Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightsail login with username-password instead of ssh-key
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lightsail login with username-password instead of ssh-key

Hi,

I would like to use AWS lightsail (ubuntu), but login via a username and password instead of the defauly ssh-key requirement. Is there a way to enable username/password logins?

i tried adding PasswordAuthentication yes to sshd_config (with restart), but that did not work. I get this error "Permission denied (publickey)" Any ideas?

Comments

• Edit sshd_config

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

Change PermitRootLogin to yes. It'll be 'without-password' or 'prohibit-password' right now.

For the non-root user they setup, which I think is just 'ubuntu' you need to most likely just set a password for it passwd

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Why are you trying to use password login? Keypair login is much, much more secure.

• This combo allowed me to ssh via username and password:

PasswordAuthentication yes
    PubkeyAuthentication no
    PermitRootLogin no

• joepie91 said: Why are you trying to use password login? Keypair login is much, much more secure.

Some times I have to jump between computers, and using a password is more convenient in these situations.

• @AdamM said:

joepie91 said: Why are you trying to use password login? Keypair login is much, much more secure.

Some times I have to jump between computers, and using a password is more convenient in these situations.

So is hopping onto a cheap host you setup only to use for hopping through. 2 factor auth on a 64MB KVM would even be enough for most cases.. and help you to keep things secure.

• @WSS said:
    So is hopping onto a cheap host you setup only to use for hopping through. 2 factor auth on a 64MB KVM would even be enough for most cases.. and help you to keep things secure.

agreed