Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoDaddy buys Host Europe Group
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoDaddy buys Host Europe Group

If you don't know who the Host Europe Group is here are some of their brands.
123-reg, Webfusion, Heart Internet, BrandFortress, Host Europe, Domainbox, Domainmonster, Domainfactory, DonHost, Sign-Up.to, velia.net, RedCoruna and Server4You.

Final nail in the coffin I would say. I used Host Europe for nearly a decade and Domainfactory for multiple years. Last year they already moved all of their equipment out of Germany to France and now they get bought by GoDaddy, a company which we all know as the epitome of quality.
Kind of sad that I have to move out because the service of Host Europe was really top notch but hosting company critical data under a US company just doesn't fly these days.

Comments

• That's one big acquisition. Lots more consolidation.

• I use GoDaddy, 123-reg, Domainbox.

Not happy at GD just now, they accidentally deposited someone elses cash into my reseller account (2 transactions, $2K) so I never received any low balance notifications and now I'm at -$150. Only way to top up my account is by wire transfer which takes a week.

Just waiting to entertain whichever muppet responds to my ticket.

They're great marketers and their services aren't so bad... but their human element is horrible.

• @ricardo said:

but their human element is horrible.

I would be shocked if there are actual human beings working for GoDaddy.

• I think there's a few guys in the board room that shoot elephants, and the rest are zombies.

• not really unexpected. HEG was held before by Cinven https://www.cinven.com/ a private equity group. so it's been clear that at some they would want to cash out.

United Internet (i.a. 1and1 ) and Deutsche Telekom (i.a. strato) are reported to have been trying to acquire HEG earlier this year but didn't succeed.

• ricardo said: and their services aren't so bad...

Really? Try telnet imap.secureserver.net 143 and check the banner.

• Yeah really. The shock and the horror of that will be the undoing of them.

• @jesin said:

ricardo said: and their services aren't so bad...

Their copyright from 2004? Don't see the problem.

• Interesting news, congratulations and best of luck to GoDaddy.

FYI, this acquisition was finalized at 1.69 billion euros ($1.82 billion), including debt.

• @dealdomains said:
    Wow time for European Web Hosting provider to check for alternative solution :)

Even though this is indeed sad, we do have lots of alternatives here. Gazillions of small hosters as well as the really big ones such as OVH, United Internet (1&1) and Deutsche Telekom/Strato...

It's because especially df) had a good reputation, but there's still plenty of alternatives.

• @tr1cky said:

@jesin said:

Courier updates the year with each new version. The oldest version available on sourceforge, v4.7 (2009-12-30) has the year set to 2008. Moreover cPanel dropped support for Courier from v11.54.

• @jesin said:

@tr1cky said:

@jesin said:

Courier updates the year with each new version. The oldest version available on sourceforge, v4.7 (2009-12-30) has the year set to 2008. Moreover cPanel dropped support for Courier from v11.54.

New software only causes new bugs.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited December 2016

1&1 an alternative? Holy hell, things must be bad if 1&1 is now considered a viable solution to anything.

Might as well just burn your money out back, would get more satisfaction than using them.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • In doubt... Godaddy anytime over one EIG host.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@tr1cky said:

@jesin said:

@tr1cky said:

@jesin said:

New software only causes new bugs.

... no, no it doesn't.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • So, EIG 2?

• There is a lot of consolidation which has happened in the last 2-3 years.
    Lets see where does this go.