Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Softether VPN speed capped at 10 Mbps, please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Softether VPN speed capped at 10 Mbps, please help

I am not sure where the problem is. I have tried to ticked off the encryption but the speed is always capped at 10 Mbps. I tried installing proxy and use the VPS as proxy and the speed can reach the maximum speed of 50 Mbps for downloading. Suggestion is appreciated.

Comments

• What are you trying to do with the vpn?

• @cheapwebdev said:
    What are you trying to do with the vpn?

just regular personal use

• It's difficult for me to understand OpenVPN

• Have you checked the settings:

max_bitrates_download and max_bitrates_upload

• @alaningus said:
    Have you checked the settings:

max_bitrates_download and max_bitrates_upload

I just changed from 0 (nil) to the highest possible integer in the virtualhub option and still no luck

• alaningusalaningus Member
    edited December 2016

@drakula said:
    I just changed from 0 (nil) to the highest possible integer in the virtualhub option and still no luck

Not that then. Best put it back to 0 as that is unrestricted.

EDIT Is it being 'capped' on all protocols?

• @alaningus said:

@drakula said:

Not that then. Best put it back to 0 as that is unrestricted.

EDIT Is it being 'capped' on all protocols?

not sure, if i use download manager application with several concurrent connection, the speed can increase up to 20 mbps so may be each tcp connection speed is somehow capped. i only test it in tcp connection

• Thanks, Do not mean to offend but what if this script can create security hole for a server?
    Just curious ! I am not very technical .

@drakula said:

It's difficult for me to understand OpenVPN

• CUTACUTA Member
    edited December 2016

@wwwho said:
    Thanks, Do not mean to offend but what if this script can create security hole for a server?

@drakula said:

security hole? it doesn't seem making your server vulnerable, but I wouldn't use it on a server where a public website is hosted for safety reasons.

• Then why not use it on a server where other website is hosted? :)

@CUTA said:

@wwwho said:
    Thanks, Do not mean to offend but what if this script can create security hole for a server?

@drakula said:

security hole? it doesn't seem making your server vulnerable, but I wouldn't use it on a server where a public website is hosted for safety reasons.

• Softether is nice in theory but I've had performance problems with it before and never managed to get to the bottom of it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Dont use securenat

• @wwwho said:
    Then why not use it on a server where other website is hosted? :)

@CUTA said:

@wwwho said:

@drakula said:

then you will easily be identified. people use VPN to cover their traces, and be anonymous. when you are doing a website on the same server ( usually you have the same IP unless you spent for a separate IP) along with the VPN, you can be tracked down to your website through the ip, and thus to your identity. you can go a bit ahead and spend for a WHOISguard and try so hard to cover as much as about yourself in your website, but is it worth when you are doing a legitimate business? you can not be completely anonymous if you want people to trust you. people trust your website more when they know who they are dealing with.

• Depends on the use for the VPN though, mine is explicitly to give me an encrypted connection on an otherwise open WI-FI network and to allow remote access to some internal subnets.

If I wanted to hide the origin then I'd just use a commercial provider

• Is it possible due to network bridge setup in windows that I created to bridge the softether adapter with LAN 2? I tried not to use secure NAT but the result is still the same

• I have had no issues with softether personally, much better than openvpn as I got all 22 of my devices (along with family's) connected at one time. Did not face 10mbps issue, maybe that is the connection restriction from your provider? If its a shared connection, could be limited or throttled by others you are splitting it with.

• I think it depends on the environment it's being used in, certainly in a proxmox KVM VM it didn't seem to play nice either bridged/secure nat.

the SE-VPN client is supposed to do some funky stuff to get around MTU issues but I'm not convinced that part works properly.