Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec VPS service will be discontinued - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec VPS service will be discontinued

Comments

• I expected more of a shit storm over this announcement.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2016

I don't think Vortex will be long term as well. Tbh it looks pretty shady to me.
    Not saying they won't be reliable, they just seem to be on top since black friday and we have seen this many times. It's not sustainable nor is any of their offers. E.G Atoms etc. Still for the price you pay it may be worth.
    I had an Atom with them and it ran just great. Support was good, network too.

It's just a feeling. May be wrong, and I hope I am. Got nothing to point at them until now.

• You live , you learn.

Cancelled these ages ago.

• @davidgestiondbi said:

@titus said:
    I'm not happy about it. :/ My Dacentec VPS was reliable and affordable (512mb ram, 25gb disc, 1usd/month (monthly payment!). Currently I disappointed in their business.

That's probably part of the why... Paypal take approx 30% in fees.

Maybe time for: https://sosvps.com/ ?

I chuckled. Not being sarcastic but awesome marketing move!

Thanked by 2bersy Falzo
  • @MrGeneral said:
    I don't think Vortex will be long term as well. Tbh it looks pretty shady to me.
    Not saying they won't be reliable, they just seem to be on top since black friday and we have seen this many times. It's not sustainable nor is any of their offers. E.G Atoms etc. Still for the price you pay it may be worth.

It's just a feeling. May be wrong, and I hope I am. Got nothing to point at them until now.

Didn't stop you trying to blag in a PM for another Atom after you missed the sale though?

We're here for the long term, of course we are and that's one of the very reasons we are being as aggressive as we are in pricing at the moment. Our parent co is investing heavily in this brand and growing our unmanaged services.

Sure, proof is in the pudding.

• @VortexMagnus said:
    Our parent co is investing heavily in this brand and growing our unmanaged services.

Could you link to registration/incorporation details of the parent?

• @vimalware said:

@VortexMagnus said:
    Our parent co is investing heavily in this brand and growing our unmanaged services.

I will get the appropriate information from my manager. Vortex is a registered LLC also.

But our parent is Linovus Holdings Inc based out or Toronto.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@VortexMagnus said:

@vimalware said:

@VortexMagnus said:

I will get the appropriate information from my manager. Vortex is a registered LLC also.

But our parent is Linovus Holdings Inc based out or Toronto.

@vimalware You'd need them to publish registration docs or something, very few places to verify Canadian business ownership without paying a fee - unless they voluntarily list on a few federal services.

@VortexMagnus might want your boss to create a profile on the industry canada site - ic.gc.ca - which involves verifying the business info, etc but essentially it's just a free business directory.

But there's this preliminary name search that shows it's an active corporation in the province of Ontario.

• Thanks @harambe - I'll plug the message to above, I'm just a glorified salesman at the end of the day.. but always happy to do my bit and seek approval for a discount if it helps people in a tight spot which it looked like Dacentec customers might be in.

The internet is a cool place. Why can't we all have access to nice cheap stuff? :)

Thanked by 1switsys

@vimalware

For good measure, VortexNode LLC is an active LLC registered in the state of Ohio.

@VortexMagnus said:
    Thanks @harambe - I'll plug the message to above, I'm just a glorified salesman at the end of the day.. but always happy to do my bit and seek approval for a discount if it helps people in a tight spot which it looked like Dacentec customers might be in.

The internet is a cool place. Why can't we all have access to nice cheap stuff? :)

We've just been burned too many times. Brb, running background checks on everyone in your company.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited December 2016

@VortexMagnus said:

@MrGeneral said:

Didn't stop you trying to blag in a PM for another Atom after you missed the sale though?

We're here for the long term, of course we are and that's one of the very reasons we are being as aggressive as we are in pricing at the moment. Our parent co is investing heavily in this brand and growing our unmanaged services.

Sure, proof is in the pudding.

I did order an Atom for 10USD per month which I let cancel, then sent you a PM asking if you could get me a slot from cancelations. After all, I ALREADY had one with you not for 5USD but 10USD.
    Now your tone/attitude clearly shows that you're in the defensive side, also quite a bit of a prick towards a client who paid for his services, didn't beg for super managed support but asked you for a slot for the Atoms.
    I would even dare to say that, if you were certain about your business, you wouldn't argue with something like "you begged for a slot for an Atom".
    I don't know your company. But, if your company was to "invest" on LET, that wouldn't be a wise choice actually. From hundreds that started here only a few got to grow and are successful.
    In spite of your shameful comment regarding the PM I sent you asking for an Atom, and your attitude towards the words/opinion I mentioned above, I now wish your company doesn't succeed, because you're nothing more then a new comer here living the dream to get rich from this market.
    You may be all crazy with the success of your cheap sales, but not that many take your company serious and quite a few people here have seen companies going down... For years.

That being said, I will for sure buy a dedicated from someone else who isn't such an arrogant guy, even though you did seem to feel sort of attacked... Nice Marketing/PR!
    With all due respect, fuck off.

Cheers

• VortexMagnusVortexMagnus Member
    edited December 2016

@MrGeneral said:
    I did order an Atom for 10USD per month which I let cancel, then sent you a PM asking if you could get me a slot from cancelations. After all, I ALREADY had one with you not for 5USD but 10USD.
    Now your tone/attitude clearly shows that you're in the defensive side, also quite a bit of a prick towards a client who paid for his services, didn't beg for super managed support but asked you for a slot for the Atoms.
    I would even dare to say that, if you were certain about your business, you wouldn't argue with something like "you begged for a slot for an Atom".
    I don't know your company. But, if your company was to "invest" on LET, that wouldn't be a wise choice actually. From hundreds that started there only a few got to grow and are successful.
    In spite of your shameful comment regarding the PM I sent you asking for an Atom, and your attitude towards the words/opinion I mentioned above, I now wish your company doesn't succeed, because you're nothing more then a new comer here living the dream to get rich from this market.
    You may be all crazy with the success of your cheap sales, but not that much take your company serious and quite a few people here have seen companies going down... For years.

That being said, I will for sure buy a dedicated from someone else who isn't suck an arrogant guy, even though you did seem to feel sort of attacked...

Cheers

My point is quite simple - you are quick to judge what we are offering, but also wanted to buy the service. I don't know about your account with us and I don't make any prejudice towards anyone.

"Tbh it looks pretty shady to me." - What's that kind of comment from you all about? It's a pretty defamatory comment that you are making.

We're relatively new to LET, sure. But I'm not new to this industry and neither are the people behind this business. If you do not wish to buy what we are selling, that is fine, but please do not start spreading your unfounded 'thoughts'.

Vortex has been in business for over two years now, nearly three. It was acquired by Linovus back in September and the direction they are taking this business, I'm really enjoying being a part of it. We're investing in new infrastructure and in the New Year, our entire server offering will be reshaped for budget unmanaged services.

Thanked by 1OpticalSwoosh

@MrGeneral said:
    Wall of text.

You shit on him, most likely because you didn't get the deal on the atom, and he hit you back with some light bants. Loosen up.

We're all watching these guys closely, you think @Nekki and other folks here haven't seen these sorts of deals come and then the company vanishes? We're watching and, if gambling, taking the shortest billing cycles possible for a reason.

Thanked by 3Four20 Kris deadbeef
  • lol... pot, kettle, black and all !

edited December 2016

VortexMagnus said: My point is quite simple - you are quick to judge what we are offering, but also wanted to buy the service. I don't know about your account with us and I don't make any prejudice towards anyone.

"Tbh it looks pretty shady to me." - What's that kind of comment from you all about? It's a pretty defamatory comment that you are making.

We're relatively new to LET, sure. But I'm not new to this industry and neither are the people behind this business. If you do not wish to buy what we are selling, that is fine, but please do not start spreading your unfounded 'thoughts'.

Vortex has been in business for over two years now, nearly three. It was acquired by Linovus back in September and the direction they are taking this business, I'm really enjoying being a part of it. We're investing in new infrastructure and in the New Year, our entire server offering will be reshaped for budget unmanaged services.

Harambe said: You shit on him, most likely because you didn't get the deal on the atom, and he hit you back with some light bants. Loosen up.

We're all watching these guys closely, you think @Nekki and other folks here haven't seen these sorts of deals come and then the company vanishes? We're watching and, if gambling, taking the shortest billing cycles possible for a reason.

Ok, allow me to explain better.

Assuming that those are your only/original accounts, @VortexMagnus, @Harambe, you've been here for fucking months, where I've been here for 5 years.

I see a pattern here that I have seen many times, for years. People usually side with companies who provide them cheap deals (I'm El Cheapo, TM, though) while it lasts, but the story changes when the provider disappears and people start blaming them.
    I stated my opinion. From my knowledge, that is allowed here. I couldn't care less about your business, nor you being pissed for expressing my thoughts. I buy cheap servers and VPS'es. I own dozens and dozens of those. Also own reliable VPS'es from many providers here, e.g, @AnthonySmith, @ispirto (Backupsy), @Nick_A/RamNode, and several others.
    I mean it. I've been here for a long time and seen this happen a lot of times.

As for your parent company being in the market for almost two years... Seriously? That's not enough time to be considered a stable company. Usually it takes at least two years for the company to be profitable. Let alone investing in this market.

edited December 2016

For instance... I even got banned for stating my opinions about Delimiter and going a little too far when they were very popular. Mark was a king here when things were running smooth.
    Look at what happened when it hit the shit. In the end, I did laugh (note: I had a server with them for 1y+).
    Would I host any serious stuff with him? Or even with you?
    Hell no.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Ok, allow me to explain better.

Assuming that those are your only/original accounts, @VortexMagnus, @Harambe, you've been here for fucking months, where I've been here for 5 years.

I see a pattern here that I have seen many times, for years. People usually side with companies who provide them cheap deals (I'm El Cheapo, TM, though) while it lasts, but the story changes when the provider disappears and people start blaming them.
    I stated my opinion. From my knowledge, that is allowed here. I couldn't care less about your business, nor you being pissed for expressing my thoughts. I buy cheap servers and VPS'es. I own dozens and dozens of those. Also own reliable VPS'es from many providers here, e.g, @AnthonySmith, @ispirto (Backupsy), @Nick_A/RamNode, and several others.
    I mean it. I've been here for a long time and seen this happen a lot of times.

As for your parent company being in the market for almost two years... Seriously? That's not enough time to be considered a stable company. Usually it takes at least two years for the company to be profitable. Let alone investing in this market.

Almost three years. Hey, I'm completely fine and understand your thoughts. I've been in this business for... nigh on 15 years now.

My side of the business is VortexNode. But Linovus' main activities are outsourced IT support and managed infrastructure for some of Canada's largest real estate, haulage and legal firms (plus other lines of business).

Linovus is, in total, around a team of 60 staff. Most of which are deployed at customer sites providing on-site and regional support to offices of clients.

VortexNode was acquired back in September as a way to distinguish our unmanaged services aside from Linovus. For every break-even Atom we sell, we have another customer in the same location paying more on a managed solution for a similar product. Marketing 101.

I work within a great team of people who are focused on the hosting side of the business. We're going to be launching budget unmanaged servers in Toronto in January, a location which we already well service our corporate clients from (not through VN).

But again, I'm not trying to convince you, just trying to help you understand the bigger picture.

Thanked by 2Saragoldfarb Kris

VortexMagnus said: Almost three years. Hey, I'm completely fine and understand your thoughts. I've been in this business for... nigh on 15 years now.

My side of the business is VortexNode. But Linovus' main activities are outsourced IT support and managed infrastructure for some of Canada's largest real estate, haulage and legal firms (plus other lines of business).

Linovus is, in total, around a team of 60 staff. Most of which are deployed at customer sites providing on-site and regional support to offices of clients.

VortexNode was acquired back in September as a way to distinguish our unmanaged services aside from Linovus. For every break-even Atom we sell, we have another customer in the same location paying more on a managed solution for a similar product. Marketing 101.

I work within a great team of people who are focused on the hosting side of the business. We're going to be launching budget unmanaged servers in Toronto in January, a location which we already well service our corporate clients from (not through VN).

But again, I'm not trying to convince you, just trying to help you understand the bigger picture.

If I were concerned/interested about your company, I'd search it. I didn't because I couldn't care less.

Due to your responses, you're surely aware that I won't comment much further... Right?

Cheers.

• Well, Just would like to add that to us their support has always been very friendly and supportive. From what I could find about their company it does seem as a thought through business model and as he explained, it does make sense from a marketing standpoint. It does work.

Anyway, @MrGeneral if you're really that desperate for an Atom, I'll gladly have one transferred to your account if they allow it. Offer for you only as although I disagree with you on this one I like what you're doing ;)

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Well, Just would like to add that to us their support has always been very friendly and supportive. From what I could find about their company it does seem as a thought through business model and as he explained, it does make sense from a marketing standpoint. It does work.

Anyway, @MrGeneral if you're really that desperate for an Atom, I'll gladly have one transferred to your account if they allow it. Offer for you only as although I disagree with you on this one I like what you're doing ;)

Thank you very much for being nice, as always, but I will surely not pay them a single dime... hehe.

But seriously, thank you very much for your offer :-).

Was a bit desperate since I lost the deal for the online.net Atom server for 5 euros!
    That.. I would accept for sure! :D

Cheers

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @MrGeneral said:

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Well, Just would like to add that to us their support has always been very friendly and supportive. From what I could find about their company it does seem as a thought through business model and as he explained, it does make sense from a marketing standpoint. It does work.

Thank you very much for being nice, as always, but I will surely not pay them a single dime... hehe.

But seriously, thank you very much for your offer :-).

Was a bit desperate since I lost the deal for the online.net Atom server for 5 euros!
    That.. I would accept for sure! :D

Cheers

No problem. I get it. Your loss though :)

• Lol Wall of text over $10. This guy.

Thanked by 2Kris deadbeef

Saragoldfarb said: No problem. I get it. Your loss though :)

Not an issue. Got a nice 10GB RAM KVM for cheap! :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@BradND said:
    Lol Wall of text over $10. This guy.

El Cheapo Grande.

• The el cheapo anger has striken again.

Sad.

Thanked by 2Kris deadbeef
  • MrGeneral said: Got a nice 10GB RAM KVM for cheap! :D

Host4Fun? I think that node was heavily oversold because I was getting terrible IO and CPU perf. Their support was great though and refunded mine. Good to know you got lucky on yours.

• @MrGeneral said:
    I now wish your company doesn't succeed, because you're nothing more then a new comer here living the dream to get rich from this market.
    Cheers

No offense but Karma 101... Never wish negative on others... not cool brother. Especially since many of your peers have services with them. You shitted on him and expect him to reply with a smile?

• @MrGeneral said:
    I don't think Vortex will be long term as well.
    It's just a feeling. May be wrong, and I hope I am.

while I wouldn't estimate any durability by now, I have to admit that I am curious too, how this will work out with and for vortexnode and how long...

MrGeneral said: I see a pattern here that I have seen many times

that's really what comes to mind, without intending offence to anyone directly.

MrGeneral said: People usually side with companies who provide them cheap deals (I'm El Cheapo, TM, though) while it lasts, but the story changes when the provider disappears and people start blaming them.

but if that may count as an argument from your side has to be thought twice, I'd say! hadn't it been you, who made exactly this turn around fashionable a lot lately? ;-) ;-)

@Waldo19 said:

@MrGeneral said:
    I now wish your company doesn't succeed, because you're nothing more then a new comer here living the dream to get rich from this market.
    Cheers

No offense but Karma 101... Never wish negative on others... not cool brother. Especially since many of your peers have services with them. You shitted on him and expect him to reply with a smile?

Yeah, most people here defend their beloved companies when they're getting cheap stuff.
    Same happened with Deliwho.

@yowmamasita said:

MrGeneral said: Got a nice 10GB RAM KVM for cheap! :D

Host4Fun? I think that node was heavily oversold because I was getting terrible IO and CPU perf. Their support was great though and refunded mine. Good to know you got lucky on yours.

Yes, the IO isn't perfect, but still worth :p. Mine runs fine and network is pretty fast.

@Foul said:
    The el cheapo anger has striken again.

Sad.

If you read above, not the one who started this, but as mentioned above as well, I don't want to keep it going...?