Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to put a Tor Exit node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to put a Tor Exit node?

Hello,

I'm looking for ideal locations to place an Exit node at.
Give me some suggestions please.

Requirements:

• 99% Uptime
  • CPU at least a Quad core @ 3.0Ghz or higher.
  • For bandwidth either 1Gbps/30TB, 1Gbps/100TB, or 1Gbps "unmetered."
  • Lenient on Abuse notices.

Budget: $40-$100

Thanks,

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

Bumblehive would be a good start.

(sorry)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When someone asks me where to put something...

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2016

@jarland said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When someone tells me where to put something that I consider volatile...

I see the thread title, click on it while considering posting "up your arse", then backtracking with "they'll send me a warning" and scroll down to see the admin has posted it - big smile on my face.

Confidence on LET restored!

• beardlynessbeardlyness Member
    edited December 2016

@MikeA said:

(sorry)
    @jarland said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When someone asks me where to put something that I consider volatile...

@deadbeef said:

@jarland said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When someone tells me where to put something that I consider volatile...

I see the thread title, click on it while considering posting "up your arse", then backtracking with "they'll send me a warning" and scroll down to see the admin has posted it - big smile on my face.

Can I get legitimate suggestions..

Thanked by 1jtk
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2016

beardlyness said: Can I get legitimate suggestions..

Not even a courtesy laugh for the aqua teen reference? Tough crowd.

I legitimately don't know who meets those network requirements but also allows exit nodes.

Thanked by 3deadbeef Four20 Unixfy
  • Well there seems to be a lot of Trabia tor nodes, have you checked them out?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@beardlyness said:

http://summerhost.biz/

Thanked by 2deadbeef KillaKev
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

@beardlyness said:

@MikeA said:

(sorry)
    @jarland said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. When someone asks me where to put something that I consider volatile...

@deadbeef said:

@jarland said:

Sorry, I just can't imagine you'd get a real suggestion here for a provider that would allow a Tor exit node. There's no way to just stop all types of various abuse that come from them....?

Why not find current exit nodes and see what datacenters they're hosted in and base it off of that?

Thanked by 2jar trewq
  • @sin said:
    Well there seems to be a lot of Trabia tor nodes, have you checked them out?

Thanks for this. We already had a node from Trabia but didn't get a lot of bandwidth so had to drop it.

@Harambe said:

@beardlyness said:

http://summerhost.biz/

Seems most of the tabs get redirected to @colocrossing.

• Trabia?

I've talked with Sven (owner) they don't tolerate any abuse because there is no way to stop it.

• @MikeA said:

@beardlyness said:

@MikeA said:

(sorry)
    @jarland said:

@deadbeef said:

@jarland said:

Sorry, I just can't imagine you'd get a real suggestion here for a provider that would allow a Tor exit node. There's no way to just stop all types of various abuse that come from them....?

Why not find current exit nodes and see what datacenters they're hosted in and base it off of that?

We'd like to bring newer locations then just the sea of OVH nodes, and we're already with most of the popular providers etc.

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

beardlyness said: Thanks for this. We already had a node from Trabia but didn't get a lot of bandwidth so had to drop it.

Oh okay, what about Leaseweb Netherlands? Their abuse system is pretty much automatic so as long as you reply you should be alright (they're listed on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs too)

-edit- nevermind saw you said you've been with most of the popular providers so I'm sure you have tried them already then

• @sin said:

beardlyness said: Thanks for this. We already had a node from Trabia but didn't get a lot of bandwidth so had to drop it.

Oh okay, what about Leaseweb Netherlands? Their abuse system is pretty much automatic so as long as you reply you should be alright (they're listed on https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs too)

-edit- nevermind saw you said you've been with most of the popular providers so I'm sure you have tried them already then

Thank you for this. If you find a good deal from Leaseweb let us know. We've personally been in contact with them, and they've given us the "green light" on all of their locations. Correctly we've only got their German location up. But if they have some good deals we'll get another local from them.

Thanks,

• @sin leaseweb will kick anyone when some serious abuse will come and traffic is expensive.

• Layer said: leaseweb will kick anyone when some serious abuse will come and traffic is expensive

Well there seem to be a lot of Leaseweb tor nodes and they're on the list of tor friendly hosts. I agree with you about the traffic though.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Pop open ipinfo.io in Tor browser, repeatedly hit 'New Tor circuit for this site' - will give you a ton of friendly ASNs. I think anyone who sells bandwidth for pennies is already being used and on the Good/Bad ISPs list.

I'm seeing a lot more single subnet ASNs being used. People who own, or lease, IPv4 space setting up a new ASN and getting their IPs announced with a cheap bandwidth provider. They deal directly with the abuse reports and if they get booted they just move it and announce elsewhere.

• Virtwire allowed this on some of their plans when they were around. I don't remember which DC's they were in. I'd expect the DC would have to deal with at least some of the heat, and that would be an obstacle in itself.

• Hetzner hosts a lot of for exit nodes, give them a try.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    Virtwire allowed this on some of their plans when they were around. I don't remember which DC's they were in. I'd expect the DC would have to deal with at least some of the heat, and that would be an obstacle in itself.

Depends if they had their own ASN or we're using the DC's network exclusively.

• Are the exit nodes used for criminal activities

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2016

xsltel or ecatel are pretty solid when it comes to abuse notices. Either one of them would gladly run your tor node. xsltel will run anything even if its blatantly illegal as long as you pay them enough..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Why not just get a 2 or 3 good fiber/dsl lines in at home and run them there?

Thanked by 2gestiondbi netomx
  • Anthony2016Anthony2016 Member
    edited December 2016

@beardlyness: I do recommend balkanvps.com located in Prishtina/Republic of Kosovo in the first place for that purpose.
    We use one of their servers for our VPN service. They've got a friendly and competent support and their IPs seem to be perfectly suitable for a Tor Exit: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/query/SBL257361

Another host I can recommend is LcSNet.ro located in Timișoara/Romania.
    Their support is also very good.
    At the moment their upstreams are a bit weak (you will only get a VPS with 100 Mbps shared there), but they gonna add a new upstream provider next year.
    They are much cheaper and and have a more liberaly abuse handling than Voxiliy.

datawire.ch in Zug/Switzerland (not to be mixed up with datasource.ch), ip-connect.vn.ua in Vinnytsia/Ukraine and servetheworld.net in Oslo/Norway are worth to take a closer look at, too.

I wouldn't recomment Trabia or ntx.ru (former 2x4/MediaServicePlus LLC), because of their strict abuse policy. 2x4.ru/MediaServicePlus used to be a good host for VPN services in the past, but due to legislation changes in Russia that changed.

All services I mentioned except ServeTheWorld accept BTC for payment. At ServeTheWorld you can pay with Credit Card or PayPal.

Thanked by 2deadbeef DarioX
  • Why everyone in US hate Tor exit? just like a NK behind :)

• @beardlyness said:

Have you seen this page from the Tor Project?

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

• wi8UJvavk6wi8UJvavk6 Member
    edited December 2016

Don't put new exit nodes in FR/DE/NL/US as these locations are already over-represented.

https://compass.torproject.org/#/by_country?exit_filter=all_relays&links&sort=cw&sort_reverse&country=&by_country&top=30&exits_only

• @jtk said:
    Have you seen this page from the Tor Project?

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/GoodBadISPs

That page is useless. There's no way it can stay current with the multitude of ISP and their changing policies. Look at the dates on some of those entries.

• Idk if its different in other countries but here in germany you will get raided sooner or later for running an exit node

• lion said: here in germany you will get raided sooner or later for running an exit node

GEMA never sleep

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

@Layer said:
    @sin leaseweb will kick anyone when some serious abuse will come and traffic is expensive.

In case you properly react on abuse reports generated by your tor exit they will not touch you. Their abuse team is aware of TOR network.

You can get dual core server with 100TB bandwidth from LeaseWeb for ~50 EUR. It will be capable for 300mbit/s in/out tor exit node without any issues.

Thanked by 1sin