Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly becomes 12.10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 12.04 suddenly becomes 12.10

dnwkdnwk Member
edited April 2013 in Help

After I run apt-get dist-upgrade, my 12.04 suddenly becomes 12.10.
I think it doesn't suppose to happen. But now, it says Ubuntu 12.10
Why that happens?

Comments

• MunMun Member

because you upgraded the distro with apt-get dist-upgrade. dist-upgrade upgrades to the newest revision.

I think you wanted to update the packages with apt-get upgrade.

• dnwkdnwk Member

However, according to Ubuntu's website, only do-release-upgrade will change your Ubuntu version

• MunMun Member

apt-get dist-upgrade
    The same as the above, except add the "smart upgrade" checkbox. It tells APT to use "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary.

Meaning it is attempting to get the newest of the new "important" packages, as such probably one or more is in the 12.10 realm.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited April 2013

@Mun said: Meaning it is attempting to get the newest of the new "important" packages, as such probably one or more is in the 12.10 realm.

Ridiculous. Each version of Ubuntu has its own repositories. You can't just pull in a 12.10 package to Ubuntu 12.04 unless your repositories are misconfigured. Check your repos, @dnwk. /etc/apt/sources.list.

Edit: Also, where exactly do you see the machine "saying" it is Ubuntu 12.10?

• MunMun Member

Then why do many guides suggest that as an upgrade process? It may claim not to do it, but it is trying to upgrade all important packages to the newest revision it can find. This can mean 12.10 revisions.

My guess is it didn't do a full upgrade, but found said newest of the new.

Could also be a simple typo.

• It doesn't suddenly change your apt repositories. It should just stick with the current release. Are you sure you didn't do anything else other than a dist-upgrade?

• dnwkdnwk Member

@mpkossen said: you didn't do anything else other than a dist-upgrade?

I did a reboot after dist-upgrade

• @Mun said: because you upgraded the distro with apt-get dist-upgrade. dist-upgrade upgrades to the newest revision.

No, dist-upgrade upgrades packages to the latest packages available, DOING IT'S BEST TO IGNORE INCOMPATIBILITIES.

It's often used to update kernels.

• Guys, just use debian.

• @rds100 said: Guys, just use debian.

I do, but I love Ubuntu's repos

• @rds100 said: Guys, just use debian.

• Lol so many incorrect answers just Google to find the right answer.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@ZinnVPS said: Lol so many incorrect answers just Google to find the right answer.

I googled. None applied

• the answer is dist-upgrade upgrades to newest version of ubuntu as apt-get upgrade just upgrades the packages that need to be updated.