Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help With WordPress Comments
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help With WordPress Comments

TimTim Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Hi LET, I am having an issue with my WordPress blog and comment spam. I've installed and am using Disqus for comments, and have checked the box in WordPress Dashboard>Settings>Discussion to only allow comments from registered users (and stopped registrations), but somehow I still get a ton of spam comments in the default WordPress comments moderation queue (the Disqus comments are clean). What the heck is going on--the spammers should not even be able to submit comments to the standard WordPress comment form much less bombard me with spam to moderate as they can't register and only registered users should be allowed to post.

Is there a way, or something I'm missing, to completely lock out the standard WordPress commenting and only allow Disqus comments?

EDIT Damn, clicking the checkboxes in Settings>Discussion to close old posts after 14 days and not allow comments on new articles closed the default WP comments but now the Disqus comments aren't showing up at all. After changing the Settings>Discussions checkboxes back to normal, WP comments are still closed on all posts and Disqus is also still missing. WTF is happening here? :( /Edit

EDIT 2: Okay, so I am able to go into edit a post/article and the allow comments check box is still cleared. Clicking it re-allows comments on that one post and Disqus comes back. That's good... but it seems WordPress was able to close all comments on all posts but is now stuck and even though the checkboxes in the settings are unchecked and comments should be open, on the individual posts the allow comments checkboxes are still cleared. I'm guessing that's a WP bug as I really should not have to go into hundreds of individual posts to click the allow comments box :(. Sigh. I guess that'll teach me for trying to get rid of all the comment spam that I shouldn't be getting in the first place!

http://verrytechnical.com is the site. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Insall akismet, solves many spam comments.

• here comes some help on googling! ( Never tried myself)
    http://beta.beantin.se/wordpress-comment-spam-disqus/

• TimTim Member
    edited April 2013

@MikHo said: Insall akismet, solves many spam comments.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll grab that plugin and activate it once I figure out the closed comments/no Disqus form issue and things are back to normal :).

Somehow spammers are submitting a ton of spam in the default WordPress moderation queue (The Disqus moderation/settings stuff is a all separate from WordPress' own menu items in the Dashboard) though--and I've no idea how they are doing this as no one should be able to comment at all using the standard WP comment form as it's been replaced by Disqus and locked down in settings to only logged in users. heh :confused.

@peppr said: here comes some help on googling! ( Never tried myself)

http://beta.beantin.se/wordpress-comment-spam-disqus/

Thanks, I've been googling around but wasn't getting the results I needed. I'll give that a read!

EDIT: Heh, I like the nuking-it-from orbit option of deleting the comments php file ;). I'll give his solution a shot.

• rrrrrr Member

Can you provide admin login? I can try to look.

WordPress that what I do all the time.

• prae5prae5 Member

@MikHo said: nsall akismet, solves many spam comments.

+1

• TimTim Member

Whew, okay I can stop panicking. I figured out that you can edit multiple posts in the post list, and one of the options it to change the allow/disable comments checkbox. Using the multi-edit I only had to go through the process two times (it seems the comments were only "stuck" as closed in some posts--much older ones did get re-enabled. Much easier than going through each individual post!

Here's a screenshot of where the setting is if anyone else ever runs into this weird issue with the setting sticking when it's not supposed to.

!(http://imgur.com/5zXKgys)

I'll go enable Akismet now, just in case that solution peppr found doesn't stop those sneaky spammers :).

Thanks for all the help, LET is awesome :)

• AndriAndri Member

Akismet, paid Akismet even better. :)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Using Cloudflare will help fix this as well.

• Free Akismet

• @Fliphost said: Using Cloudflare will help fix this as well.

Crap-flare occasionally going slow wouldn't be worth it versus Akismet.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes

Cloudflare works perfectly fine. It will solve his problem quite well.

• @MikHo said: Insall akismet, solves many spam comments.

+1

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Akismet + Simple Word Verification(1+1-1-1+1-1=?????)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Akismet isn't free for non-personal blogs...though it would be interesting to setup a free LEB/semi-LEB-based service.