Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

West Coast Colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

West Coast Colocation

ees9015ees9015 Member
edited December 2016 in Requests

Hi,
I'm new here, so go a bit easy on me, please.

What I'm looking for: An SSAE 16 Compliant Datacenter. (This is merely a gesture to me that you meet certain standards. That is all)
• A solution at or under 1250USD Annum. Will pay all upfront. If I’m happy, I’ll continue to be a customer.
• Must be in business a minimal of 5 years. I want to see your business registration.
• A west coast colocation host preferably.
• A legally binding 99.9% Network SLA, and a 100% Power SLA uptime.
• 3-5A at 220V for a total wattage consumption of 660 to 880. (Power usage isn’t constant, but can be bursty.) ) Or a 5-7A at 120V for 600 to 840 Watt.
• A /28 block
• 3U server space.
• 10TB to 33TB of BW. On a 1Gbit Port. (Probably even less, but I feel requiring a bit more will give me room to grow.
• Second network drop required. Just a basic 10Mb X 10Mb IPMI (IPMI must be hardware firewalled, zero exceptions.)
• Access to onsite grounds upon request. (Shouldn’t happen too much, but I’ve been ripped off before and I won’t be again.)
• I will want to initially visit the site in February when I go on vacation up the west coast. (This isn’t optional.)

I realize my power requirements might be a bit odd. But I’ll list the following reasons why.

• Heavy algorithmic number crunching (won’t go into much more detail than that.)
• Custom server. Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 X2 40 threaded machine, 196 Gigs of Ram, dual Quadro cards.
• 2 10TB HDs with SSD cached drives.

Full disclosure:

1. When I say 1250 USD, I have a margin of probably 15% that I can work with. Given the power needed, I’m willing to negotiate.
  2. Not too concerned with the bandwidth mixture as what I am doing isn’t too bandwidth intensive minus the offloading to other servers.
  3. I’m not looking to move into the Datacenter until probably mid-March or April 2017. (I just don’t want any hiccups which is why I’m scouting early)
  4. 100% of everything I do is 100% legal.

Tips and ideas to make this happen are much appreciated. Feel free to PM me and I'll respond back as quickly as possible.

Thanks.
Edward

P.S:
I realize it's a lot of power. However, after the first year, I'm willing to sign a 5 year contract.

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

$104/mo effectively for 5-8A, 3U, /28, 10TB+ on GigE, additional hardware firewalled IPMI drop... on the west coast. Lol.

Most of what you're requesting isn't too crazy, except for the power requirements. 2 maybe 3A is doable in that range, but you're likely looking at $15-20/m per additional amp at 110/120.

You can probably try talking to FiberHub, not sure how far you'll get but worth a chat. http://www.fiberhub.com/single-server-colocation/

Thanked by 1willie
  • Thanks Harambe. I'll look into it. About 104 with a 15% margin. So I'm willing to spend an annual 1440USD. But if I'm happy, I'd sign up for a 5 year contract at the end of the 1 year. I don't know about you, but I think 7200 dollars in cash is a nice offer. Sure, I'd prefer 6250 if possible. Again, thanks.

• Given the cost of that hardware, you may be cheaping out a bit on hosting. Also there will always be newer and faster stuff coming out, so planning to use the same box for 5 years means you'll get behind the times. And if you're not going to be running it full out most of the time, you might be better off with cloud services. Lots of big GPUs and stuff are out there, plus the Google Tensor stuff.

Thanked by 1ees9015
  • Thanks much Willie!
    Certainly wouldn't use the same box for five years. But, maybe you are right. I'll think on your suggestion. I have plenty of time to come up with a solution. I didn't even think about the Google tensorflow project at all. Maybe I''ll be better served going a similar route like that. Signed up for more information from Google.

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

I don't follow Tensor* exactly but my understanding is that Tensorflow is a software package, while the Tensor Processing Unit (TPU) is a special GPU-like chip Google uses for machine learning (its main different feature might be faster low-precision arithmetic). I heard something about it becoming available from GCE but don't know whether that's current, future, or imagined. I'd be interested to hear what you find out.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@ees9015 said:
    Thanks Harambe. I'll look into it. About 104 with a 15% margin. So I'm willing to spend an annual 1440USD. But if I'm happy, I'd sign up for a 5 year contract at the end of the 1 year. I don't know about you, but I think 7200 dollars in cash is a nice offer. Sure, I'd prefer 6250 if possible. Again, thanks.

No worries. The main issue with price (if you're curious) is that a rack is only provisioned for so much power, and with 5-8A draw you're basically in quarter cab territory (depending on the provider).

So even though you're only taking up 3U, you're drawing enough power for nearly 10U and creating unsaleable space that they still need to bill for.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@PhotonVPS may be able to work something out in LA.

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

You won't get 100% SLA power uptime without A+B circuits which usually isn't available unless you order a full cabinent.