Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN/Proxy with data compression?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN/Proxy with data compression?

HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

A friend of mine is moving out to the middle of nowhere and with that comes satellite internet with super low data caps. Any tips or advice on a VPN or proxy solution that can pretty effectively compress data (even lossy for images/etc)?

So far I've found/know of - OpenVPN comp-lzo which would probably help a bit with text. Chrome's data saver plugin (although you're giving Google even more data). Ziproxy which seems to do most of it, but hasn't been updated in a couple years - will give it a shot though. Also will run ad blocking DNS to reduce some bandwidth usage there.

For those that are bandwidth limited and run some sort of compression, how do you do it/what do you use?

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2016
  • NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited December 2016

Ziproxy works fine for HTTP, but more and more sites are adopting HTTPS, which means your traffic won't get compressed on those. There was a Python script somewhere that did HTTPS compression (it used a MITM technique), but I can't find the link.

Edit: http://yalis.fr/cms/index.php/post/2014/01/23/Compress-the-mobile-web-even-further-both-HTTP-and-HTTPS

Use Ziproxy (HTTP) + that script (if you're okay with MITM).

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • AutoserveurAutoserveur Member
    edited December 2016

Hey, I'm also interested to find some software with data compression. I looked for wan proxy like you said. But I find this topic : https://freevps.us/thread-9076-post-106961.html#pid106961 and they say you have to modify the kernel and with openVZ you can't modify the kernel ?

• Softether also does data compression.

You can easily setup a dns server with adblocking as well.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • I'd suggest being even more drastic and cutting images altogether. With all the AJAX dependencies maybe it's best to run a remote headless browser that renders the site HTML and dumps out rendered text that can be compressed and sent to you by satellite.

• I think it is also worth considering a RDP/X2GO type of solution as they can be run in "56kbps (modem) mode" and use pretty low bandwidth (with compression) and yet give you a pretty decent experience. This way the remote end (server in whatever location) can happily use whatever bandwidth and the client (middle of nowhere over satellite) connects to the server and you only use bandwidth when you "see" images etc. You can still get a lot done over SSH etc. and you also have the option of tunneling over SSH in case you want to use a local browser (normal VPN mode). Using privoxy/adblock/ublock/noscript etc. you can really reduce junk and yet get a pretty decent browsing experience both locally and via remote.

I've done this over 2G/Edge and managed to get things done but I obviously wasn't happy (since I was used to much more regular bandwidth/latency).

• Most satellite providers are having their own program to cache internet traffic on both sides.