Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Madrid location UP - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Madrid location UP

2»

Comments

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@perryoo11 said:
    Connection to my house is 300kb/s

Tracert? If you don't get good transit, is because your home provider has not good peering with NTT, and this is a very strange thing. Can you verify?

• jmginer said: CCR1072

I'm still not sure who decided it was a great idea to use CCR's in a DDoS prone environment... does that work out? Are these still single PSU fixed?

jmginer said: We are going to launch a new NVMe OVZ offer, based in 2 x NMVe in RAID-1

... let me guess, you tried to raid them with mdadm not considering this is absolutely not how NVMe performance increase works and then see the 1GB/s out of a 2500MB/s Samsung SM951... right?

• @Jack said:

Layer said: Oh, mikrotik that's cheap trash

I don't use anything mikrotik personally but I've actually seen it perform really well.

This is a really cool video.

Anyone notice this? ;)

edited January 2017

@William said:
    I'm still not sure who decided it was a great idea to use CCR's in a DDoS prone environment... does that work out? Are these still single PSU fixed?

Detection + mitigation in less than 15 sec. More info: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/61432/smama

Dual PSU

... let me guess, you tried to raid them with mdadm not considering this is absolutely not how NVMe performance increase works and then see the 1GB/s out of a 2500MB/s Samsung SM951... right?

You're comparing Intel write speed vs Samsung read speed.

SM951 are only M.2 format, there is not any U.2 version that is what we need in the Supermicro Microcloud.

The main goal in NVMe, are the IOPS, and there is no much difference btw Intel or Samsung.

• WSSWSS Member

@jmginer said:
    @WSS VAT number is not mandatory

I tried leaving it blank, but it wouldn't let me. Will have to give it another shot.

• WSSWSS Member

Huh. Cleared cache and it took this time. El Número de Pedido es: 1722496094

• WSSWSS Member

You are very generous with RAM. Yowza.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • jmginer said: Detection + mitigation in less than 15 sec

Not what i mean - i mean DDoS BYPASSING your protection or before it triggers, eg. a FULL 10G SYN flood on the uplink port which a Cisco will not care about PP/S wise but nearly any SW/non-ASIC solution will unless you throw insane CPU at it (eg. AWS's Cisco image for SW based routing).

jmginer said: You're comparing Intel write speed vs Samsung read speed.

Nah, just had wrong SSD - SM961 is around 3200MB/s read and about 2000MB/s write on a PCIe 3.0 x4 bus.

My SM951 does consistently 1400MB/s write and 1900MB/s (limited by PCIe 2.0) read in a non-supported Mac Pro, and this is AHCI.

jmginer said: SM951 are only M.2 format, there is not any U.2 version that is what we need in the Supermicro Microcloud.

You are aware that M.2 is the preferred standard and by volume much cheaper? The 2,5" drives are only there as intermediate step and for very high capacity, there are adapters obviously (they stack literally here in a box for another project):

https://prnt.li/f/106d96e3f3fd509b68875cbea774c1b8-oon4laqu3h.png

Please also keep in mind that most (newer?) Intel NVMe SSDs are TLC/3D based with some tweaks to keep costs down (which is why they are this cheap) that possibly affect MTBF/TBW and general realiability.

jmginer said: The main goal in NVMe, are the IOPS, and there is no much difference btw Intel or Samsung.

The main goal is to fix the extremely inefficient AHCI (not SATA!) standard which does limit a LOT of things (especially random) and adapt to PCIe - the better IOPS in non-sequential write/read are just a protocol and path shortening effect (no SATA/AHCI bridge).

• Mikrotik is actually pretty solid option and really affordable..

For sure, it's obviously not "as good" as Cisco/Juniper counterparts by default, but that too depends on your configuration. Well configured Microtik can outperform badly configured Cisco/Juniper.

And then again, the cost is a dream come true compared to what other brands cost for similar performance.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:
    Well configured Microtik can outperform badly configured Cisco/Juniper.

No, because Mikrotik is just a software router with multiple 1G/10GE Interfaces. No ability to do 10G/40G/100G Line-Rate, which does Cisco/Juniper totally easy.

I think you havent seen or even configured any real hardware router yet.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Kabeldamagement said:

@stefeman said:
    Well configured Microtik can outperform badly configured Cisco/Juniper.

No, because Mikrotik is just a software router with multiple 1G/10GE Interfaces. No ability to do 10G/40G/100G Line-Rate, which does Cisco/Juniper totally easy.

+1.

• WSS said: You are very generous with RAM. Yowza.

which one did you ordered?

• WSSWSS Member

@dedicados said:

WSS said: You are very generous with RAM. Yowza.

which one did you ordered?

..the free one?

Thanked by 1varunchopra
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited January 2017

WSS said: ..the free one?

lol, thats true

• @jmginer this is a fast test report, contains a lot of information about connectivity to china. wish it is useful for you

http://test.91yun.org/en/report.php?id=3113b1ad27e968233635b89ecc9584ad

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • Don't order on Ginernet, they scamming their customers.

• @slmdr said:
    Don't order on Ginernet, they scamming their customers.

Without any proof this message qualifies as slander, which is illegal in most countries.

• WSSWSS Member

Well, that didn't last long:

`vamos a dar por finalizada la fase BETA de nuestros VPS NVMe. Todos los VPS están en proceso de ser destruidos.

Agradecemos enormemente el tiempo que has dedicado a hacer uso de tu VPS.

Lamentablemente, muchos usuarios están haciendo uso de sus VPS BETA para lanzar ataques DDoS a otras redes, por lo que cualquier prueba que hagas sobre el VPS no refleja el rendimiento real que tendrías si contratases el servicio.

Así pues, antes de que pienses "esto no funciona", vamos a cortarlo ya.

Si estás interesado en contratar el servicio, en los próximos días sacaremos esta nueva gama de VPS basados en discos NVMe y para agradecerte tus pruebas, aquí te proponemos este cupón de descuento: YoFuiBETA

De nuevo, muchas gracias por el tiempo que has empleado.

Recibe un cordial saludo.`

Long story short, it's being claimed that people are using these awesome VPS to DDoS others, so they're all being yanked- but please don't take it that the VPS are poor. Thanks, Ginernet- I'd pay a few bucks to keep it, but it's far too over-spec'd for what I'd use it for (A 2gig VPS is 8EURO/Mo). I tried testing the code to see what sort of discount it offered, and was told it isn't valid (yet).

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

@jmginer when can we order with the discount code?

• I've tested them they've performed nicely.

• @Kabeldamagement said:

Actually I have.. A Cisco router to be specific.. I also have CCNA1 and CCNA2 course certificates.

I assumed that the Mikrotik is a cheap model with similar capabilities as 10G Cisco/Juniper. At least that's what they said in one of their presentations I watched online before making that post.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Similar in case of the control plane, of course. But you can not compare a Mikrotik with a real hardware router in terms of forwarding performance - the hardware router will beat it a few times due specialized Chips (FPGA / ASIC). As far as I know, Router OS is also using only one cpu core for the bgp process which makes it totally unusable for larger networks with multipe bgp fulltables.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Jack said: This is a really cool video.

I had a good laugh when I saw Drumpf's face on the F2B slide.

We finished the DE-CIX setup: https://www.de-cix.net/en/locations/spain/madrid/connected-networks

Now, the traffic between our 3 locations (Madrid, Barcelona and Alicante) it's exchanged via the DE-CIX as a main link.

Looking glasses:

Thanked by 3brueggus Shade trewq