Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lightweight socks5 proxy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

lightweight socks5 proxy

LinuxNewbLinuxNewb Member
edited August 2012 in Help

Hey guys I'm looking for a light weight socks 5 proxy to run on my 32mb debian server.
I haven't tried squid because i think it would be too heavy. Currently I'm using dynamic ssh tunneling which is awesome but I would rather have a solely external proxy instead of a localhost one. I tried tinyproxy and it was nice but only http/https also the connection header kept sending "close" and i could never get it to send "keep-alive".

Also can anyone explain the connection issue with tinyproxy?
Also I apologize for my ignorance and/or anything incorrect I have posted, please correct me.

Comments

• I think you would be able to run Squid fine on your server, even if it is that low end.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • LinuxNewbLinuxNewb Member
    edited August 2012

@Magnus said: I think you would be able to run Squid fine on your server, even if it is that low end.

Have you tried it?
    I'll give it a go but would love to hear from anyone else who has tried it.

Edit: I should have looked around a bit before posting.
    I found mocks and i'm going to give it a try.

• akbakb Member

Try sSocks:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ssocks/

Its a lightweight non-forking select based socks5 proxy I have been using for years. Supports socks5 auth also.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I used Bouncer in the past. You can't go more lightweight than that.
    bouncer-1.0.rc6-linux-intel.tar.gz

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • Another alternative:

3PROXY or HTTP, FTP, SOCKS proxy for 5 minutes

works fine on 32 mb VPS

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • Wait, why don't you use do ssh -D or use putty with openSSH?

• akbakb Member

I used Bouncer in the past. You can't go more lightweight than that.

sSocks is much lightweight than that. Its just a 26kb binary on my buyVM VPS in comparison to 329kb of bouncer.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • akbakb Member

Wait, why don't you use do ssh -D or use putty with openSSH?

May be because that doesn't have any authentication support and it opens the proxy for all ??

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • @akb said: May be because that doesn't have any authentication support and it opens the proxy for all ??

Ah right that makes sense. I realized that I didn't even read OP's post fully. My mistake.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • I've used squid and dante with no issues.

Thanked by 1LinuxNewb
  • Try 3proxy, IMO the most lightweight, config friendly and fast
    solution out there, it only consumes between 100-200KB of RAM.

• I'm using squid on a 32mb and it works like a charm.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@akb said: May be because that doesn't have any authentication support and it opens the proxy for all ??

How it doesnt have authentication ? You need to have a shell account for it to work, I think you cant go with more secure authentication than SSH, even can use keys.
    M