Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to mount Drive on another VPS node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to mount Drive on another VPS node

Hi,

I have VPSs in the same data center, is there a recommended way so that one VPS can mount the disk of the other VPS, so that that disk logically acts like a local disk. Thanks

Comments

• macpodmacpod Member
    edited December 2016

You could securely do this via sshfs. It depends on the security of the network between these computers. Just be aware that there is overhead associated with it since transfers must be encrypted/decrypted.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • You could use NFS to share the disk and only allow access to your other VPS, but if you are interested in performance, you should check this article which shows useful benchmarks for both NFS and SSHFS. (contains optimizations for SSHFS)

• Nfs or sshfs, i personally use sshfs to mount backup drive

• sshfs has some performance costs and maybe reliability probs but it's convenient. nfs is supposed to be better. I generally back up with scp or rsync, and use sshfs when I want to remote-mount the backup machine to read in individual files.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited December 2016

have a look into xnbd https://bitbucket.org/hirofuchi/xnbd/wiki/Home

short version: create a big empty disk image at the other vps and export this via xnbd (ovz suffices on that one) now connect to that export on the first VPS (needs to be kvm though) and have a block device which you can even encrypt and setup any fs you like.

use iptables to allow only connection from that vps and secure your setup.

Thanked by 1vimalware