Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone ever used ZPanel ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone ever used ZPanel ?

earlearl Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hey,

Just found this control panel called ZPanel, seems to work on Windows and linux and is open source so it's free.. The basic install gives you Web server, mail, FTP and mysql.. then you can add other functionalities like DNS through modules. Funny thing is, it also has a script installer called Zantastico!!

Their website is zpanelcp.com, their forums seems to be reasonably active, it does not seem like an abandoned project!! If anyone ever used this panel could you share your experience.. Thanks

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2011

Here is a link to their forum http://forums.zpanelcp.com/

• fanfan Veteran

Pretty nice free cp, I've saw one EIG brand using it - ipage.

Thanked by 1earl
  • Hey Fan, it says ipage uses vdeck.. not sure is that the same? it does look quite similar thought

• Never seen it before. I can't even get their website to load. :(

I'm iffy on installer scripts. They're usually behind and/or out of date and I would consider to be a security risk if you're not keeping them up to date. Also after our experiences with phpNuke, some of them are installing software with major known security holes that fixes are freely available elsewhere online in the name of "only installing the core program" mantra.

Thanked by 1earl
  • I have never seen this either but would not mind looking at a demo. If they had a demo of it that is. I can not seem to find one. If someone finds one let me know.

Thanked by 1earl
  • I couldn't even find screencaps once the site loaded.

• @drmike said: I couldn't even find screencaps once the site loaded.

I had that problem also. It is a good idea but may need some more development. Or least more developers so they can make a product that can be taken seriously. Suppose I could load it on my Chicago 2 gig machine and give a whirl. Maybe do a write up on it or something.

• It is a good idea

What makes it different from the other billion control panels already out there?

• earlearl Member
    edited November 2011

Hey drmike,

Yeah the page can be a bit slow to load at times..here is a screen shot of the panel..

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9049/zpanelscreen.jpg

Here is a list of packages, not sure if they are all current?

phpBB (3.0.9)
    SMF (2.0.0)
    Wordpress (3.2.1)
    b2evolution (4.0.5)
    Drupal (7.4)
    Joomla (1.7.0)
    PHP-Nuke (8.2)
    Typo3 (4.5.3)
    Hesk (2.2)
    osTicket (1.6.0)
    osCommerce (3.0.1)
    Zen-cart (1.3.9h)
    Gallery (3.0.2)
    Coppermine (1.5.12)

Hi AuroraZ,

I could not find a live demo either.. I did install it on a home machine and the install seems to go pretty smooth.. memory wise it seems to hover around 150mb so a 256mb VPS should be ok..

• @earl said: Hi AuroraZ,

I could not find a live demo either.. I did install it on a home machine and the install seems to go pretty smooth.. memory wise it seems to hover around 150mb so a 256mb VPS should be ok..

Yeah I uploaded and it is running okay. Has some interesting possibilities. I added a few mods and some templates looks like DirectAdmin now lol.

• @AuroraZ

I guess you installed on Ubuntu? Took me a while to get it installed on centos 5, finally realized I had to install make, sudo, cron etc.. without those packages the installer did not install correctly

• Centos 5.6 installed no problems. Wiped the server installed centos and updated it. Then ran their installer that was about it. I can't stand Ubuntu even if it is free lol.

• @earl said: Here is a list of packages, not sure if they are all current?

phpBB (3.0.9)
    SMF (2.0.0)
    Wordpress (3.2.1)
    b2evolution (4.0.5)
    Drupal (7.4)
    Joomla (1.7.0)
    PHP-Nuke (8.2)
    Typo3 (4.5.3)
    Hesk (2.2)
    osTicket (1.6.0) osCommerce (3.0.1)
    Zen-cart (1.3.9h)
    Gallery (3.0.2)
    Coppermine (1.5.12)

SMF latest is 2.0.1, released a month ago, for a MAJOR SECURITY FIX RELEASE.

Very bad.

Joomla latest is 2 versions ahead.
    Typo3 is a 4.6+ not 4.5.

half of them are outdated, many with major things (like joomla is hilariously full of holes)

Thanked by 1earl
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Looks nice, But as said above ^^ by @justinb, many of the scripts are outdated and well it's a security risk..

Thanked by 1earl
  • When I saw Zpanel, I though it was from Trilex Lab. They created Zpanel for window plateform and later rebrand to RapidCp or Vcore.

Thanked by 1earl
  • drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

phpnuke is just a security problem. Other sites patch the latest version and those patches get folded in a few versions later. Core is always behind. (I think I already mentioned that.)

wordpress and phpbb are both frequent targets for hackers. While wp is not on our servers, a heavily patched version of phpbb is.

• @justinb said: phpBB (3.0.9) SMF (2.0.0) Wordpress (3.2.1) b2evolution (4.0.5) Drupal (7.4) Joomla (1.7.0) PHP-Nuke (8.2) Typo3 (4.5.3) Hesk (2.2) osTicket (1.6.0) osCommerce (3.0.1) Zen-cart (1.3.9h) Gallery (3.0.2) Coppermine (1.5.12)

SMF latest is 2.0.1, released a month ago, for a MAJOR SECURITY FIX RELEASE.

Very bad.

Joomla latest is 2 versions ahead. Typo3 is a 4.6+ not 4.5.

half of them are outdated, many with major things (like joomla is hilariously full of holes)

But the thing is you are not required to use them. That is just one module and does not have to be installed. To zero in on this as a problem is not the right thing to do either. When it comes down to it YOU are always responsible for the security of YOUR site and its software.

If you rely on someone else for this then maybe you are the bigger idiot. Any software and I do mean ANY SOFTWARE is only as effective and as security conscious as the person who coded it made it. In the end you need to take responsibility for your own sites and servers and stop blaming someone else for the problems you have. You make the choice on the software you use they do not force you to use it.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

sigh

My name is Karen. I'm 11. I need a website. Here's a link. I click on the link and I have a website. Neato and Super Kool! Huggies.

24 hours later....

Why does my website have a girl with three guys surrounding her? And why are they all naked? And why do they have that rope?....

That's what you get for using an autoinstaller and you get to deal with the mother who thinks you're on the same level as Flint and Guccione.

• Number one Mike no offense but what is an 11 year old doing with hosting? I understand what you are saying and I am saying almost the same thing. You don't have to use the auto installer but don't run someone down for offering it. Not their fault if people do not know better and are lazy.

On a side note the parents need to take some responsibility as well in the 11 year old story. I have a 13 year old and she is NOT left to her own devices on the net EVER.

• @AuroraZ said: On a side note the parents need to take some responsibility as well in the 11 year old story. I have a 13 year old and she is NOT left to her own devices on the net EVER.

That's going overboard a bit, I remember my first time on the internet using ancient 1.5mbps adsl as a kid...

• @justinb said: That's going overboard a bit, I remember my first time on the internet using ancient 1.5mbps adsl as a kid...

Tell that to the parents of the kids that go missing every year or are killed because of stupid things. I am sorry man if you feel that way she understands that I am looking out for her. I do not stand over her shoulder or anything but I do check on her. There is some scary shit out in the world today and I do what I can to keep my family safe.

• @justinb said: That's going overboard a bit, I remember my first time on the internet using ancient 1.5mbps adsl as a kid...

You must be young then.

• Yes, I'm using ZpanelCP :)

• What are the requirements to run zPanel? Not seeing it on their site.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I'm sure it would work fine on 128MB, however I noticed if I install it on a 256MB VPS it's sort of slow but if I upgrade that to 512MB it is MUCH faster...

• Actually you guys should be careful when using zpanel one of their addon had a zeus virus which is like a keylogger.. they hacked my cPanel account put malicious redirects in my htacess.. pretty frustrating so I never use it again ever since.
    I normally scan all files before executing but apparently avast did not find this virus but I knew they did not gain entry from brute forcing the password and luckily scanning with malwarebytes found the virus which came from an addon, but cant recall which one..

Thought I should let you guys know!! just use with caution