Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel xeon VS AMD Opteron
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel xeon VS AMD Opteron

WHTWHT Member
edited July 2015 in General

Hello guys.

Need to change my server due to cpu load. Am hosting over 400 cpanel accounts in my server.

Which one should i choose?
Amd opteron 4000 - 16 cores
Or
Intel xeon E5-2650v2 - 16 cores

Wich one have more cpu power?

Comments

• WHT said: Intel xeon E5-2650v2 - 16 cores

this is not 16 cores it's 8

• WHTWHT Member

2x of them. Also 2x of amd.

• blackblack Member

Look them up on cpubenchmark.net , it's a good baseline.

• black said: Look them up on cpubenchmark.net , it's a good baseline.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/
    would be better..

• WHTWHT Member

Someone made a good or bad experience with them?

• You need to workout what these 400 cPanel users are actually doing. Are they hitting CPU, disk or RAM.

Upgrading CPU won't solve the problem if they are slamming the disks solidly.

What is your actual system load and what is overwhelmed

• WHTWHT Member

@MarkTurner said:
    You need to workout what these 400 cPanel users are actually doing. Are they hitting CPU, disk or RAM.

Upgrading CPU won't solve the problem if they are slamming the disks solidly.

What is your actual system load and what is overwhelmed

Yeah hitting cpu. 90% wordpress sites over 800 domains. Seo Agency not hosting business.

• @WHT said:
    Yeah hitting cpu. 90% wordpress sites over 800 domains. Seo Agency not hosting business.

Is that you looking at the pure CPU usage, and not higher Load value's, or MySQL load for example due to low IO available.

Do you know what service is using up the CPU time? Apache? PHP? MySQL?, have you fully tunned all your services, including Apache keepalive's MySQL memory/cache usage?

What is your current CPU?

• But is the CPU spiking because of IO lag or SQL latency?

What is your current server specification?

• WHTWHT Member

Soyoustart 32gb 2x2 TB Sata disk.

• @WHT said:
    Soyoustart 32gb 2x2 TB Sata disk.

You have missed off the CPU model, so you start do multiple ranges with the above spec.

• WHTWHT Member

@MarkTurner said:
    But is the CPU spiking because of IO lag or SQL latency?

Any idea how to check if this is a IO problem?

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited July 2015

A quick easy way to see, is run the top command, push 1 to view all the core's separately and check the "wa%" values on each core row.

If your server is busy currently, if you let us know what they sit around for a few minutes, there is alot more you can do to check, however this will give you a basic few if they values are high.

• When you run TOP, whats your wait or XX.X%wa, when CPU load is high.

• What is the output of:

iostat -x

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

You need 4 SSDs in raid 10 at least. That is, if all ram caching has been already done.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I was purchased a AMD cpu due to budget issue but my CPU heat so quickly when I use heavy graphic related work but I think you should compare benchmark of both.

• AMD is long dead...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2015

concerto49 said: AMD is long dead...

It is still very much alive in Brazos, I even play games on it and it uses only some 20 Watt the whole rig in full load, silent even at 28-29 degrees i have at home now. The MB was 33 Eur together with the cpu, full size PCI and PCIe slots, as well as PCIe x1, bluetooth, HDMI, I have a separate rig to test virtualization, too, but bobcat has some issues with freebsd, for example.