Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Public DNS?

NeoNeo Banned
edited April 2013 in General

Hi,

Its a bad idea to run a public dns on a lowendbox?

Comments

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited April 2013

Yes, it is. The idiots at hackforums discovered dns amplification attacks a few months ago and now they're attacking my customers often, most are from public open resolvers.

• Few providers ban the use of recursive DNS queries now...

• FreekFreek Member

'Any' public service is usually a 'bad idea'. There are always people out there that get a kick out of abusing stuff. Whether it's a gameserver, DNS server or even a mis-configured mod_proxy apache module cough.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited April 2013

Unless you're Google,

don't

make one.

The quadruple combo means you're serious. H1 + B + I + U makes an extreme combination.

• MunMun Member

Long story short, there is already plenty of them run by large corps that do the job way better then you could.

• PaulPaul Member

What's your purpose for doing so? I'd say if you're doing it for a thesis or an experiment on DDoS / DNS amplification attacks and how to prevent them, then I think it's a great idea and you're in the right direction. Go for it.

• NeoNeo Banned

I dont be so drunken that i would run them public, i was only thinking about it.
    Other question, its possible to add a black/whitelist to bind9?

• MunMun Member

Yes you can.

@Neo said: its possible to add a black/whitelist to bind9?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Freek said: Whether it's a gameserver, DNS server or even a mis-configured mod_proxy apache module cough.

LOL...