Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are these good enough?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are these good enough?

Hi, while I was looking for a small linux vps I found this website and ended up spending a few hours looking at offers but in the end I couldn't decide and I wanted to ask your opinion on the matter.

I'm currently looking for a small linux vps with full root access with a yearly billing cycle that will host a static website, a very small MySQL DB and some lightweight apps I develop from time to time.

For this purpose I've been looking at either VirMach's Elite+, Pro+, SSD1G or SSD2G plans, or i-83's 256mb plans that I've found here on LEB. I was considering VirMach because it offers more RAM which I think is important when hosting a DB, but I'm not completely sure about that as I don't have a lot of experience. On the other hand, i-83 offers amazingly low prices but also probably not enough RAM to host all of that.

I don't plan to have a lot of users, I think at best 30 people at once, since it's going to be used by a small group of people. My only worries are RAM and possibly CPU, as well as transfer speed and limits (1TB @ 1Gbps or 100Mbps is probably fine). I do plan on storing something like 30-50gb of data, but if disk space makes the cost raise I'm planning to use services like storj if it makes me save up.

As for the os, I only had experience with the latest version of Debian so far so I'd love it if I got a vps with it.

Comments

• Well, judging by the space you need, I'd go for Pro+ since 30 people on your site won't cause that much load on that proc, as for the OS goes I'm pretty sure that they will have a list from where to pick up your desired OS, just take into consideration that while using OpenVZ virtualization you will be forced to use the Host's kernel 2.6, however you'll have 2GB of ram to play with.

• mrdarkimrdarki Member
    edited December 2016

https://virmach.com/special-offers/

Memory: 1GB
    CPU: 2 vCore @ 2GHz
    Disk: 25GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BW: 750GB @ 1Gbps

• @rivermigue said:
    just take into consideration that while using OpenVZ virtualization you will be forced to use the Host's kernel 2.6, however you'll have 2GB of ram to play with.

What does this mean? I don't know how OpenVZ or KVM work. Do I basically get restricted features?

@mrdarki said:
    https://virmach.com/special-offers/

Memory: 1GB
    CPU: 2 vCore @ 2GHz
    Disk: 25GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BW: 750GB @ 1Gbps

I think I'll go for this but I want to know what @rivermigue's talking about first. Thanks!

• khryus said: i-83's 256mb plans that I've found here on LEB

Thanks for considering us, if you have any questions feel free to drop us a sales enquiry.

khryus said: What does this mean? I don't know how OpenVZ or KVM work. Do I basically get restricted features?

OpenVZ runs on the hypervisor kernel and is typically v2.6~ with access to only modules that are enabled by the host - fuse etc. With KVM you can load and customise your own kernel within the instance. Fran has a good explainer on it here.

• Exactly what @i83 said regarding this

• @i83 said:

khryus said: i-83's 256mb plans that I've found here on LEB

Thanks for considering us, if you have any questions feel free to drop us a sales enquiry.

khryus said: What does this mean? I don't know how OpenVZ or KVM work. Do I basically get restricted features?

OpenVZ runs on the hypervisor kernel and is typically v2.6~ with access to only modules that are enabled by the host - fuse etc. With KVM you can load and customise your own kernel within the instance. Fran has a good explainer on it here.

Thanks for the reply, I'll read that article and hopefully take a decision. Do you have any ETAs on your 1gb ram plans? Should I be worried about RAM in the first place? I mean, I don't think what I want to set up is too demanding hardware-wise, but 256/512mb RAM is probably just too little.

• khryus said: Thanks for the reply, I'll read that article and hopefully take a decision. Do you have any ETAs on your 1gb ram plans? Should I be worried about RAM in the first place? I mean, I don't think what I want to set up is too demanding hardware-wise, but 256/512mb RAM is probably just too little.

Remember that you can scale your VPS at any given time if you need to, meaning that you can start with small resources if you are unsure about your consumption.

• khryus said: Do you have any ETAs on your 1gb ram plans?

Fingers crossed for this week, just waiting on a few bits of new hardware to go live in a few locations before we launch.

khryus said: Should I be worried about RAM in the first place?

Without knowing your exact setup I wouldn't be able to comment accurately.

I have seen some of our users cram a lot into 128/256mb though!

khryus said: 256/512mb RAM is probably just too little.

But you can upgrade as @rivermigue said.

• khryuskhryus Member
    edited December 2016

@khryus said:

Thanks for the reply, I'll read that article and hopefully take a decision.

I read up and I think KVM might be the better choice over time. I will try OpenVZ first though and switch to KVM if I need it later on.

@rivermigue said:

khryus said: Thanks for the reply, I'll read that article and hopefully take a decision. Do you have any ETAs on your 1gb ram plans? Should I be worried about RAM in the first place? I mean, I don't think what I want to set up is too demanding hardware-wise, but 256/512mb RAM is probably just too little.

Remember that you can scale your VPS at any given time if you need to, meaning that you can start with small resources if you are unsure about your consumption.

Well, I didn't even consider this. Thanks!

@i83 said:

khryus said: Do you have any ETAs on your 1gb ram plans?

Fingers crossed for this week, just waiting on a few bits of new hardware to go live in a few locations before we launch.

>

Good luck, and thanks for the support! To be honest I was considering buying off of you considering the way more affordable yearly prices, but VirMach's special offer won me over for now. I'll keep an eye out for better offers throughout the year though :)

• Glad I could help on your decision

• @rivermigue said:
    Glad I could help on your decision

Thanks!

• Depending on how tech savvy you are and willing to live without support, there are other cheaper hosting providers as well (like Hostodo.. don't recommend but meet needs if you agree with what I said earlier).

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@i83 said:

Don't leave us hanging there, I thought we were going to have story time.

• edited December 2016

A RAM equals to 3 times the size of your DB should be enough.
    And install Debian 7 32bit.

• @i83 said:

How do you see that?

• @Yura said:

How do you see that?

Had a few nice chats with users over support tickets about configurations and optimisations over the years, some of you guys are really chatty.

We also reached out while back to customers to get their usage feedback as in the next redesign of our site we wanted to showcase some of the active use cases for NAT services.

• khryuskhryus Member
    edited December 2016

@cheapwebdev said:
    Depending on how tech savvy you are and willing to live without support, there are other cheaper hosting providers as well (like Hostodo.. don't recommend but meet needs if you agree with what I said earlier).

Aw I already went and bought the server :(

Got it working at least ! Everything's fine for now, I have no complaints. Thanks everyone!

• 30 people at once is not a small website. It means, over 10-30K people per day, if at least half of the day will get that crowdy.
    I think that you mean you will have some dozen of users using your site. Putting together some light apps and a small mysql, you can use a 256 vps and fulfill your needs.

• @khryus said:

@cheapwebdev said:
    Depending on how tech savvy you are and willing to live without support, there are other cheaper hosting providers as well (like Hostodo.. don't recommend but meet needs if you agree with what I said earlier).

Aw I already went and bought the server :(

Got it working at least ! Everything's fine for now, I have no complaints. Thanks everyone!

They got an active deal on LowEndBox, check it out. Why do I not recommend?? - I am currently asking for a refund as I was offered 7 day window via email... they seem to be taking their time and stalling. Plan to submit American Express claim tomorrow afternoon.

• @jvnadr said:
    30 people at once is not a small website.

lol