Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About IP Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About IP Location

xdudexdude Member
edited May 2015 in Help

I bought this windows vps from a provider. First vps has problem in network access so they send me a different ip address. first ip was 104.152.187.xxx They changed it to 104.171.122.xxx IPs look similar and vps was working so I had no problem.

Today I tried to login to mail.com and it was saying I'm trying to login from Romania. I even had a US proxy in Firefox but they had no problem seeing it. Also all geo ip sevices saying same.

I asked about this from support and was told

All of our IPs are US based. The information you have seeing is related to a 3rd party geolocation database, which is something beyond our control. You can contact whichever database is showing the incorrect entry, explain that they are now the party utilizing the IP, and request that their database be updated to reflect the correct country.>

This is the real cause of this problem ? Nothing wrong with vps. I just want to get this fix. :(

Comments

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

@xdude said:
    I bought this windows vps from a provider. First vps has problem in network access so they send me a different ip address. first ip was 104.152.187.xxx They changed it to 104.171.122.xxx IPs look similar and vps was working so I had no problem.

Today I tried to login to mail.com and it was saying I'm trying to login from Romania. I even had a US proxy in Firefox but they had no problem seeing it. Also all geo ip sevices saying same.

I asked about this from support and was told

This is the real cause of this problem ? Nothing wrong with vps. I just want to get this fix. :(

It is in their control, MaxMind comes to mind when they say 3rd party, which is in their control for GeoIPdatabase.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

MSPNick said: It is in their control, MaxMind comes to mind when they say 3rd party, which is in their control for GeoIPdatabase.

Anyone can start their own geolocation database. Expecting providers to try to contact the maintainers of every database out there is completely unreasonable.

When they say VPS is hosted in X location, they mean that is where your server physically resides. Unless they guaranteed you that the IP addresses would also appear to be from that location, you should not expect that.

• shanodeshanode Member
    edited May 2015

Hmm the range is definitely in NY so http://whois.domaintools.com/

Perharps it's that "Firefox Add-on".

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

One of the reasons why I set up my own email server. Hated being locked out and having to verify my phone number just because I logged in from another location.

• Another issue is you have no control over when the website/developer updates their GeoIP database. So in your case, 'mail.com' could take months before they push an updated GeoIP database to their production environment.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

telephone said: Another issue is you have no control over when the website/developer updates their GeoIP database. So in your case, 'mail.com' could take months before they push an updated GeoIP database to their production environment.

Yup.. Netflix took 6 months to update my OVH IP geolocation..

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

What seems a problem, they lock logins from Romanian IP addresses?

• xdudexdude Member

@fitvpn said:
    What seems a problem, they lock logins from Romanian IP addresses?

Yes. They locked it before different locations. Had to use optional contact email to get it unlocked.

@4n0nx : I didn't use an addon. Added the proxy in Firefox settings.

As domaintools.com whole ip rage is in NY which must be correct.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

xdude said: Yes. They locked it before different locations. Had to use optional contact email to get it unlocked.

I use Romanian IP with them, no problem. They only block Finnish and Russian IP as well I learn. Cannot register with Russian IP, empty page.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited May 2015

There are several geolocation databases. All of them have inaccuracies. My home IP address shows up as several different cities, none of them correct. When I visit a website that displays my "location", I can tell which geolocation database they are using. The most commonly displayed location is 20 miles away from my true location.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

what geolocation database are you using ?

• WilliamWilliam Member

Most popular is Maxmind.

• ricardoricardo Member

It's true. You may want to email mail.com (no irony intended) to confirm, I suspect they'll use their own. There's going to be hundreds of IP databases used, all with different snapshots of the IP space.

Facebook's is different to Google's which is different to Maxmind's. From your perspective, it's maybe easier to pick a provider that has owned their IPs for a longer time as it's more likely the location databases will say the same thing.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

William said: Maxmind

Need to be renamed to Madmind