Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feathur - The Github is restored. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feathur - The Github is restored.

2»

Comments

• FeathurFeathur Member
    edited June 2015

techhelper1 said: Thanks for the clarification. The website still has the cost on it as well, which is also why I asked.

The $3.50 licenses effectively became donations to support the project. I'll probably update the site at some point to show that.

alexvolk said: Complete rewrite is needed that's for sure.

Complete rewrites are a huge waste of time. You're better off enhancing things and removing what you don't like.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • Maybe if you guys interested I can port to laravel framework

• xDragonZ said: Maybe if you guys interested I can port to laravel framework

Why does everyone think that it needs another framework? It needs to have cPHP removed and be a standalone. Frameworks get in the way and force segregation of developers due to the fact that some developers don't like X framework. If it was in Laravel I'd get a complaint a week that it needs to be in CodeIgniter. No more frameworks ><

Thanked by 1Corey
  • @Feathur said:
    Complete rewrites are a huge waste of time. You're better off enhancing things and removing what you don't like.

Nope, it will only improve the code quality, why? focusing only on code and not wasting time for updating third-party libraries.

Feathur said: If it was in Laravel I'd get a complaint a week that it needs to be in CodeIgniter. No more frameworks ><

Chosing framework is easy. Stick with CodeIgniter 3 (complete composer support).

Laravel changes code too much every year.

Thanked by 1xDragonZ
  • You should rewrite it in Go!

/s

Thanked by 1tszilassi
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

qrwteyrutiyoup said: You should rewrite it in Go!

I think better rewrite in C.

The code design seemed reasonably well thought out last time I looked at it.

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • qrwteyrutiyoup said: You should rewrite it in Go!

/s

XD

• More time to dedicate to a panel who is barely profitable...

@Feathur

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I would be curious to know how many containers are hosted on feathur powered boxes. Wish that data was available. Maybe a future release?

• jbiloh said: I would be curious to know how many containers are hosted on feathur powered boxes. Wish that data was available. Maybe a future release?

That probably goes from "anonymous" to "specific".

Thanked by 1perennate
  • From past experience, @Feathur just hates frameworks and got on my arse about rewriting in Yii a long time ago. While most dev's see the value of a framework with autoloading it seems he doesn't.

• @Feathur said:
    Why does everyone think that it needs another framework? It needs to have cPHP removed and be a standalone. Frameworks get in the way and force segregation of developers due to the fact that some developers don't like X framework. If it was in Laravel I'd get a complaint a week that it needs to be in CodeIgniter. No more frameworks ><

Because you see the code differently from everyone else apparently and it is not well designed in structure. I mean SolusVM's code may just be a bit worse..

• I have much love for Proxmox, but I admit that it's ugly with its use of the ExtJS framework that I moved away from using many years ago. However, it's still functional and stable - it gets the job done!

Like @pcfreak30 and others, I firmly believe in the power of frameworks to assist with simplifying and beautifying an application code base.

However, while this may be an open project, the majority of Feathur is still developed by a handful of guys. As such, the final decision for "big choices" like framework selection should rest with them.

Ultimately, I'd rather have an ugly but fully-functional feature-rich application, than a pretty (both in looks and code) kinda-working fewer-featured one.

Big thanks to @Feathur (Justin) who bringing the project back. I'm sure I'm not the one whose glad to see that the hard-work and effort of this open project was not thrown into the void.

Lastly, instead of all of us arguing about frameworks or trolling the project, if we really want to contribute to the project then there are 33 open issues as well as a list of planned features that still need to be developed.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Nice to bring this back. Anything you need help with to get it going again?

• @concerto49 said:
    Nice to bring this back. Anything you need help with to get it going again?

He's looking for devs and ideas.

• Good to see you back :) I've been using feathur for my own ever since its publish.

• AstroProfundis said: Good to see you back :) I've been using feathur for my own ever since its publish.

Testing or development branch?

• Write it in node.js

<\s>

• @TheLonely said:
    Write it in node.js

<\s>

Fuck that, Perl all the way.

Thanked by 1rahulks
  • It's saying as is.

• KwiceroLTD said: Fuck that, Perl all the way.

You know, when Feathur was just a concept, that actually was on the drawing board.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @Rallias said:
    You know, when Feathur was just a concept, that actually was on the drawing board.

Back to the drawing board!

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

Great !

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Rallias said:

Did you help develop feathur or was it just Justin?

• MikeInMikeIn Member

Sometimes LET has a condition that people tend to move in one direction and all saying same stuff in different way. And not willing to read the one real answer which has mostly been provided.

Common point coming out of it is most of them are they want to use a different framework or language to get feathur start form point 0 (Zero)

Instead of this:

BeardyUnixGuy said: 33 open issues as well as a [list of planned features

](https://github.com/Feathur/Feathur/wiki/About)

It would be great if the original group/ programmer has some short of VETO unless there is compressive accumulation that x is better than y,z, etc with some info...

There can't be a general vote on framework choice sing it will be open for all and some like me can even vote who maybe just know the names and noting else resulting in no real useful result.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited June 2015

jbiloh said: Did you help develop feathur or was it just Justin?

I helped a lot with some of the technical research, but besides the installer scripts, the code is all Justin (and whoever else touched the codebase).

• I think you guys should invent a new language and write using that language. Also invent a total new OS

• sdglhm said: I think you guys should invent a new language and write using that language.

That's just going too far.

sdglhm said: Also invent a total new OS

Go on...

• Rallias said: That's just going too far.

Sarcasm much.

@feathur - You guys are doing a awesome task. Please ignore such kind of requests. Complete re write for a working panel. I must be tripping on LSD to start such a thing if I were you.

I do not use any framework since they limit my creativity to certain extend. But if it was on the clients list of requirement. Poor me.

• ub3rstarub3rstar Member
    edited June 2015

@Bruce said:
    OK, so CVPS migrated customers to SolusVM because Feathur was crap? if so, how crap is Feathur? compared to other panels, which are free/cheap, is it OK ?

In the support ticket I opened with ChicagoVPS, I was told they don't use SolusVM either and couldn't access my VPS through a VNC. Why would they pay for SolusVM and not even let anyone it?