5/year.

no matter how much do you charge for client, if your service is top notch people will still buy it (Linode, Amazon ECS, 6sync, etc). Like $15/y 128 from buyvm, out there many provider offer 512MB/y but buyvm still there.

• tommy said: no matter how much do you charge for client, if your service is top notch people will still buy it (Linode, Amazon ECS, 6sync, etc). Like $15/y 128 from buyvm, out there many provider offer 512MB/y but buyvm still there.

As many people have stated the price seems to average $10/mo there is no way for me to compete with that (at this time) with the server I was looking at, as for the specs I stated I would have to charge at the very least ~$18/mo just to break even. Even though I do my best to provide "top notch" services I know I couldn't please everyone and as with most things the more you charge the more people expect (not just in terms of the actual service but support as well) as I stand right now I try my best to help with every support question no matter how extreme (e.g. tonight I helped a customer install an OS with an automated installer) and walked this customer through logging in with putty, granted I can't do this every time (also why I don't advertise managed service). To get back on track with the server I was looking at I could only fit 8 customers on it (with the dedicated cores at 1 core per customer hints also why I was saying 6GB though I would have to knock that down for the host). This was all theoretical to try to see other people's point of views, and though I may end up doing this at some point I don't think now is the best time to get into it (for me personally).

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited July 2015

Delimiter does dedicated x5650 core kvm + 1gb ram for 6.5/m IIRC. Cores+ram can be combined too.

Hard to beat that price if one only neesd 1 core for one's use case .

• PwnerPwner Member

@VPSSoldiers said:
    As many people have stated the price seems to average $10/mo there is no way for me to compete with that (at this time) with the server I was looking at, as for the specs I stated I would have to charge at the very least ~$18/mo just to break even. Even though I do my best to provide "top notch" services I know I couldn't please everyone and as with most things the more you charge the more people expect (not just in terms of the actual service but support as well) as I stand right now I try my best to help with every support question no matter how extreme (e.g. tonight I helped a customer install an OS with an automated installer) and walked this customer through logging in with putty, granted I can't do this every time (also why I don't advertise managed service). To get back on track with the server I was looking at I could only fit 8 customers on it (with the dedicated cores at 1 core per customer hints also why I was saying 6GB though I would have to knock that down for the host). This was all theoretical to try to see other people's point of views, and though I may end up doing this at some point I don't think now is the best time to get into it (for me personally).

If you're looking at $18/mo just to break even, then look towards selling out of the LowEnd market, considering most LET forum users would rather pay established companies like Vultr for that price range to fully utilize their allocated cores. I can't quite remember who said it, but the saying goes that if you're aiming strictly to sell in the LET market only, odds are you won't be very successful, given the low profit margins.

• Pwner said: If you're looking at $18/mo just to break even, then look towards selling out of the LowEnd market, considering most LET forum users would rather pay established companies like Vultr for that price range to fully utilize their allocated cores. I can't quite remember who said it, but the saying goes that if you're aiming strictly to sell in the LET market only, odds are you won't be very successful, given the low profit margins.

I'm not aiming for the lowend market completely, rather just seeing how low I can go and still be profitable. Would I like to be able to sell at lowend prices all the time sure as long as I can profit just a little (as I'm not really looking to make a whole lot of money at this time, rather I want to be able to pay for itself and be able to grow on its own).