Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to OVH SSD VPS - Unmetered
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to OVH SSD VPS - Unmetered

GZSGZS Member
edited December 2016 in Requests

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for a fairly low end machine with an unmetered connection to store data from my client application. I am looking for something running either KVM or XEN as I will need to run a custom kernel based on ubuntu. I would perfer ubuntu to come preinstalled so that I can easily install my own kernel. My current implementation uses around 300MB/user/month and I am hoping to expand in the very near future. The inbound data stored takes up around 30% of the total bandwidth with 70% being status information sent back to the client.

I have taken a short look around and something like OVH's "VPS SSD 1" would seem appropriate however it would be nice to have a few extra cores available to deal with peak load times. I was hoping to see what LET could offer? :)

VZ Type: KVM/Xen

Number of Cores: 2+

RAM: 512MB+

Disk Space: 10GB+

Disk Type: SSD

Bandwidth: Unlimited

Port Speed: 50Mb/s+

DDoS Protection: Optional

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: TBD

Billing period: Monthly/Quarterly

Comments

• Ah sorry, I was unclear, in terms of specs anything in the same ballpark as the OVH offering would be fine. It is mostly API calls which are run on a MySQL DB. Bandwidth/Ram/etc similar to the OVH "VPS SSD 1" but with additional CPU.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Do you know how much bandwidth you will actually use? Don't know many providers (none lowend) that give actual unmetered on any big port. OVH VPS have 100Mbps yes? If so, do you need 30TB?

There's plenty here with KVM that can give a similar price to OVH VPS, but probably none with unmetered.

• I only expect it to use 4TB/month however once I open it to the public that is subject to change. OVH seem to have 100Mb/s unlimited which is probably a lot more than I need.

• You might look at the scaleway.com cloud: you can get an 8 core (Atom) dedicated server for a few cents an hour and only activate it when you need the extra cpu power, and use their 3 euro/month vps at other times. Atom cores are slow so 8 of them will have maybe 3x the total compute power of the OVH vps when the OVH host node is unloaded. But you'll have them all to yourself, and you can spin up additional units when you need them, depending on what you're doing.

Their lower cost vps are also based on this hardware. I used one for a while and it was nice. The storage is a good deal too, 1 euro/month per 50GB SSD volume and you can add as many as you want. It's non-raid though.

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@GZS you might want to have a look pour our Public Cloud.

• @willie said:
    You might look at the scaleway.com cloud: you can get an 8 core (Atom) dedicated server for a few cents an hour and only activate it when you need the extra cpu power, and use their 3 euro/month vps at other times. Atom cores are slow so 8 of them will have maybe 3x the total compute power of the OVH vps when the OVH host node is unloaded. But you'll have them all to yourself, and you can spin up additional units when you need them, depending on what you're doing.

Their lower cost vps are also based on this hardware. I used one for a while and it was nice. The storage is a good deal too, 1 euro/month per 50GB SSD volume and you can add as many as you want. It's non-raid though.

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Cant install custom kernels on scaleway

• @Ikoula said:
    @GZS you might want to have a look pour our Public Cloud.

Do you have any high storage HDD VPSs that are more oriented to data storage and backups?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2016

we can do the following plan:

1GB Memory

15GB Pure SSD

4 vCPU Fair Use

2.66 GHz* CPU Speed

Unmetered Bandwidth

1 IPv4 Address

Anti-DDoS Protection

Xen HVM Virtualization

Full Root Access

SSH Access only

from £4.25 p/m

more details at URL: https://www.web-project.co.uk/pure-ssd-vps-hosting

• Wishosting

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Bobby_T said: Do you have any high storage HDD VPSs that are more oriented to data storage and backups?

@Bobby_T Nope, but you can add any amount of GB in our Cloud (charged 0.11$/GB/Month).

If you're interested in storing data think about our Synology offers.

• Trabia is unmetered and comes with Voxility/custom protection...plans start at 4 euro/month and their VPSes are pretty damn fast.