Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4gb xen vps. should I install centos 32 bit or 64 bit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4gb xen vps. should I install centos 32 bit or 64 bit?

redjerseyredjersey Member
edited April 2013 in General

I have a 4gb xen vps. I need to reload the os in order to install directadmin. Which OS should I choose for best performance? Centos 6 32 bit or 64 bit?

Please advise.

Comments

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited April 2013

I would go for 64, personally, but that's just me. Leaves more options for down the road.

• Uhh... obviously 4gb, otherwise you lose half a gig of memory. Or is that different on VPSes?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2013

on 32 bit you can use pae.

• Personally, I draw the line at 1GB. Less than 1GB I use 32-bit. More than 1GB I use 64-bit. Use your own judgement honestly.

• MunMun Member

• yeah just use 64, you have so much ram anyways

• okay, will do.
    thanks all

• how much 4gb xen if you dont mind?

• $7/mo, from databasebydesign. long long time ago they had a price match promotion.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

And was matched with what :o

• wow thats cheap for xen. congrats

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@redjersey said: $7/mo, from databasebydesign. long long time ago they had a price match promotion.

Woah thats insane

• how much disk space?

• 100gb

• lucky you, me envy

• the only catch is there is no vps cp, in order to reboot the server (w/o using the terminal) I'll have to contact their support (no ticket system, email only) same for os reload

• SunshineSunshine Member
    edited April 2013

From 2010 but still relevant
    (lowendbox.com) 32bit or 64bit for My Low End VPS, Take #2

You should also read the comments about Xen compatibility, but I dont know if that stuff still applies, because I stopped using Xen years ago.

Anyhow. Long story short:

32bit might make better use of your memory.
    64bit might perform better.

I assume you'll just be using the vps for webhosting. Here's an interesting (but not particularly thorough) benchmark:

(webhostingtalk.com) CentOS 32bit VS 64bit benchmark

In some cases I'd go with 32bit though (yes, even with 4GB). Depends how exactly the vps is going to be used. Some applications dont perform better on 64bit and efficient memory usage could be more important in some cases.

But 64bit is probably what you want.

• I say test with 64 then 32, I believe there are not much to compare. So the end is what you are going to do with the vps and how the softwares you use support mostly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Personally, I draw the line at 1GB. Less than 1GB I use 32-bit. More than 1GB I use 64-bit. Use your own judgement honestly.

I don't get that logic. If you said 3GB or (obviously) 4GB, that would make sense, but why 1GB? All other things being equal, 32 vs 64 makes no difference at 1GB or 2GB.

• @raindog308 said: I don't get that logic. If you said 3GB or (obviously) 4GB, that would make sense, but why 1GB? All other things being equal, 32 vs 64 makes no difference at 1GB or 2GB.

I assume what he meant is 32bit consumes less memory while 64 bit is safer choice (e.g. faster, or better behavior like in MongoDB). So he drew a line where he doesnt care about not having enough RAM, and chose 1GB?

• my personal idea to use 64 bit one ... :D