Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Lightweight Forum Software
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Lightweight Forum Software

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I saw a post here about a month ago now, and have been unable to find it. It was a super lightweight forum system in PHP I believe. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Comments

• Flarum is where it's at honestly :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

That's the one! Thanks!!

Looks like it isn't even in beta yet. lol!

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Flarum's backend is in NodeJS as for my knowledge not PHP

Their code on github looks to be PHP.... maybe a NodeJS / PHP stack?

• https://github.com/flarum/flarum

You can pull it from github. But still in alpha I think

@QuadCone it looks like they are using Laravel?

Thanked by 1Cloudcone
  • CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Oh yeah! it does look PHP Laravel. I was confused with Ghost blog and Flarum :P

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited July 2015

Is FluxBB a part of Flarum now / they've joined with them?
    http://fluxbb.org/

• nitro85 said: Is FluxBB a part of Flarum now / they've joined with them? http://fluxbb.org/

Yes Franz is now part of the development team.

• Well, before Flarum, there is esoTalk :)

(esotalk.org)

• FritzFritz Veteran

For me Flarum is not that Lightweight, my Android lags when browsing its full Javascript interface.

Even Xenforo / VB does not lag.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Flarum is evil, it requires Javascript. There's really no good reason for that.

Seriously, don't use Flarum. Use something that works without Javascript, until they get their shit together.

• @joepie91 said:

Seriously, don't use Flarum. Use something that works without Javascript, until they get their shit together.

I'm also looking for something without js. Would you recommend any?

• @TheKiller said:
    I'm also looking for something without js. Would you recommend any?

How lightweight are we talking. If you want something really simple and know some PHP you could make your own as a fun little project :)

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • FritzFritz Veteran

Anyone knows what kind of forum script is this (found it while googling).

http://icity.indosat.com/

It says powered by lithium. I'm pretty much like it.

• @joepie91 said:

Welcome to 2015. Unless you're into some specific niche targeting old people, everyone will have js anyways.

• Flarum looks interesting to try..
    Also is flarum has rss like xenforo?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

TheKiller said: I'm also looking for something without js. Would you recommend any?

Seems the basic Discourse functionality works without JS, and most other forums work entirely without JS. Easiest way to verify is to just disable Javascript, and see how well things work.

Jonchun said: Welcome to 2015. Unless you're into some specific niche targeting old people, everyone will have js anyways.

Bullshit. There are plenty of situations where people (or machines) do not have Javascript:

• Feature phone browsers
    • Low-powered devices with JS disabled
    • Privacy/security-conscious folks with JS disabled
    • Terminal browsers
    • Every single one of your users, when there's an error in your JS somewhere
    • Every single one of your users, while they're loading the site
    • Search spiders
    • Archival bots (eg. Wayback Machine)

Progressive enhancement is a thing, and has been around for a good while, and even a few SPA frameworks (React, RiotJS, Angular2?) are starting to reimplement it.

There is no good reason to require JS for anything that isn't a highly interactive webapp. Any site where people spend more time reading than interacting, should work without JS. 2015 or not.

Thanked by 1Gunter