Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why online.net selling SC sata 2016 when hdd is too slow?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why online.net selling SC sata 2016 when hdd is too slow?

xrzxrz Member
edited December 2016 in Help

they have it on their status page that there is a bug in SC sata 2016, why even they selling them when they know about the bug ? W.T.F.? no point

Comments

• Well I am not sure if your title is saying the same you do in your post. But I will refer to that title. They give you the option to pick either hdd or ssd because hdd is cheaper. So you get more space due to ssd being more expensive. Also you will choose what your demands fit best. When you only need a lot of space you will likely pick hdd. When you need fast harddrives you will likely pick ssd. I do not get your point with pointing out a bug. Maybe you give us a link or screenshot?

• It's common knowledge that the 2016 SC/XC line has a firmware bug that severely impacts I/O speed. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a box without this bug.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited December 2016

ordered 10 times and got a buggy server with speed like 500kb/s (try install with this speed something on hdd like UBUNTU thats just impossible and loong time consuming) on HDD so? :D its shame they sell BUGGY CRAP servers

• CdoeCdoe Member
    edited December 2016

@blackjack4494 said:
    Also you will choose what your demands fit best. When you only need a lot of space you will likely pick hdd. When you need fast harddrives you will likely pick ssd. I do not get your point with pointing out a bug. Maybe you give us a link or screenshot?

I highly doubt reaching 1MB/s IO speed on bugged custom motherboards is something you would like to get.

• Yep, dealing with this now. CPU hit's 100% when writing data. Rsync'd 40 gig out at 45 megs tranfers, 3 minutes to complete. Rsync'd same data back in at 7 megs transfer with much stalling, 3 hours to complete. Good seedbox :-/

• With those setup fees seems like there is no reason for them to stop selling such servers. People pay setup fee for most likely automated provisioning and then cancel because the box is unusable...

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Got a box for old server sc gen 2 replacement on2016-10-22 .Experienced similar issue

After that I had a ticket with online.net and they tired all thinks first

Asked reinstall with default partition

Format via rescue mode

Reinstall from their side to Debian

None woked

Finally Jonathan(online.net) replaced the server . Now and while it offers better I/o now.

They were aware of the issue . But it's not limited to client to open a ticket to fix it

For mine it take not more than 24 hours to get the replacement with out single investment till Jan-1,2017
    :)

• I've used Scaleway x86 servers (vps and dedicated) a few times which look to be the same hardware as SC2016, except with network disk instead of SATA. They've worked fine for me. I didn't try the one with the local SSD.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2016

I agree the thread subject is not a acurately describing the issue in the OP.

OP refers to the big with Online.net hw, but the subject, for me, implies the OP doesn't like SATA drives in servers