Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Macbook Pro Download Speed sucks...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Macbook Pro Download Speed sucks...

Hey Guys,

I have a late 2015 model macbook pro running OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. For internet, we have Verizon Fios that is currently showing 15mb/s download and 13 mb/s upload from speedtest (brother on xbox and I have other downloads running now..).

However, whenever I am downloading something... from a website, server, etc.. it maxes out at 3.2 mb/s. I am sure there is something I can do... google isn't helping as I tried playing around with computer settings, disabling firewall/configuring it, updating router channels.. and more. Any input would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Well how are you connecting the Xbox and MacBook Pro? If I am not wrong you have connected the MacBook Pro over wireless and Xbox using ethernet?

• This is 'LowEnd' talk.

Most amusing thread title this week.

Try a bunch a looking glass urls and vpn networks to troubleshoot path issues.

Some isps limit per-connection throughput.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I am 100% sure this is related to your network configuration be it congested wifi channel or shitty cable somewhere along the way.

You're going to have to do a heap more troubleshooting to give us more information if you want help.

• How is your MacBook connected to your router ? if it's wireless try ethernet and then check again

• @cheapwebdev calls himself a consultant on fiverr. Wonder if this is a client or if for him. Of course since Im a simpleton - I would first eliminate all traffic on my network (ie turn off brothers Xbox), then test things and if I was downloading from one of @cheapwebdev KVM or kimsufi that he spoke so highly of - I'd make sure they are configured correctly too. Chances are both sides of the street need some construction work.

• "downloading from a website"

Ye, very clear problem description.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

First of all, connect with an Ethernet cable and see if the WiFi is not a problem.

• You would probably be better off posting your question on a Mac specific forum, for example: http://forums.macrumors.com/ or http://www.mac-forums.com/

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Or genious bar for that matter ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Since he has a Macbook he probably need an adapter to get ethernet.

• Are you using a Download Manager? Speedtest opens multiple connection to test where as downloading from a browser opens a single connection.

• PioHostPioHost Member
    edited February 2017

That sounds about right to me, speed test will test in megabits by default and when you download you download in megabytes,

in setting on speed test you can change it to megabyte and see your true download speed :) for instance here is the difference in tests.

(Default) megabits

After changing to megabytes

• dodedodododedodo Member
    edited February 2017

piohost said: After changing to megabytes

Are you sure?

• @Wicked said:
    Since he has a Macbook he probably need an adapter to get ethernet.

Thanks for Hellbumping this thread.

• WickedWicked Member
    edited February 2017

@WSS said:

@Wicked said:
    Since he has a Macbook he probably need an adapter to get ethernet.

Thanks for Hellbumping this thread.

Lol, it was in my feed. Would have never bothered posting if it was that old.

No idea what happened :p maybe the post before mine got deleted.

• @cheapwebdev Have you tried thinking differently?