Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloud Implementation Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloud Implementation Help

peachstolipeachstoli Member
edited April 2013 in Help

Plan : -
1. A cloud is formed by co-located servers and storage devices of different departments
2. Every users from different department (Students / Staff) are being allocated by a virtual machine.
3. Users can remotely login to their respective virtual machines
4. All virtual machine are running on the cloud
Objective:-
1. Power Saving
2. Security of data
3. Exposure to a huge integrated computing facility
4. Centralized management of all computational activities of the Institute
Design:-
1. Hardware
A SAN (Storage Area Network) is formed by servers and storage devices
Requirements
1. SAN switch
2. Storage servers
3. Servers supporting virtualization
2. Software
1. Every servers are installed with KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
2. Virtual Machines and cloud are managed by OpenStack
3. Competing technologies are VMWare and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager
Example:-
1. A B-Tech student is allocated with a virtual machine at the time of his admission having 100GB space, Internet and high speed computing facility along with all the learning resources required for his entire course period (study materials and softwares like Java, Matlab, 3D studio etc). He can access his Virtual machine 24x7 from anywhere in the world.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Is there a question here somewhere?

Or are you just asking us to design your entire business plan so you can then take the blueprint and go make big bucks?

BTW is this in your own datacenter that you're building or on one of those $20/month dedis or...?

@adarshv said: Requirements

1. SAN switch
    2. Storage servers
    3. Servers supporting virtualization
    2. Software
    1. Every servers are installed with KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
    2. Virtual Machines and cloud are managed by OpenStack
    3. Competing technologies are VMWare and Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization Manager

Your first challenge is to make sure you fully understand how Arabic numerals work.

@adarshv said: 1. A B-Tech student is allocated with a virtual machine at the time of his admission having 100GB space, Internet and high speed computing facility along with all the learning resources required for his entire course period (study materials and softwares like Java, Matlab, 3D studio etc). He can access his Virtual machine 24x7 from anywhere in the world.

I'm dying to know what university is designing its infrastructure on LowEndTalk.

• @raindog308 said: Is there a question here somewhere?

If you cant help. Get your ass over here.

• For "Servers supporting virtualization", I'd go for a processor supporting VT extensions.

For the access around the world 24/7, I'd go for KVM. It supports a VNC connection to the screen, makes shit easy on that front.

• @Rallias said: I'd go for KVM.

Actually I'm searching for a control panel to create vps instances.
    They can't spend bucks on Software side,

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@adarshv said: If you cant help. Get your ass over here.

Help with what? There's no question in your post...

• @raindog308 said: Help with what?

@adarshv said: Actually I'm searching for a control panel to create vps instances.

• It's like he copy and pasted a homework assignment and wants someone to complete it for him lol.

• @herbyscrub said: homework assignment

+1

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@adarshv said: Actually I'm searching for a control panel to create vps instances.

So... SolusVM? If you can't spend money on the software (totally ridiculous) then use HyperVM and go with OpenVZ? Or maybe make your own?

Edit: Totally blanked the OpenStack part.

• twaintwain Member

@adarshv said: Virtual Machines and cloud are managed by OpenStack

If Openstack is a requirement, then start there. There is ample documentation available online detailing installation and infrastructure scenarios/requirements related to storage/compute etc.

Also, Red Hat very recently released their own free implementation of Openstack called RDO:

http://openstack.redhat.com/Main_Page

From the page:

In just a few short steps, you can transform any machine running Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, Scientific Linux, or any other Red Hat Enterprise Linux based distribution into an OpenStack powerhouse:

http://openstack.redhat.com/Quickstart

If you want likely easier, there is:

Piston has a free implementation (for non-commercial use only):
    https://airframe.pistoncloud.com/

• Serious advice: If you don't have the ability and intelligence to do the research, hire a consultant.

• Set up a Ubuntu server, refer to it as a cloud

You have now set up a cloud

• Random_DudeRandom_Dude Member
    edited April 2013

Gotta agree with serverian, but I'll throw this out there, you can try using synnefo.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited April 2013

They can't spend bucks on Software side,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Machine_Manager

EDIT: I know the wikipedia looks like I'm being a smartass, it's the name of the software I recommend, not some listing of VM management softwares.

• twaintwain Member

@Random_Dude said: you can try using synnefo.

Very interesting thanks for that link.