Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verizon To Century Link
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Verizon To Century Link

fonterayfonteray Member
edited April 2013 in General

For financial reasons I want to switch from Verizon to Century Link. My question is, I have a laptop and Century link, in my area at least, is a provider where you have to hook up to a phone jack. I'll be working about 1 mile from where I'll be living, so can I take my laptop to work with me and still stay in the network? Getting online? I know, noob question, but I don't know about these technical aspects.

Comments

• You could always run a 1 mil long network cable from your house to where you're working..

Otherwise, I suggest you consider something like verizon mifi (or any other cell provider) device to just have internet wherever you are. t-mobile may have a good no contract option.

• ZiggaZigga Member

@unused, 1 mile long ethernet cables don't work. Ethernet is designed to work no more than 100 meters.

I don't really understand what @fonteray is asking, so I am going to assume you want to share your works internet connection?

If you have line of sight from your workplace to your house you can try getting some very directional antennae on some very powerful WIFI routers. Build a wireless bridge and voila!

this might be highly illegal depending on what county/state area

• My interpretation, sorry if I'm getting this wrong @fonteray.

The post is based on the assumption that because you use a phone jack to connect to the network, connecting to another phone jack will result in being connected to the same network.

If that's the case the answer is a no, however there are methods of getting into your home network from home, for example by running a VPN server on your router - Very easy to do with DD-WRT et al.

• fonterayfonteray Member
    edited April 2013

The router that I would have really wouldn't be mine, but someone else's that would stay at the house. What I was asking, really, is if there is a way to randomly pick up on a signal where I work so I can do my online thing on my lunch break. I could always go home for lunch but that's too much of a hassle.

And yeah, a mile long Ethernet cord? I may be a noob but I didn't just log on yesterday. LOL. What's this DD-WRT you speak of? Is it something that would "bounce off" the router?

• @fonteray said: And yeah, a mile long Ethernet cord? I may be a noob but I didn't just log on yesterday. LOL.

Well fiber converters are getting cheaper :P

• Assuming LOS and low noise, you could do this with an inexpensive PTP bridge. Whether it would be worth the effort or not is another question.

• The LOS wouldn't be that good I suppose. A lot of buildings and such in the way. I just looked into PTP bridges after you mentioned it and, no, I don't think it would be worth it.

• @ unused.......... I already have that with Verizon. I will look into T-Mobile though to see if they can offer me a better deal. I just really like being mobile with this. I don't like the idea of being locked into a phone jack.