Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GUI on Centos 7.3 on Dedicated Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GUI on Centos 7.3 on Dedicated Server?

Has anyone been able to setup a GUI (light weight like Xfce) on a remote dedicated Kimsufi server? I currently have the Kimsufi i3 machines with centos 7.3 installed.. So far, I have been unsuccessful..

After installing xfce/ tigervnc-server, I end up getting a "gray" screen in VNC but no desktop. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I used http://www.tuxfixer.com/install-xfce-4-desktop-environment-on-centos-7/ as a reference.

Any steps/ tutorial to get it working?

Comments

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited December 2016

I'm not an expert on this, but try this and see if it works, reboot afterward just to be sure.

EDIT: CloudFlare hates code, so let's use pastebin

http://pastebin.com/cXq1yiju

• First, try to find out if your installation was successful. (KVM-over-IP or htop and search for the desktop-enviroment process).
    If its running, i would recommend you to install x2go instead of tiger-vnc. X2go is available for MAC/Windows/Linux and uses some kind of compression to enhance the rDesktop feeling.

• @iffi said:
    First, try to find out if your installation was successful. (KVM-over-IP or htop and search for the desktop-enviroment process).
    If its running, i would recommend you to install x2go instead of tiger-vnc. X2go is available for MAC/Windows/Linux and uses some kind of compression to enhance the rDesktop feeling.

This does not have KVM... Simple ssh only

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    I'm not an expert on this, but try this and see if it works, reboot afterward just to be sure.

EDIT: CloudFlare hates code, so let's use pastebin

http://pastebin.com/cXq1yiju

Will check. Thanks

• Check your logs...

It should be the fonts...

And also post your xstartup file

And permissions of the xstartup file..

Also try right clicking ....

Some times itd Just the screen saver :-p

And you could also use x2go

• Hi there,

You can use gnome or kde and use

yum -y install kde*
    yum -y groupinstall "X Window System"
    yum -y groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
    yum -y install vnc-server vnc nano
    yum -y install firefox
    yum -y install vnc.i386 vnc-libs.i386 vnc-ltsp-config.noarchvnc-reflector.i386 vnc-server.i386
    yum -y install nano

then you will have to edit the vnc config and replace the startx with startkde, and the vnc should work just fine.

• @racksx said:
    Hi there,

yum -y install kde*
    yum -y install firefox
    yum -y install vnc.i386 vnc-libs.i386 vnc-ltsp-config.noarchvnc-reflector.i386 vnc-server.i386
    yum -y install nano

then you will have to edit the vnc config and replace the startx with startkde, and the vnc should work just fine.

If you read CentOS 7.3 release note's known issues section for that you need minimum 1344MB of memory IIRC

• @eva2000 said:

@racksx said:
    Hi there,

yum -y install kde*
    yum -y install firefox
    yum -y install nano

If you read CentOS 7.3 release note's known issues section for that you need minimum 1344MB of memory IIRC

My server has 8g ram

• emreemre Member, LIR

x2go!
    vnc sucks hard.
    use x2go

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I could not get xfce working, but a full gnome worked... Not sure what is wrong with the basic xfce installation

• you might not installed the full package of xfce, this is why i told you to do gnome or kde.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2016

@emre said:
    x2go!
    vnc sucks hard.
    use x2go

+1. xfce + x2go works perfectly fine on CentOS 7.

• @racksx said:
    you might not installed the full package of xfce, this is why i told you to do gnome or kde.

I did yum groupinstall "Xfce"...

Is there anyother command needed?