Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bandwidth needs per server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bandwidth needs per server

Wondering if anyone would have any insight as to how much bandwidth an average VPS host server uses? I dont know what type of connectivity one should expect per rack or per VPS host.

Comments

• No such thing, depends on what you sell entirely package wise, country/upstream pricing and more things (eg. if your BW is 1$/Mbit you will sell higher packages at the same price or use generally more and bill it through than if your BW is HK avg. of 30$/Mbit).

• I am within the US so 1/MBit is a pretty fair guess at bandwidth costs.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited November 2016

Icarusfixius said: I am within the US so 1/MBit is a pretty fair guess at bandwidth costs.

That is.. useless information, as you can still not calculate it out, if you sell 1TB on a 5$ VPS your BW needs will end up way different than at 200GB per VPS, even if you pay 1$ to your upstream.

We use up to 10G per rack easily, but again - this is not a general usage case that can be just 1:1 adapted, and neither can anyone else unless you 100% do/sell the same from the same location at the same price and happen to have 100% the same amount of customers and their 100% same usage patterns.

• I understand it will vary heavily i am just trying to get a rough idea of what i should budget for bandwidth. I have quotes for 1G dedicated all the way up to 10G dedicated. I have no idea how to determine roughly what a rack may consume. Do I need to plan for the get go to have a 10G link can a rack be run on a 100MB commit with 1G burst? All clients limited at 100mb and assuming 500 clients per rack? Most clients will have a 1TB limit though I would imagine alot of them do not use all of their bandwidth. Im just trying to understand how people look at this even on a basic level. I feel like i am missing two many pieces of this to make an educated decision but I dont know how to get the information I dont have.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited December 2016

For starters, stop mixing Mb and MB.

• Icarusfixius said: i am missing two many pieces of this to make an educated decision

You are, at first you seem to think someone sells you a 10G port with 100Mbit commit at reasonable price (nope), then you confuse TB based billing with 95% your upstream bills you (this can cost you a LOT of money if you give clients Gbit ports).

This is also very moot entirely, no one should have a rack below 10G anymore and even if - you need 10G hardware anyway to have an upgrade path without changes in the future, then can still just plug Gbit optics into it fine.

• Sorry, teamacc I do know the difference just get carried away when typing. It is very confusing to read and for that I apologize.

William I appreciate your willingness to explain things a bit. I do currently have a 10G switch I am just unsure how to determine what the CDR may look like. Network is by far the biggest cost to look at with a rack and when I have no idea what it may cost it is hard to determine what a given set of resources cost to host.