Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for Feedback on OwnCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request for Feedback on OwnCloud

What do you think of owncloud? Worth using? Is it safe?
I did a google search, not helpful in what I am looking for... looking for opinions of people on LET community.

Comments

• I've been using it for about 3 years as the backend interface for a shared Plex server. Various users have access to shared folders and the upload videos to folders, which Plex watches.

Got a couple of thousand files on there now and I've always found it to be pretty fast and responsive, even in directories with hundreds of files. Any tweaking for perfomance had been minimal and I use something very close to an out of the box install.

The sync client is...acceptable, definitely not Dropbox standard but it more or less works.

• alownalown Member
    edited December 2016

I use it quite a bit (technically, I use NextCloud, but no real difference yet). I especially like it for using CODE, email, calendar, etc... it kind of replaces gsuite for a few friends and I. Doesn't take a big toll on the server. I can't remember what Plex did to annoy me, but it got replaced by Emby in that set up. There are some plugins for watching things directly in OwnCloud, but they're not very robust.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited December 2016

@Nekki said:
    I've been using it for about 3 years as the backend interface for a shared Plex server. Various users have access to shared folders and the upload videos to folders, which Plex watches.

Got a couple of thousand files on there now and I've always found it to be pretty fast and responsive, even in directories with hundreds of files. Any tweaking for perfomance had been minimal and I use something very close to an out of the box install.

The sync client is...acceptable, definitely not Dropbox standard but it more or less works.

Isn't plex self-sufficient? What do you need owncloud for?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@cheapwebdev said:

@Nekki said:
    I've been using it for about 3 years as the backend interface for a shared Plex server. Various users have access to shared folders and the upload videos to folders, which Plex watches.

Isn't plex self-sufficient? What do you need owncloud for?

As described in @Nikki's post it's to get the content onto the server.

• Anyone have a set of instructions (step by step preferred) on setting up owncloud, and then plex? I have kimsufi which can install owncloud ootb for me... but would prefer to understand the integration component better.

• maybe step 1 google owncloud, step2 google plex or perhaps https://ianmarmour.com/2015/09/27/cloud-based-plextorrent-server-setup-guide/
    and substitute your owncloud folder for the torrent folder? google is really cool, solves lots of questions.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • I've been using ownCloud (Nextcloud) for a couple years now, too, basically as a big shared folder across many devices (a la Dropbox). I'm pretty happy with it; every now and again I get an itching to try seafile or pydio, but Nextcloud works for me. It hosts about 10-12k files now, I think; speed is reasonable but not blazing fast on a 1G OVZ.

Their documentation is pretty comprehensive (trying to be "enterprise friendly"); they've got install guides, tuning, and best practices. I use nginx and php-fpm.

I haven't tried Plex yet, but ownCloud is essentially just a web front-end to a big data directory somewhere on your VPS, so you should be able to point Plex to the same directory to have it serve up videos uploaded through ownCloud.

• cheapwebdev said: Anyone have a set of instructions (step by step preferred) on setting up owncloud, and then plex? I have kimsufi which can install owncloud ootb for me... but would prefer to understand the integration component better.

System administrators are available here, for a fee ofc. Otherwise, Google.

• I'm first here that recommend seafile :D

Maybe my experience with owncloud is obsolete, but when I try it, if I have a lot of small files, the client sync is very slow. Maybe they have made client improvement so the people here don't have the problem. I don't use it for about 1 year before now.

• I did a PoC, owncloud has control concerns. for example, making someone an admin for a group lets them modify their own storage requirements, as well as others.... we shouldn't allow this.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2016

@akhfa said:
    I'm first here that recommend seafile :D

Maybe my experience with owncloud is obsolete, but when I try it, if I have a lot of small files, the client sync is very slow. Maybe they have made client improvement so the people here don't have the problem. I don't use it for about 1 year before now.

Can recommend Seafile which is written in C and Python as opposed to Owncloud's PHP; ultra fast sync, emphasis on file integrity, stable and free client for Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Also interested in this thread. Never use it before, and want to try. What do you guys think is the best option at the moment: Owncloud vs Nextcloud?

• @nqservices said:
    Also interested in this thread. Never use it before, and want to try. What do you guys think is the best option at the moment: Owncloud vs Nextcloud?

NextCloud, for purely political reasons

• TsuyoTsuyo Member
    edited December 2016

I've initially used ownCloud for a year, but migrated to Nextcloud a few weeks ago since a lot of developers abandoned ship at OC and are now actively working on NC (they're busy getting version 11 ready for release). They've gone great lengths to make sure that it stays a drop-in replacement for the people who are migrating, so I can vouch that it was possible to migrate with home folder encryption enabled.

The only flaw is that there aren't any proper build (apart from the source) for the NC Linux desktop sync client. You'll have to fall back on the ownCloud one for that.

• @alown said:

Not interested in politics.. What about technical and features reasons?

And of course the team behind the product. What is the best? I never well understoud why some people leave Owncloud to open Nextcloud.. but that is a conversation for another time.

• @nqservices said:

@alown said:

Not interested in politics.. What about technical and features reasons?

And of course the team behind the product. What is the best? I never well understoud why some people leave Owncloud to open Nextcloud.. but that is a conversation for another time.

Tech and features are currently identical. The devs left to do NextCloud because OwnCloud is increasingly focused on enterprise customers and the team didn't feel it was open/community-oriented enough. I followed the devs and prefer the more open/community approach. One small difference that can be seen is in the usage of CODE. OwnCloud wants you on Enterprise for that. NextCloud doesn't GAF.

As the fork continues, we should see real differences, but that will be down the road. As those occur, it will make sense to approach the choice from a tech/feature stance. Right now, you're just picking a side (politics).

• @mailcheap said:

@akhfa said:
    I'm first here that recommend seafile :D

Can recommend Seafile which is written in C and Python as opposed to Owncloud's PHP; ultra fast sync, emphasis on file integrity, stable and free client for Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile.

+1 for Seafile. I only use owncloud for non-important stuff like linux iso's.
    If you really care about your data, keep away from owncloud or nextcloud.