Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which are better/faster - E3-12xx series or E5-26xx series?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which are better/faster - E3-12xx series or E5-26xx series?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited April 2013 in General

When I compare the specs of the E3-12xx series and E5-26xx series, the E3 appears to offer high speeds at a lower cost compared with the E5 which offers dual sockets but have a high a premium for higher CPU speeds.

The E5 also has a higher RAM capacity that enables providers to have more VMs even with a dual socket configuration. Does that mean that the E3 series will offer higher performance, at the cost of fewer VMs? ie a provider aiming to the best performance will prefer to use E3s instead?

Comments

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Core vs Core , I would choose the E3.

• Faster E3.
    You are comparing 4 core to 6.

• More better/faster for what?
    I think we have discussed this more than a couple of times =P

And for my personal stuff, I must say (again) that I hate these E5s. Slow for single threaded apps.

So, for my gameservers, if you let me choose a VPS with let's say a single core E3 vs a two core E5 I still choose the E3.
    But for web stuff, I should choose the E5 one.

About the RAM in the nodes, I think the sharing (contention you call it?) ratio is bigger in the E5s because you have lots of RAM, and generally you will be able to put containers in that machines in a bigger proportion than the E3 ones. So, more interruptions, more context switching...

• E3 is better, core 4 core, but if you're looking for some multi-super-duper-threaded application uses, then the E5 would be your friend! :)

• semowebsemoweb Member
    edited April 2013

A E3-1270v2 is faster than a single E5-2620..

Obviously a DUAL E5-2620 blows away the E3-v2-Series..

The E5-2620 is a HEX core.. (6 physical cores) per proc, so lets say you have a DUAL E5-2620 HEX core, you have (12x Physical Cores + 12x Logical Cores - TOTAL 24x Cores) - due to 'HyperThreading'

You should be able to determine from here, what will blow what out of the water :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Everything should be multi threaded by now anyway. Remember there's more to a CPU than clock speed.

• @jarland said: Everything should be multi threaded by now anyway. Remember there's more to a CPU than clock speed.

The Megahertz myth and core myth. For example the Quad-Core i7-3770k is faster (although only slightly) than the Octo-Core FX-8350.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2013

@MrAndroid said: Octo-Core FX-8350.

This unfortunately is not entirely real 8 core, it's rather 4 slabs of almost-two-cores each. Better than a single hyperthreaded core but still not complete two cores.

• This seems to explain why I was getting lower CPU benchmarks on E5s. The prices of 3GHz+ E5s is prohibitive.

Are E5s produced in 22nm technology as well, or are they all 32nm?

• http://ark.intel.com/products/64594

Hmmm, 32, so Sandy Bridge stuff.
    But doesn't make any big difference imho

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2013

Both of them are more than you will ever need, E3 is faster per core E5 provides more power overall when combined but really the question is like saying, what is better a fork or a spoon, they are both used for eating but you would not use a fork for soup in the same way you would not use a spoon for a plate of French fires.

I would rather be on an E5 based VPS node as a consumer because I am more interested in long term stability and more cores = better load distribution.

• @AnthonySmith said: I would rather be on an E5 based VPS node as a consumer because I am more interested in long term stability and more cores = better load distribution.

I'd rather not, since it also means more neighbors. And some neighbors can be... not very nice.

Fair enough, just a preference.

• @rds100 I agree with you .I am more interested in having smaller nodes E3 with less customers.In big nodes with E5,if someone abuses the node and bring it down , it will affect lots of people.In smaller nodes less number of people would be affected

@rds100 said: since it also means more neighbors.

What about a dual E5 node packed with less than many providers would pack in an E3 node? ;)

No one size fits all statement here.

Like I said, just a preference, my E5 nodes have more cores more ram and more drives but with lower density than any other node as it affords me a better economy of scale which I can pass on to clients and is why my latest offers start at 2GB.

Mind you as a Xen host my opinion may be unique around here.

@jarland said: No one size fits all statement here.

your mom...

But on a serious note: well said, I guess we don't get it because we don't look at a node in terms of how many x $7 we can get in to it. :)

@AnthonySmith said: I guess we don't get it because we don't look at a node in terms of how many x $7 we can get in to it. :)

I like to look at it as how many I can get that cancel next month because they didn't need it, AKA free money.

I'm kidding, or am I? ;)

• support123support123 Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith Agreed,E5 will work better in xen with more RAM than E3

• lbftlbft Member

If the E3s weren't limited to 32GB RAM they'd be unstoppable.

• Are the E3s faster because of Ivy Bridge technology, or were they faster even with Sandy Bridge? It looks like Intel hasn't yet upgraded the E5s to Ivy Bridge tech.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited April 2013

@rchurch said: Are the E3s faster because of Ivy Bridge technology, or were they faster even with Sandy Bridge? It looks like Intel hasn't yet upgraded the E5s to Ivy Bridge tech.

They are faster either way. It's because E5 has 6 cores. It'll be hotter and can't run as fast. E3 has 4 cores. Ivy Bridge made a slight difference but not much.

E5s will be upgraded to Ivy Bridge once Haswell hits E3s.

• @concerto49 said: They are faster either way. It's because E5 has 5 cores. It'll be hotter and can't run as fast. E3 has 3 cores.

Not sure if you are trolling or not...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Mind you as a Xen host my opinion may be unique around here.

You're every day worse and worse with that. Hey, you're not lonely! :p We love Xen. We use Xen. It's never enough of Xen! :P

Proudly hosted with: AllSimple Xen, Castlegem Xen, Datarealm Xen (since 2007), Evorack Xen, Greenyhosting Xen, Hitme.pl Xen, PC**** Xen, Syscentral Xen, Torqhost Xen, UP2vps Xen, Vooservers Xen, WeservIT Xen, XenVZ/OpenITC Xen, Yisp Xen.. and InceptionHosting Xen.
    Damn fine hosts! :-)

• @Spencer said: Not sure if you are trolling or not...

The core count was a typo. 3->4 5->6. Consistent spacing issue on my keyboard.

• @concerto49 said: The core count was a typo. 3->4 5->6. Consistent spacing issue on my keyboard.

Still hope you are joking

• @Spencer said: Still hope you are joking

What part of it? More cores do increase the TDP. That's why they had to decrease the clock speed. I don't understand your concern.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited April 2013

@concerto49 said: What part of it? More cores do increase the TDP. That's why they had to decrease the clock speed. I don't understand your concern.

Not all E5s have 6 cores
    http://ark.intel.com/products/64621
    plus others

• @Spencer said: Not all E5s have 6 cores

http://ark.intel.com/products/64621
    plus others

And some of 8 cores. Do you know HOW it is designed/manufactured? They design the chips with the max amount of cores and just fuse off the circuits of those cores that don't pass QA. That's how you have slower models and those with less cores. They don't produce variants. There's 1 chip.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited April 2013

Whatever, most providers will use the slowest (almost) 6 core ones.