Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FreeBSD Jails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FreeBSD Jails

Are there any providers still offering FreeBSD jail containers? RootBSD has moved to Xen. VDS6 has moved to OVZ and KVM. My own Google searching hasn’t turned up anything – except old links to RootBSD. So, I’m assuming that there is simply no market for it. But, I thought I’d check here in case any LET folks knew otherwise.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

What's wrong with just KVM + FreeBSD?

Francisco

Thanked by 1folio
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited November 2016

@Francisco

I assume he wants the management, etc included with a BSD jail.

Thanked by 1folio
  • EasyISP used to offer jail, but now uses Bhyve I just discovered..
    http://easyisp.no/produkter/virtual_server

Thanked by 1folio
  • I was looking at BSDvm yesterday, and pretty much ended up with precisely the same end result. MNX.IO doesn't offer jailed, but their VMs have been incredibly speedy, and I certainly can't complain about the prices.

Thanked by 1folio
  • @WSS said:
    BSDvm

I'll admit i misread that.

• I just started using FreeBSD this past month and I absolutely love it, just wish I could find more providers that offer it.

Thanked by 1folio
  • I believe all KVM providers offer FreeBSD, some of them might offer support, some of them might not, due as solusvm limitation with size of FreeBSD, our company manage to create a script to resize the hdd of FreeBSD KVM based virtual servers, we have also been working with FreeBSD since 2000, so if you need KVM based using FreeBSD platform, you just need to ask, i believe there are a lot of people who works with FreeBSD

Thanked by 1folio
  • I believe all KVM providers offer FreeBSD, some of them might offer support, some of them might not, due as solusvm limitation with size of FreeBSD, our company manage to create a script to resize the hdd of FreeBSD KVM based virtual servers, we have also been working with FreeBSD since 2000, so if you need KVM based using FreeBSD platform, you just need to ask, i believe there are a lot of people who works with FreeBSD

Your sig link is a 404.

• @WSS said:

Yes i know, due as whmcs upgrade we had to change our theme, which is work in progress for the moment.

• @sin said:
    I just started using FreeBSD this past month and I absolutely love it, just wish I could find more providers that offer it.

Great choice! I love FreeBSD myself. There are plenty of KVM VPS providers that are excellent BSD hosts. Pick a few and try them out. Enjoy your own jails.

Best of luck.

• @ipguru said:

@sin said:
    I just started using FreeBSD this past month and I absolutely love it, just wish I could find more providers that offer it.

Great choice! I love FreeBSD myself. There are plenty of KVM VPS providers that are excellent BSD hosts. Pick a few and try them out. Enjoy your own jails.

Best of luck.

Care to mention any of your choice? My latest KVM doesn't have CD-ROM enabled (yet), so I'm still sitting on Debian 8. The other one I trust (and love) is a bit expensive for a throwaway nameserver/toy..

• I'm sorry but what is a "Jail container" ?

• @FredQc said:

GOOGLE It

• sinsin Member
    edited December 2016

WSS said: Care to mention any of your choice? My latest KVM doesn't have CD-ROM enabled (yet), so I'm still sitting on Debian 8. The other one I trust (and love) is a bit expensive for a throwaway nameserver/toy..

Here's the providers I'm using FreeBSD on: Liteserver.nl (they have they latest FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD isos for you to mount/install), Leaseweb (they have FreeBSD 9, 10, 10.1), VULTR (mount your own FreeBSD iso), HostUS (they have FreeBSD 10.3 ISO and you can request 11.0 like I did), and Vapor Node has FreeBSD 10.3, 11.0

I'm attempting to move a lot of my servers to FreeBSD as I have found that I absolutely love it (was using Debian and Ubuntu before that on my servers).

Thanked by 4WSS ipguru vimalware tmwc
  • Thanks for that info. I've got a handful of QEMU KVMs, but PiServ is the first I managed to shoehorn FBSD 11 onto (and stick). I'd been away since the 6.x days (when sysinstall was still a thing), and not a lot has changed from a userland perspective beyond memory footprint and kernel compiling suggestions. It feels much more like home, more so than debian w/ systemd..

• @WSS said:
    Care to mention any of your choice? My latest KVM doesn't have CD-ROM enabled (yet), so I'm still sitting on Debian 8. The other one I trust (and love) is a bit expensive for a throwaway nameserver/toy..

I've had great success with DO, Vultr, BuyVM, etc. Last night even was successful getting FreeBSD installed on Linode. It really is a matter of finding a host with all the features you need and installing it. I've found most KVM hosts are open to providing the ISO and letting you install it.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @WSS said:
    Thanks for that info. I've got a handful of QEMU KVMs, but PiServ is the first I managed to shoehorn FBSD 11 onto (and stick). I'd been away since the 6.x days (when sysinstall was still a thing), and not a lot has changed from a userland perspective beyond memory footprint and kernel compiling suggestions. It feels much more like home, more so than debian w/ systemd..

FreeBSD 11 has some enhancements but the point I like most is the consistent approach. Good luck getting back in the swing of things.

• Forgot to mention that I purchased a Mikrovps.hu XEN-HVM (using their 50% promo so it came to $5.55 for 3 cores, 1GB, 50GB disk, and 2TB bandwidth) and they added a FreeBSD iso for me within minutes of requesting it. It works great but for the life of me I can't get ipv6 to work reliably on it (ping ipv6.google.com will ping 7 times and then stop, then start pinging again for 7 to 8 times and then stop...if I ping the gateway then it works for a couple seconds more but then goes back to more packetloss...I installed linux and with linux it worked perfectly shrugs)

• @sin said:
    Forgot to mention that I purchased a Mikrovps.hu XEN-HVM (using their 50% promo so it came to $5.55 for 3 cores, 1GB, 50GB disk, and 2TB bandwidth) and they added a FreeBSD iso for me within minutes of requesting it. It works great but for the life of me I can't get ipv6 to work reliably on it (ping ipv6.google.com will ping 7 times and then stop, then start pinging again for 7 to 8 times and then stop...if I ping the gateway then it works for a couple seconds more but then goes back to more packetloss...I installed linux and with linux it worked perfectly shrugs)

Did you build your own kernel? I've heard of issues with XEN and SMP / Network issues.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2016

@sin said:

So far, AlphaRacks*, HostODO, IntegralHost, LaunchVPS, MNX.IO, Nodion, PiLayer, Rectified, VortexNode, and Virmach have allowed me to run *BSDs on their KVMs. Most of them mounted my requested ISO and let me roll with it. Nodion is the first one to say "Use our build", and politely balked at my request for NetBSD/OpenBSD, but I'm sure they'd let me if I never asked them for support. I like each of the above hosts for different reasons. Don't make me choose!

• Pending ISO mount
  • WSS said: So far, AlphaRacks*, HostODO, IntegralHost, LaunchVPS, MNX.IO, Nodion, PiLayer, Rectified, VortexNode, and Virmach have allowed me to run *BSDs on their KVMs. Most of them mounted my requested ISO and let me roll with it. Nodion is the first one to say "Use our build", and politely balked at my request for NetBSD/OpenBSD, but I'm sure they'd let me if I never asked them for support. I like each of the above hosts for different reasons. Don't make me choose!

I would add BuyVM, Hostigation, and LiteServer to your list as *BSD-friendly providers.

By the way, if Nodion wouldn't accept NetBSD or OpenBSD, I wouldn't unreservedly consider them a *BSD-friendly provider.

Thanked by 3Francisco sin WSS
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited December 2016

They didn't say that they wouldn't do it- only that they would not support it. I didn't really push farther as I have a pretty lowend vps with them- and I wanted FreeBSD anyhow.

• We allow you to mount your own ISO using a direct URL.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • WSS said: They didn't say that they wouldn't do it- only that they would not support it. I didn't really push farther as I have a pretty lowend vps with them- and I wanted FreeBSD anyhow.

Well, we're in the context of unmanaged services anyway, so I'm not sure what "support" would mean here. It may be more of a fear on their part that they would receive questions such as "How can I set up IPv6 on my OpenBSD VPS?", which they would prefer to avoid at the outset. But since it's an unmanaged service, they could justifiably decline such questions anyway.