Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Network/Bandwidth Monitoring do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Network/Bandwidth Monitoring do you use?

Hi all,

just want to know, what network/bandwidth monitoring do you use guys.
is any bandwidth monitoring tools than can check and sort which ip address that eat biggest bandwidth etc.

i have several website, most content is images in total about 100Gb. in 4 days, i ate 2Tb bandwidth, im use cloudflare in front all of domain, all is 'cache everything' with lengh cache 1 month. im use vestacp as panel, just want to know why i ate much bandwidth even using cloudflare.

any suggestion is wellcome. thanks

Comments

• Do you honestly think that CloudFlare would cache 100GB??

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

If you use CloudFlare they give you a chart of usage per domain. Check the cached/uncached ratio there.

• @doghouch said:
    Do you honestly think that CloudFlare would cache 100GB??

since i use free plan, im not sure. but on analysis look like it cached.

@Harambe said:
    If you use CloudFlare they give you a chart of usage per domain. Check the cached/uncached ratio there.

per domain says, 220gb of 250gb bandwidth is cached. but not sure why i still ate much bandwidth.

anyway, what tools that usually used for check network/bandwidth usage?

vnstat for just total port usage, can do daily/monthly breakdowns and live monitoring

root@server:~# vnstat -i eth0
    Database updated: Thu Dec  1 22:39:26 2016

eth0 since 02/09/16

rx:  2.51 TiB      tx:  12.22 TiB      total:  14.73 TiB

monthly
                         rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
         ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
           Nov '16    340.79 GiB |    6.50 TiB |    6.83 TiB |   22.65 Mbit/s
           Dec '16      2.70 GiB |   81.63 GiB |   84.33 GiB |    8.67 Mbit/s
         estimated     88.70 GiB |    2.62 TiB |    2.70 TiB |

daily
                         rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
         yesterday      4.77 GiB |  102.96 GiB |  107.73 GiB |   10.46 Mbit/s
             today      2.70 GiB |   81.63 GiB |   84.33 GiB |    8.67 Mbit/s
         estimated      2.86 GiB |   86.50 GiB |   89.36 GiB |

I run NewRelic server monitor (free) on most boxes and that graphs network usage.

Where are you getting the 2TB figure from?

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • @Harambe currently i use iftop and nethogs, but it have a lots of transmit. look like from cloudflare, but i cant sure of that since iftop and nethogs its live monitoring without statistic.

for other monitoring service i use nixstats. is true that cloudflare is not real cache everything?

@andiklive said:
    @Harambe currently i use iftop and nethogs, but it have a lots of transmit. look like from cloudflare, but i cant sure of that since iftop and nethogs its live monitoring without statistic.

for other monitoring service i use nixstats. is true that cloudflare is not real cache everything?

Double check their list of file types they cache and file sizes. They cache as much as possible for as long as possible. Like you said 220GB cached out of 250GB - that's an 88% cache hit ratio, not amazing but not horrible either for a free service.

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • @Harambe said:
    Double check their list of file types they cache and file sizes. They cache as much as possible for as long as possible. Like you said 220GB cached out of 250GB - that's an 88% cache hit ratio, not amazing but not horrible either for a free service.

will do, i will optimize it. thanks for your suggestion

• have you tried to deactive cloudflare? i think they cache trough all of their location, that will eat your bandwidth.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Just wait a couple of weeks for caching to have fetched more content. If you have world wide traffic I think each of their pop's will fetch the content from your site so it might take longer to cache everything.

If you want to completely offset all data looks for a CDN where you can push the data directly to the CDN pops.

• did you try to optimize CF's pagerules? free account able to set up to 5 pagerules.

• @mgilang said:
    have you tried to deactive cloudflare? i think they cache trough all of their location, that will eat your bandwidth.

yeah i guest they fetched from all their location, thats why eat much bandwidth.

@vfuse said:
    Just wait a couple of weeks for caching to have fetched more content. If you have world wide traffic I think each of their pop's will fetch the content from your site so it might take longer to cache everything.

If you want to completely offset all data looks for a CDN where you can push the data directly to the CDN pops.

for now i love their free plan, actually traffic is optimised for USA only. will consider use another cdn service if still eat much bandwidth in next week.

@fazar said:
    did you try to optimize CF's pagerules? free account able to set up to 5 pagerules.

i do, it have 3 page rules on free plans.