Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AspireOne Turns off randomly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AspireOne Turns off randomly

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited July 2015 in Help

Hey guys,

My AspireOne D255 turns off randomly, not like after 5 minutes, sometimes it runs for hours/over night without any issues. Weired.

However the temperature stays arround 50 Degrees celcius, should be okay i think.

Specs:

SSD: Samsung SSD 470 Series, 64GB

What could the cause of that?
I only replaced some months ago the screen because of a break and plugged a SSD into it.
It worked well for weeks/months.

Comments

• namhuynamhuy Member
    edited July 2015

50'c from what? most reboots problem caused by overheating. or the motherboard gets faulty. also check n clean the cooling fan / heat sink.

also, i read alot about "some" ssd causes reboots. google ur ssd model if others have reboots problem.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

If it turns off it is probably temperature.
    If i were you i would exclude OS from the debug.
    I will turn it on go to bios stay there a moment and see what's happening.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Dang it, its the CPU temperature with 51.0 °C.

Already checked, main fan of the Netbook is clean and working.

• What about thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink? Has it dried out and no longer properly conducting.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2015

Today I had to replace the TIM on the other half's laptop as the summer weather when it hit about a month ago finally killed the thermal paste off with it BSOD and rebooting hourly.

From 65-70'c idle temps down to <47'c under a stress test; its actually usable once again.

In my experience pre-built manufacturers also use way too much TIM that can cause issues too.

• BochiBochi Member

Not sure if those come with dedicated GPU but my notebook suffered from the same problem and it was the GPU that caused the instant turn offs, not the CPU...

edited July 2015

@MarkTurner Thanks, I replaced the thermal paste.
    But guess what after first boot ,it turned off before i could reach the login screen of the OS.

Second boot seems like it stays longer as before.

• NomadNomad Member
    edited July 2015

Did you try testing it with different rams?

• I had the same machine and it would sometimes just overheat and shutdown during the boot sequence. I found that the fan was temperamental but the real culprit was the thermal paste.

Do you have an air conditioner you can park it in front of to get it really cold. Then try booting it up and see whether its stays up longer.

We dont have such technology here, the weired thing is as mentioned about sometimes it works for hours (eg 6-8 Hours without issues) but nearly 0% Load.

I would need to put that thing into the fridge, i dont want to do it.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited July 2015

What is your ambient temperature and humidity?

Are you running on battery or utility power?

edited July 2015

22°C mostly, humidty i have no idea.

I need to remove the battery due to, sometimes the notebook switches to the battery instead using AC.
    Dosen't seems to load anymore, while running.

So only running on AC atm.

• TheLonelyTheLonely Member
    edited July 2015

Maybe the CPU started malfunctioning?

• electronics just go bad sometimes man! its time to replace it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Infinity580 said:
    22°C mostly, humidty i have no idea.

I need to remove the battery due to, sometimes the notebook switches to the battery instead using AC.
    Dosen't seems to load anymore, while running.

So only running on AC atm.

It may be the charger? NEtbook asks for more power, charger can't give it, it turns down

Running since 13 Hours fine now, since Memory replacement.

But i had that runtime also before, so lets wait.

@netomx

if it crashes again lemme try to run it on my 12v DC Netbook supply, atm i am using the original adapter so far. Not a third party thingy.

Thanked by 1netomx