Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please close
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please close

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited August 2012 in General

Hi

I'm thinking of running a deal for KVM/Xen VPS's. The pricing would be as following:
512MB RAM, 20GB Disk, 500GB Bandwidth - $5 per month
1GB RAM, 30GB Disk, 750GB Bandwidth - $7.50 per month

Node Specs would be: Dual L5420 with 16GB RAM

Would you buy, and what virtualization would you pick (KVM or Xen)?

Thanks

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Zen said: Can someone please inform me of the provider this guy does/has run/ran?

I ran Guernsey Hosting ages and ages ago and merged with another company. That is it.

@Zen said: And now?

I don't run any myself now. I help out with tickets for a few but that's it.

• necsnecs Member

What are the node specs, that helps decide what its worth.

• flyfly Member

xen is definitely harder to do, but it can be better than kvm. if you want to get started quickly and are mainly targeted at let users, go kvm.

edited August 2012

@necs said: What are the node specs, that helps decide what its worth.

Sorry, was going to include that, updated OP

@Zen said: So what does this deal pertain to? I'm all /confuseface.

I'm asking if you, as buyers, would purchase that deal if I introduced it and what virtualization you would prefer. I don't run a company at the moment, but am considering starting again, depending on the outcome of this.

@fly said: xen is definitely harder to do, but it can be better than kvm. if you want to get started quickly and are mainly targeted at let users, go kvm.

Thanks for that :)

• necsnecs Member

What about the rest?

Raid level, SW/HW, port speeds, DC etc.

@necs said: Raid level, SW/HW, port speeds, DC etc.

Ah, sorry.
    To start with I'd just have a singular HDD, if demand is high, then I would add a 2nd HDD in with RAID.

Port Speed: 1Gbit

DC: Dacentec, Lenoir

• flyfly Member

single hdd lolololol no.

edited August 2012

@Zen said: Bad idea.

4 x in RAID10 minimum is my personal preference for VPS nodes in production.

Ah okay - I see. I could consider adding that afterwards, but would probably start as I said, with 1. Possibly 2 w/ RAID if I can

@fly said: single hdd lolololol no.

....."Possibly 2 w/ RAID if I can"

• necsnecs Member

Strange mix of hardware but as long as you make people aware they are on a single sata drive from the start then people might buy it... not sure how you would sleep at night but thats a different matter. :)

@necs said: Strange mix of hardware but as long as you make people aware they are on a single sata drive from the start then people might buy it... not sure how you would sleep at night but thats a different matter. :)

If I got 2 HDD's w/RAID would that be more appealing? ;)

edited August 2012

@Zen said: 2 drives w/RAID would be better but I maintain my stance that it is much more worth it to give people great performance with 4 drives in RAID10 than to give them moderate performance in RAID1/2x and upgrade only weeks later.

Understood, thanks. I'll try, but not sure I can find the right deal to allow me to do so

• necsnecs Member

Not really, 2 SATA's in Soft Raid 1 would be slower than 1 SATA.

15GB would give you about 30 VM's the disk speed would be very poor.

@necs said: Not really, 2 SATA's in Soft Raid 1 would be slower than 1 SATA.

15GB would give you about 30 VM's the disk speed would be very poor.

Ah okay - I see.

edited August 2012

Back to the original question. Would you buy, and with KVM or Xen?

Nevermind - please close.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Atleast 2 drives in RAID1. I can guarantee that you will have a failed drive and data loss if you go with a single drive.

Thanked by 2PacketVM Asim
  • RAID10 all the way. Our first VPS server was RAID 5 with 3 drives, and was kinda crappy. After experiencing that, I wouldn't consider single drive or RAID1 for VPS at all.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Use RAID 1, 2 Drives, RHEL 6, ext4, 120MB/s sequential I/O win, win? :-)

Thanked by 1Asim

@Jacob what drives do you use?

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited August 2012

If the 512mb package is kvm and comes with 1TB BW you basically get The "shut up and take my money" from me.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AsimAsim Member

KVM or XEN HVM over anything anyday

Secondly, I prefer hosts that keep their nodes VERY monitored. Even those who claim Raid-10 may not have Raid-10 etc but it all burns down keeping their IO/Network/CPU good. Not that I am going to use 100Mb/sec but having it there gives the clients peace of mind that an abuse by someone else or heavy-usage by neighboring VPS will not effect their VPS in a bad way.

Then there are those that @mitgiB explained in a previous thread that prefer > 200Mb/sec IO and > 10MB/sec network speed to tag the VPS as "stable"

• @Asim said: Then there are those that @mitgiB explained in a previous thread that prefer > 200Mb/sec IO and > 10MB/sec network speed to tag the VPS as "stable"

Not really sure what you mean here, but what I meant was I would prefer to sacrifice performance for stability. Some like to fiddle with their nodes so much the stability is cast aside, and many times the performance as well, while I take a more set it and forget it attitude with my nodes, I have a config that works, and works well, the occasional abuser can be dealt with, but I want the stability to be as rock solid as possible.

Thanked by 1pcan
  • pcanpcan Member

I use single drive servers in production, on exceptional circumstances, but the drive is always SSD. A good SSD drive (Intel, Samsung) has about the same reliability of a RAID card, and the IO speed is enough for a couple of VM's. A single mechanical drive on a VPS server is slow and unreliable.

• @Alex_LiquidHost Mix of 1TB constellation, F3, F3 RAID edition and RE4.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@dominicl said: Dual L5420 with 16GB RAM

Why only 16GB?

• TazTaz Member

You do know that KVM will eat up your servers resource even if vps's are inactive?

• @Nick_A PC2-5300P is pretty expensive for 8GB Sticks if you wanted 32GB 24GB(Depends on dimm slots).

Dual l5420 would work on a nice openvz node, however not sure that it is suitable for KVM. It eats up resources. It is loading the cpu of epmty E3 v2 node, with almost no users on it (on my side).

@Jacob - Most boards that support that CPU have 8 slots, if I am not mistaken. 4GB sticks are affordable.