Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean vs Linode vs Vultr - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean vs Linode vs Vultr

13»

Comments

• edited June 2018

Anyone know what kind of RAID Vultr uses? I heard rumors that Vultr uses RAID 0. Bad for customers when a drive fails but good for them because it gives better performance and more storage for less cost (to them).

Unlike Vultr, I think DO advertises RAID 10. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• FredQcFredQc Member

LosPollosHermanos said: Anyone know what kind of RAID Vultr uses?

For the 1000th time, NO.

And seriously, does it matter ?

• edited June 2018

@FredQc said:

LosPollosHermanos said: Anyone know what kind of RAID Vultr uses?

For the 1000th time, NO.

Who pissed in your cornflakes? Where was this asked 1000 times?

And seriously, does it matter ?

Fuck yea it matters! Some people might actually want to use it for more than just tinkering around.

• HarzemHarzem Member

LosPollosHermanos said: Where was this asked 1000 times?

This forum. I would say 1000 is a modest number. The last one is from 4 days ago:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2795138/#Comment_2795138

I'm copying my replies from there to here:

Vultr was never RAID-0. When asked about their storage configuration, they didn't disclose it. Some schmuck started the rumor that they aren't disclosing because it must be RAID 0. The rumor stuck.

How do I know:

• Multiple servers over the years never having a catastrophic failure. Harzemdesign.com is on vultr as well as my dev servers. It's been years (almost since they started) and my servers never lost data.

• Lack of floods from people on LET complaining about how Vultr lost their data. If Vultr was RAID-0, don't you think you'd know it by know on this forum?

• Common business sense. Do you think they would still be in business if they kept losing customer data every day? With the amount of their servers, RAID-0 failures would happen more frequently than daily.

LosPollosHermanos said:
    Fuck yea it matters! Some people might actually want to use it for more than just tinkering around.

Are you seriously, fully sober and in control of your mental faculties, believe that if Vultr used RAID-0, you would be the first ever person to lose data? Do you think if Vultr wasn't "business-ready", you still would have to ask this on a forum like LET?

Thanked by 3FredQc sleddog sin
  • verpexverpex Member

Vultr seems to have a new set of plans in place, have you checked them out?

• I've never see a Vultr or Linode data-loss thread here.

There were a few data-loss incidences with DigitalOcean, but that were a long time ago, nothing recent.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited June 2018

Cloud servers are cheap, it's easy to protect your data. Make a GlusterFS volume so that if any servers go down, your storage is still replicating and available over the network using the other available servers.

Think of it as a software network RAID. Throw some CPU time and network bandwidth at it and you can have extremely resilient storage for incredibly cheap. It even performs well enough for hypervisors to run VMs off of (I do this in my lab).

You can also span cloud providers with geo-replica volumes. If, for example, all of your storage at DO goes down, you can still be available at Google. Do this with Kubernetes and a cloud-native application/deployment, and you can stop worrying about uptime.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited June 2018

Vultr seems to have a new set of plans in place

Where?

• what platform do they use? is it open source?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Harzem said: Vultr was never RAID-0. When asked about their storage configuration, they didn't disclose it. Some schmuck started the rumor that they aren't disclosing because it must be RAID 0. The rumor stuck.

I started that rumor to try to coerce them into stating their RAID level, accusing them of using a dangerous one and that being the only reasonable reason that one would consider RAID level to be something like a "trade secret" that customers do not deserve to know. (I did not work for a competitor at that time btw)

Harzem said: Multiple servers over the years never having a catastrophic failure. Harzemdesign.com is on vultr as well as my dev servers. It's been years (almost since they started) and my servers never lost data.

Circumstantial. RAID0 can last fine for years. Multiple servers can fail daily without you ever hearing about it or being on one of them. I bet AWS loses a server every few hours at their scale. At some scale, even a 0.01% failure rate means daily hardware loss.

I use Vultr btw, I think I pay around $100/m there. I'm positive they're smarter than to put servers in RAID0. I still think it's a stupid thing to refuse to disclose, and that the only legitimate reason for it is that the answer would not be to our liking.

• ArisCArisC Member

@jarland said:
    I still think it's a stupid thing to refuse to disclose.

+1

Thanked by 1jar