Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's ServerHub? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How's ServerHub?

13»

Comments

• JohnSHJohnSH Member, Patron Provider

@PepeSilvia said:
    The idea of the host just deleting user data weeks after signing up is very scary when the host claims to be production ready.

Plus none of the techs seem to be aware of IPV6 issues that's been going on for months is not confidence boosting either.

I'm glad I didn't switch to Serverhub, the deals were very tempting though.

PepeSilvia

I wanted to chime in on a couple of these points, I can sssure you we certainly do not delete customer data after a sign up.

In regards to the IPv6 issues in Frankfurt, we pride oursleves in being a pioneer in the IPv6 transition.

I have personally taken part in many discussions and forums specifically in the ARIN community and taking part in many panels at HostingCon.

IPv6 adoption is something we have always taken pride in.

I do know one thing we have been seeing often is carrier peers having issues, and the carriers do not take priority like they do IPv4, so when issues across the internet arise, it does impact hosting providers and this is likely the case of the intermittent issue in Frankfurt. If you would like to PM me I would be more then happy to assist you in anyway I can with any of your additional concerns.

We are here to help!

• williewillie Member
    edited January 2017

jiggawattz said: Ordering through a VPN is usually against the host's Terms of Service. Suspension and a fraud check seems very reasonable.

I don't ever remember seeing a "don't order through a VPN" clause in any TOS. I do it all the time. There's usually no problem. I don't think I've ever hit a problem if I already had an active account with the host. When there's been a problem, it's been having an order being flagged by Maxmind before payment takes place. Sometimes a ticket to the host straightens this out, sometimes they ask me to turn off the VPN and I do, sometimes they ask me to send ID (I usually refuse and buy from someone else if they do that). I've also heard of people having their payment accepted by an ordering system, only to have the host refuse the order after manual review and refund the person's money instead of activating the service. All of the above seems reasonably ok to me.

Once the payment has been accepted and the service turned on though, it seems to me that the purchase transaction is completed and it can't be reversed unilaterally by either party unless there's a real breach, and certainly not without reasonable notice. So suspending an active, paid-for service just because it was a VPN order is a not-good in my book, though it's nowhere near as bad as deleting the person's data.

@imchandave has said he did have his data deleted, which I see as egregious, though per his post there's been a policy change since then to prevent that offense from being repeated. That's a significant, reassuring step. I still think there's some unclarity here, but SH is observably going to some effort to get things fixed, so hopefully things will work out ok.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

JohnSH said: and the carriers do not take priority like they do IPv4, so when issues across the internet arise, it does impact hosting providers and this is likely the case of the intermittent issue in Frankfurt.

I noticed this issue on Dec 1st, it's probably going on much longer. Even if an IPv6 issue is no high prioritiy issue to your upstreams, they had more than plenty of time to fix this. As you state, IPv6 is an important matter for you. And it's an important matter for at least some of your customers. You should make this clear to your transit providers.

According to your "network promise", you provide "100% guaranteed uninterrupted transit to the Internet".

I'm glad that you have finally sorted out the issues in Seattle. Hope Frankfurt will follow soon.