Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nyr's or Angristan OpenVPN script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nyr's or Angristan OpenVPN script?

SpinNakerSpinNaker Member
edited December 2016 in General

Hi all,

I am about to recommend a VPN script for a friend who will be over the road for months at a time and I am looking for a simple OpenVPN script that he can easily install on a VPS and I came across two scripts, one is by Nyr (https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install) and the other one is by Angristan (https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install) which is a fork or Nyr's script with "improved" options.

What do you think would be the best one for him as he will be connecting up to 3 devices (Laptop, Smartphone and a Tablet) over truck stops, shipper/consignee locations and pretty much any free public WiFi.

He will be using the connection both for personal and work related stuffs (communications, online banking, etc...) so security and reliability is a must.

Any suggestions? Thanks all!

Comments

• lionlion Member
    edited December 2016

I think the additions angristan added really make sense and improve security so i would recommend this one.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited December 2016

I don't know if the Angristan one supports NAT box installation(didn't check)

But otherwise it has very modern sane defaults for data cipher and HMAC. (lets you go upto AES256 if you WANT for data-cipher)

On modern Snapdragon mobile chipsets (tested SD650) AES has virtually no impact on cpu utilization because of bundled Hardware acceleration for AES. (tested upto 1500KB/s 3G; or 1.4MB/sec streaming video with aes256)

Edit: There is definitely an opening for someone to create a secured web-ui to interact with nyr/angristan scripts for less tech-savvy operators of a personal vpn server.

• vimalware said: Edit: There is definitely an opening for someone to create a secured web-ui to interact with nyr/angristan scripts for less tech-savvy operators of a personal vpn server.

OpenVPN Access Server

Free for two clients

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jiggawattz said:
    OpenVPN Access Server

Free for two clients

openvpn-AS annoyed me even with 2 clients and a lossy 3g connection on mobile.
    Hours would go by without connectivity(+email notifications) because the server rejected consecutive login attempts from same IP.

No such issue with cert-based authentication. So happy.

On the plus side, with opvn-AS, it's easy to import the .ovpn profile onto android with their app and entering your hostname+user+password.

Thanked by 1Layer
  • How many people can connect to each .ovpn file created in the OpenVPN server autoloaders? :)

• Only one. You'll have to create new client configuration files for each client you want to add.

• @Tsuyo said:
    Only one. You'll have to create new client configuration files for each client you want to add.

I think you answered my responsibility. :) Thank you.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Pritunl

• ZealZeal Member

How to handle multiple IP(s)?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just decided to refresh my vpns and gave each script a whirl. Both are dead simple, really. There are a few more questions with angristan but even if you didn't know the crypto lingo, sensible defaults are presented.

Run the command, answer a few questions, and out pops a .ovpn. Let's encrypt! Oh wait, that's something else...

Thanked by 1PandaRain