Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Much interest in high ram low disk space servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Much interest in high ram low disk space servers?

2»

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2016

@Gcat, if you can work with 15 GB Disk, I can do it for $20/month with 24 GB RAM (only 1 available) in Incero Dallas on 100 Mbps port limit for the VPS.

• Hostus has a 6GB RAM plan for $18/qtr, 150 GB HDD OpenVZ... If you can offer the same with 50GB SSD instead of the HDD I would happily jump over...

• @wwabbit said:
    Hostus has a 6GB RAM plan for $18/qtr, 150 GB HDD OpenVZ... If you can offer the same with 50GB SSD instead of the HDD I would happily jump over...

...but that's OVZ.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Assuming I have not yet signed up from your promotion this week, this would indeed be interesting.

A sample usage of mine is hosting a Java database driven web application. So high ram and less disk is very applicable. The Java app will eat 500MB to 1GB RAM. While MySQL with tuned parameter maybe 1-2GB RAM. So that would be 3GB. A 4GB VPS would be very responsive for this. And such application may only need 5GB-20GB max disk.

If you have such product, I think it would be attractive to Java and RoR developers. Maybe you can market to such audience.

If you have 8GB RAM, maybe have a template with Gogs and Jenkins. Then developers might be very happy.

• I'd like something like transip.nl does. Small primary SSD, and mount a massive cheap SATA datastore (can even be raid5/6 no big deal). That way I can put the whole webapp on the VM instead of doing ridiculous transportation.

• thekreekthekreek Member
    edited December 2016

@AnthonySmith it depends on the usage of the VPS, I wanted to get one of your 6GB RAM OVZ deals for a moodle project I'm currently working, the high RAM and storage would be very helpfull on this kind of site.

But most of the sites I work on fit on a 20gb hd including OS and software packages.
    I have a small VPS acting just as a VPN server and last time I check its storage usage was under 4gb (kvm, 512mb ram, debian 7).

PS: if you make the ovz deal available again I will try to grab it ;)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

In the 'cloud' space where you run smaller units disk space beyond 3 or 4G is often not really needed on some nodes, i.e load balancers. But other nodes i.e DB servers very necessary.

Thanked by 1vimalware