Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what VPS for a very small mediawiki?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what VPS for a very small mediawiki?

adrockadrock Member
edited April 2013 in General

I need to get a small VPs (or possibly use a spare existing one) to create a very small (couple of dozen or so pages) mediawiki. It's all part of a slightly elaborate practical joke, but i figured it'd give me a bit of experience with mediawiki and potentially a webserver (I'm that guy who just dumps everything in /var/www).

anyone know what sort of VPS I'd need for that, I'm assuming it won't be much, potential target audience is again a few dozen people or so. will a 128 or 256MB leb manage it?

Comments

• 128mb VPS on minimal would work fine.

• 128MB is ok, I had a vbulletin forum running on a 64MB VPS without problems. needed to disable all unnecessary services, replace openssh->dropbear, innodb disabled in mysql, nginx webserver, php-fpm.

• adrockadrock Member
    edited April 2013

I have a spare 128MB I'll give it a go on tonight i think, thanks guys.

my nginx knowledge is limited to it's pronunciation. Hurray, a new learning opportunity!

• Just make sure to disable un-needed services. Honestly just use Minstall to minimalize it first.

• @superpilesos said: 128MB is ok, I had a vbulletin forum running on a 64MB VPS without problems. needed to disable all unnecessary services, replace openssh->dropbear, innodb disabled in mysql, nginx webserver, php-fpm.

vB doesn't work anymore on non-innodb enabled mySQL servers starting with 5, I think.

Though, 5 by itself is probably too heavy for 128MB.

• @adrock Minstall would happily do this for you without any hassle.

• registered the domain i wanted, got the VPS up and got minstall, all via my phone during lunch. The rest probably needs to wait 'til i get home.

i figure i want to do the clean, install dropbear and maybe extra repositories. Then mysql, nginx, and php. Then get mediawiki on there and beat it all into shape with a keyboard?

A friend suggested trying a bitnami stack, but i'm guessing with it using apache it might not be intended for use on a small VPS? It also sounds like it'd be easier but i'd learn a lot less.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If memory serves, MediaWiki supports sqlite, so you could even get away without running mysql.

• Mediawiki supports everything known to man. If it doesn't, someone will probably make a plugin to force it to do exactly that.

• @Wintereise said: Mediawiki supports everything known to man. If it doesn't, someone will probably make a plugin to force it to do exactly that.

Does it support my banana? It has the bad case of the Mondays.

• They make pills for that, Pie

• @superpilesos said: 64MB VPS without problems. needed to disable all unnecessary services

I wouldn't call that entirely without problems, but still cool.

• it wasn't a spare 128mb i had, it was a spare 96mb. it's been challenging but i think i'm making progress, just learning what an nginx.conf should look like :)

i do have to stop nginx and mysql each time i need to apt-get install something due to low memory, but i figure i may as well see how far i can take this :)

• @adrock said: i do have to stop nginx and mysql each time i need to apt-get install something due to low memory, but i figure i may as well see how far i can take this :)

Yeah thats lowend how I like it. Barely enough to do the job, you have to work hard tweaking and improving configurations :>

• yeah, and it's forcing me to learn which is good, right?

i mean, if it doesn't work, then i'll either get the VPS upgraded, or start over on a better spec vps using what i've learned so far.