Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net wondersharper?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net wondersharper?

xrzxrz Member

I contact you to alert you of the way that you are using your network bandwidth. If you look at your Graph, you will see that your network bandwidth is always reaching the maximum allowed. Your guaranteed bandwidth is 260 mbps and you have exceed it * times for server SD-*.

Internet bandwidth guaranteed Premium 500 Mbit/s
Traffic Unmetered

So i own this dedi - https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-st8

So now they want me to limit it wondershaper, i did this:

wondershaper eno1 500000 500000

but it seems it does not works, any other way to not go above 500 Mbit/s ?

thx

Comments

• Hello,

I used wondershaper before, and i can tell you, it does do the job proper.

Why does says guaranteed bandwidth is 260 mbps ?

do you have 500 or 260?

• xrzxrz Member
    edited December 2016

Online.net bad practices? xD i have 500

• Store everything you want with 2×4TB
    • 32 GB ECC RAM
    • 500 Mbit/s guaranteed bandwidth

I see just this but dunno if it works:

root@root:~# wondershaper eno1
    RESULT -> http://pastebin.com/raw/4nZw7vc4

• Do you reach 500Mbit/s ?

• I am confused - shouldn't it be their job to limit the port to the advertised bandwidth?

• they said its me who need to limit it lol xD why i need to limit it? isnt easy for them to auto limit it to 500Mbit??

• it should. but they are too dumb.
    got the same shit from oneprovider's online.net servers.

got the cheap one with unlimited traffic @ 1gpbs, which in reality is:

Transfer: 50466 GB/month
    Average: 161.29 Mbps
    Maximum: 216.13 Mbps
    Minimum: 101.61 Mbps

took me several tickets to get that information (fair usage blabla - how much is fair - yeah fair blabla you use too much - where is the limit on your unlimited server? ...), it's not said once in the order process (a * somewhere - shared - fair usage, but no numbers)

i'm way bellow it, capped the server myself to 200mbps after the first warning (was like 10% over the average) and got another message yesterday ... stay away from online.net, they are going bogus

Thanked by 1boernd
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited December 2016

i am going probably move out of those sh*ts and paypal dispute come tho too :D any idea who can offer similar but real 1Gbit or 500Mbit? not OVH!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2016

xrz said: they said its me who need to limit it lol xD why i need to limit it? isnt easy for them to auto limit it to 500Mbit??

No it is very possible that it's not as easy for them. If your server had only 100 Mbit guaranteed, I guess they'd give you the option of flipping your port to 100 Mbit, but with 500, not all switches have arbitrary rate limiting features, and doing that on the router level would consume resources and bring performance down for everyone.

Thanked by 2vimalware telephone
  • we just give people the ability to use more than their guaranteed speed if needed, but if you exceed too much then you will receive this warning.
    Honestly, do you want us to QoS the whole network and everyone day and night or give you the ability to control it yourself ? (think twice about it ...)

Mik

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @rm_ said:

xrz said: they said its me who need to limit it lol xD why i need to limit it? isnt easy for them to auto limit it to 500Mbit??

No it is very possible that it's not as easy for them. If your server had only 100 Mbit guaranteed, I guess they'd give you the option of flipping your port to 100 Mbit, but with 500, not all switches have arbitrary rate limiting features, and doing that on the router level would consume resources and bring performance down for everyone.

Interesting, didn't know that. OVH rate-limits ports to the advertised speeds (for example a recent special was limited to 250 Mbps OVH-to-Internet), so I assumed others could do it as well.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited December 2016

@mikmak i need only speed i paid for and dont care about "GO ABOVE" ;) if i paid for 500Mbit give me that, i dont want even your 501Mbit ;) and telling people limit it yourself, shhhhh, shame ...

• Anyone know of a comparable server (2x4 TB) around that price? $50 or so...

• xrzxrz Member
    edited December 2016

hetzner? a lot there on auctions 4x1.5TB 36€ or 7x1.5TB 46€

• @hucken 50 TB is a bit excessive on such a server :P

• @zeitgeist said:

@rm_ said:

Interesting, didn't know that. OVH rate-limits ports to the advertised speeds (for example a recent special was limited to 250 Mbps OVH-to-Internet), so I assumed others could do it as well.

OVH's limiting system has been broken since forrreeevvveeerrr

• Be good network citizens.

Don't be the minority that makes things worse for the vast majority.

Burst is always good to have.

Thanked by 1willie
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@xrz said:
    they said its me who need to limit it lol xD why i need to limit it? isnt easy for them to auto limit it to 500 Mbit

Well, since you went over they would be perfectly fine by charging you or downing the port, so take it as a courtesy and be happy that you can have this amount of bandwidth for such a low price you're paying.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@xrz said:
    i am going probably move out of those sh*ts and paypal dispute come tho too :D any idea who can offer similar but real 1Gbit or 500Mbit? not OVH!

No. Don't be another scum of the Earth and open PayPal disputes.

They did nothing wrong, they simply ask you to limit your port since you're probably wasting 100TB+